Switching to Sky

MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Quick question, hoping someone with experience can reassure me.

Just placed an order to switch to Sky Broadband, no mention or request for MAC during the ordering process.

Is this something - they cover later / don't need / I should get from my existing provider in readiness for Sky remembering at last minute?

Comments

• GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure how Sky works, but you do need a MAC code to switch, so id just give them a quick call. :)
  • richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just in the process of switching from sky to bt, i asked sky for a mac code but they said i didn't need one and bt hasn't asked for one
  • iniltousiniltous Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Sky are providing your service as a LLU MPF (very likely) they don't ask for, or need a MAC as you are not migrating between WLR providers, but you may get charged an extra £30 by the provider you are leaving, a broadband cease charge...
    are you keeping the same number you currently have or are you getting a new number from Sky ?, if you are keeping the same number then your old provider will obviously need to know as they port the number to your new provider, but do Sky or you advise your old provider that you are leaving ?
  • MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got a "sorry your leaving" email from PlusNet so looks like all the dots have been joined up without a MAC, I'm out of contract with PlusNet so there better not be a fee (would still be cheaper even with a £30 fee).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the LLU won't need a one, sounds like its all going to plan anyway.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would you need to request one?
    i know you have static and dynamic MAC addresses, but since it's pertinent to the hardware i wouldn't think you could from them

of course, i could be totally wrong :D
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    would you need to request one?
    i know you have static and dynamic MAC addresses, but since it's pertinent to the hardware i wouldn't think you could from them

of course, i could be totally wrong :D

I think you have the terminology confused.

What is being discussed is a Migration Authorisation Code which is a code you obtain from your current supplier and pass on to your new supplier. This code allows the new provider to perform the process of changing over the broadband theoretically with minimum disruption.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/internet/broadband-switching/switching-broadband-provider/

Though all this could be changing following an Ofcom review of the process.

By Static or Dynamic MAC address do you actually mean IP Address? A MAC Address is a unique ID code assigned to a bit of network hardware. It is usually fixed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update:

Transfer went smoothly on 03/10/2014.

Today (11/10/2014) PlusNet have emailed me with a bill for the period 11/10/2014 to 10/11/2014, extremely odd when they gave me a refund for the period 03/10/2014 to 10/10/2014 the day before!

Always fun navigating their torturous website until you finally find a way to the ticketing system rather than "Jess" the virtual assistant (who being a logical computer doesn't seem to have been programmed with responses for PlusNet screw ups).

Will be happy to get this wrapped up and forgotten, I won't miss their dire customer service!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to hear the transfer went smoothly :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update:

Having cancelled my Plusnet direct debit on 11/10/14 (at their request) I am now being inundated with emails reminding me that I "owe" them £9.99 and that I don't have a valid payment method.

Visiting their website, almost every page has a 'pay now' link splashed on it and trying to get to the ticketing system is even more torturous than normal as half the time clicking on a link takes me to a "pay now" page.

A seriously poor company for customer support, this issue should have been dealt with when I first notified them of their error!