Leona Lewis - 4th Studio Album confirmed

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I thought Glassheart was a pretty solid and cohesive album, if a little ballad heavy. I also thought that in comparison to Spirit and Echo she didn't quite test her vocals as much on GH.

I would like to hear something totally random from her, like an acoustic set or pop-rock. It would also be interesting to hear how her voice sounds operatically as she is known to be classically trained and practices her scales often.
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    The thing that annoys me about Leona is that she never picks the right singles for her album or never releases enough singles. Her First Album Take A Bow and Yesterday would have been great singles especially Take A Bow which would have smashed . Her second Album Outta My Head was a smash waiting to happen and third album Glassheart should have also been released.
    Forum Member
    4troy7 wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me about Leona is that she never picks the right singles for her album or never releases enough singles. Her First Album Take A Bow and Yesterday would have been great singles especially Take A Bow which would have smashed . Her second Album Outta My Head was a smash waiting to happen and third album Glassheart should have also been released.

Absolutely agree, there were songs on each of the albums that should have not been overlooked in favour of others singles wise, unfortunately though I think its probably more the label to blame than Leona, I actually sometimes wonder if they are holding her true artistry back in the hopes of milking her vocal ability for all its worth on what the public have come to expect with the balladry, she is capable of so much more than just slowie songs! In fact some of her up tempo works have been her best. Such as Glassheart, Love Letter, the ones you named and others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    I think if these tracks, which I liked, have followed some major big hits they'd have worked better. But she really needed a big iconic smash as a comeback single. Trouble would have been a good follow up but the album needed a HUGE song and this it lacked.

She still needs a song equal to Bleeding Love and I fear that boat has sailed.

Yeah, I don't think those single choices I listed would have lifted her back to the Bleeding Love heights, but could have got her potentially heading back in that direction.
    4troy7 wrote: »

I think Can't Breathe would have made a great single from Echo too. I See You being released as a single in its own right certainly wouldn't have hurt either. Don't know if we can blame Syco for that one, I think it was more of licensing/contractual thing with Avatar and James Cameron.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Glassheart was a pretty solid and cohesive album, if a little ballad heavy. I also thought that in comparison to Spirit and Echo she didn't quite test her vocals as much on GH.

I would like to hear something totally random from her, like an acoustic set or pop-rock. It would also be interesting to hear how her voice sounds operatically as she is known to be classically trained and practices her scales often.

She listed one of her influences as Kate Bush. I'm not saying her writing is equal to her, but it would be interesting if she displayed that influence more, even covered one of Kate's lesser known songs - just not This Woman's Work, everyone's done that. :)
    Forum Member
    She listed one of her influences as Kate Bush. I'm not saying her writing is equal to her, but it would be interesting if she displayed that influence more, even covered one of Kate's lesser known songs - just not This Woman's Work, everyone's done that. :)

Even better idea dude! Covering someone with such credibility would and should get her some mega kudos, its not like she couldn't nail some of Bush's material! As long as its not Babooshka lol that song always made me cringe for some reason haha
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can imagine her doing "Running Up That Hill" a lot of justice.
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    I think Can't Breathe would have made a great single from Echo too. I See You being released as a single in its own right certainly wouldn't have hurt either. Don't know if we can blame Syco for that one, I think it was more of licensing/contractual thing with Avatar and James Cameron.[/QUOTE] Oh yes forgot about Can't Breathe that would have been a great single as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    I can imagine her doing "Running Up That Hill" a lot of justice.

Again, that's another song that gets covered a lot. That's why I suggested a lesser known song.

Cloudbusting?
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to hear a Christmas album from Leona. She's got the voice for the big gospel numbers.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 years between albums isn't such a problem with good management behind the artist. There has almost been 3 years since Teenage Dream(Katy Perry), yet her star has risen. Leona's has dropped :( Before people say their personalities are completely different - you're right. I personally like Leona's personality but that refusing to sing incident on that overseas X Factor show was a classic example of how the general public are rarely allowed to see it.
    Taking 3 years between albums is a career killer for someone like Leona. Katy Perry isn't just a pop star and is also a celebrity. She does other things such as hosting the MTV music awards (something I can't imagine Leona doing) to keep herself in the spotlight. She is also very open about her private life, something Leona isn't. Leona comes across as a very private person who is happy to sell music on the strength of her voice. This is fine if she is consistently releasing good music to remind people of her strengths but if she waits too long between albums and releases the wrong singles, then people lose interest and move on.

Look at Christina Aguilera. She was once an international superstar but took too long between albums, released subpar material and didn't do enough promotion. Her sales plummeted and she was ridiculed online. Leona has such a low presence that most people haven't even registered her dwindling sales.

To a lot of people outside of her hard core fan base, Leona is simply the girl who won X-Factor and had a hit with Bleeding Love. Album number 4 is make or break. If she doesn't come back with a smash hit first single then I don't see where she can go from here, apart from doing private gigs. To be honest, while Leona has a stellar voice, she has always seemed to lack the drive and ambition to be a huge star.

There is only so much you can blame on the label. If Leona is happy to make a modest living out of her music and not capatalise fully on her success, then there is only so much the label can do. Labels are businesses who exist to make money and not to allow people to live their dreams. As long as you are making money for the label, they will invest in you. Once you stop being profitable, you will be dropped. That is the cold harsh truth.
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said this so many times but Glassheart had all the hits it needed but was killed by a first single which is the weakest song on the album imo. If I were on her team the strategy would've been -

1st single - Lovebird (May/June release)
    2nd single - Glassheart (August release, Premiered on the Hackney Weekend set)

**Album release a week later (Leona could've took part in the Olympics closing ceremony if "Glassheart" was smashing like it should've and the album could've been released the next day, the ultimate promo!)**

3rd single - Sugar (October/November release)
    4th single - Unlove Me (January release)
    5th single - Come Alive (March/April release)

**Tour**

Now that would've ben a HUGE era! Sigh....
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbax wrote: »
    I've said this so many times but Glassheart had all the hits it needed but was killed by a first single which is the weakest song on the album imo. If I were on her team the strategy would've been -

1st single - Lovebird (May/June release)
    2nd single - Glassheart (August release, Premiered on the Hackney Weekend set)

**Album release a week later (Leona could've took part in the Olympics closing ceremony if "Glassheart" was smashing like it should've and the album could've been released the next day, the ultimate promo!)**

3rd single - Sugar (October/November release)
    4th single - Unlove Me (January release)
    5th single - Come Alive (March/April release)

**Tour**

Now that would've ben a HUGE era! Sigh....

It is a shame as she never lacked the material, Unlove Me and Shake You Up could have made good singles to imo.
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    It is a shame as she never lacked the material, Unlove Me and Shake You Up could have made good singles to imo.
    Yep, its very sad :(
    It was the same old story with the Echo era, again I think that should've went -

1st single - Can't Breathe (November release)

**Album release a week later**

2nd single - Outta My head (February release)
    3rd single - I Got You (April/May release)

**Labyrinth WORLD Tour**

4th single - Naked (Summer release)

**New single followed by an album release in the winter, similar to the Spirit era**

I also think Leona should've done a mini series for itv2 focused on the Labyrinth Tour, similar to Olly Mur's "Life on Murs" show. This would've been a good way for the public to get to know her better personally.

I'm looking for a job right now so Syco if you're reading this, PM me! :p
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, that's another song that gets covered a lot. That's why I suggested a lesser known song.

Cloudbusting?

Ok then, I would say Moments of Pleasure. It changes key to very high and uplifting, which would suit Leona.
    Forum Member
    Taking 3 years between albums is a career killer for someone like Leona. Katy Perry isn't just a pop star and is also a celebrity. She does other things such as hosting the MTV music awards (something I can't imagine Leona doing) to keep herself in the spotlight. She is also very open about her private life, something Leona isn't. Leona comes across as a very private person who is happy to sell music on the strength of her voice. This is fine if she is consistently releasing good music to remind people of her strengths but if she waits too long between albums and releases the wrong singles, then people lose interest and move on.

Look at Christina Aguilera. She was once an international superstar but took too long between albums, released subpar material and didn't do enough promotion. Her sales plummeted and she was ridiculed online. Leona has such a low presence that most people haven't even registered her dwindling sales.

To a lot of people outside of her hard core fan base, Leona is simply the girl who won X-Factor and had a hit with Bleeding Love. Album number 4 is make or break. If she doesn't come back with a smash hit first single then I don't see where she can go from here, apart from doing private gigs. To be honest, while Leona has a stellar voice, she has always seemed to lack the drive and ambition to be a huge star.

There is only so much you can blame on the label. If Leona is happy to make a modest living out of her music and not capatalise fully on her success, then there is only so much the label can do. Labels are businesses who exist to make money and not to allow people to live their dreams. As long as you are making money for the label, they will invest in you. Once you stop being profitable, you will be dropped. That is the cold harsh truth.

Very good post. Serious question - do you think Adele and Emili Sande(who are both private like Leona) could survive a 3 year gap between albums? I honestly don't know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good post. Serious question - do you think Adele and Emili Sande(who are both private like Leona) could survive a 3 year gap between albums? I honestly don't know.

We'll see how Adele album sell after 3 or more years gap because 21 was released 2 years ago and i can't see her releasing an album this year.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cloudbusting?

You really think she could do better than Kate Bush!!!

Never, she is a 2nd rate artist and to be compared to Kate is awful
    Forum Member
    jude007 wrote: »

Where did the poster say she could do a better job than Kate? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Ok then, I would say Moments of Pleasure. It changes key to very high and uplifting, which would suit Leona.

Good one. :)

Wow, you could get a job as a tabloid newspaper editor for putting words in my mouth.

Leona said she liked Kate Bush and she was an influence that's all.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good one. :)

Wow, you could get a job as a tabloid newspaper editor for putting words in my mouth.

Leona said she liked Kate Bush and she was an influence that's all.

I apologise then, but the originals are the best and 2nd rate singers should not re-do them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I apologise then, but the originals are the best and 2nd rate singers should not re-do them.

She isn't a second rate singer, quite the reverse. Please don't mistake your opinion with fact.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't follow Emili Sande so I can't say but I think Adele would survive. 21 was huge and that was without Adele having to be a high profile celebrity. It will be interesting to see how Adele does on her next album.
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Leona but the marketing has been terrible for her apart from the Spirit era. I think Glassheart is her best album so far and love the darker edge to it, but she could make the best album in history and it would still do poorly if she continues to be as mis-managed and under promoted as she is. She also needs to keep doing more live gigs so if she does want to expand her current tour then that's a step in the right direction.

I second those hoping her fourth album will be winter/Christmas themed. I think it would be ideal for her at this point in her career.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Leona but the marketing has been terrible for her apart from the Spirit era. I think Glassheart is her best album so far and love the darker edge to it, but she could make the best album in history and it would still do poorly if she continues to be as mis-managed and under promoted as she is. She also needs to keep doing more live gigs so if she does want to expand her current tour then that's a step in the right direction.

I second those hoping her fourth album will be winter/Christmas themed. I think it would be ideal for her at this point in her career.

Well hopefully whoever her new management are will make sure she is promoted and managed correctly.