C5 beats C4 in weekly ratings for first time in 17 year history

BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
Forum Member
Boosted by the return of Endemol's hit format Celebrity Big Brother, Channel 5 managed a greater share of the audience across all individuals, all hours and including +1 channels than C4 across an entire week of broadcasting for the first time in its 14 year history.

Week ending August 24 Results
Channel 5: 5.4% (5.0% core; 0.4% +1)
Channel 4: 5.3% (4.5% core; 0.8% +1)

C5 has managed ratings victories over C4 before on specific days or excluding less competitive hours like 2AM-6AM but never before has it pulled off a comprehensive weekly ratings win over its bigger rival.

Both channels were narrowly pipped by BBC Two (5.5%) for third place behind BBC One and ITV.

http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/weekly-viewing-summary?_s=4

Comments

• Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Nothing to boast about, both sub average channels. Where does the 14 year history thing come from, surely its 17.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Nobody at C5 is boasting about it, but it does feel significant. After all, it's not happened once in 17 years, so why should it now? Four has a lot more money, a lot more resources and a lot more history than Five, so in theory it's something that shouldn't happen. And yet it has. It's a big achievement by the smaller network that shouldn't be underestimated IMO.

C5's controller says it's not about beating C4 and he's right but he surely must get at least some satisfaction out of seeing the progress that has been made in the ratings, with the potential for more to come under their new big money American owners subject to regulatory approval. Not to mention how insufferable C4 boss Jay Hunt has been on the subject, blaming previous ratings evidence that saw C5 pip C4 on data manipulation and claiming that E4 is capable of beating C5 amongst E4's core audience which is hardly the point.

Here is the clearest evidence yet that there's hardly anything between the two channels now despite the fact that Four has considerable things in its favour. Four is underperforming and Five is punching above its weight. If this closeness can be maintained the viewers can only benefit. A more competitive commercial landscape will see all concerned working harder than ever before to deliver more of the quality must see programming we all want.
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    Nothing to boast about, both sub average channels. Where does the 14 year history thing come from, surely its 17.

The only person who's boasting is Dancc, official spokesperson for Channel 5.
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »
    The only person who's boasting is Dancc, official spokesperson for Channel 5.
    I'm merely pointing out facts. Throw stones if you must, but I'd prefer an adult discussion.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in fairness, this is only one week, as they say a broken clock is right twice a day, if C5 starts to win more weeks, then yes its something worth noting, but only 1 week isnt.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't the title of this thread be:

BBC2 beats both 4 and 5 ?
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Shouldn't the title of this thread be:

BBC2 beats both 4 and 5 ?
    By a whisker.

And that all depends on if you consider something that happens almost weekly to be as noteworthy as something that has happened once in the past 900+ weeks of ratings.

So I'm going to say no.
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    in fairness, this is only one week, as they say a broken clock is right twice a day, if C5 starts to win more weeks, then yes its something worth noting, but only 1 week isnt.
    It probably won't become a regular thing, for various reasons. But what we can legitimately say is a trend is the gap between the two channels has diminished rapidly over the past few years from a very significant difference to now almost nothing.

This graph clearly illustrates what I am talking about, via the ratings provider BARB:

http://www.barb.co.uk/trendspotting/data/channel-viewing-share?data_series%5B%5D=5&data_series%5B%5D=56&data_series%5B%5D=181&period_start=24-08-1997&period_end=24-08-2014&button_submit=View+graph
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CH4 (the channel) is full of awful faux documentary and trash-telly, CH5 (the channel) increasingly has the sorts of programmes that CH4 used to air.

They have sort of swapped over.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 tend to point out that the total ratings across their network aren't that bad whenever the appalling ratings of the main channel are mentioned. It's a very short-term view, but Ofcom seem to be accepting it.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't this happen last year or the year before?
    Forum Member
    td1983 wrote: »
    Didn't this happen last year or the year before?
    No, not in the official weekly ratings.
  • fasbinder_62fasbinder_62 Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I'm not surprised, channel 5 has a good eye for fun american shows, channel 4 has degenerated into boring pablum, I only watch it every month or so if there's a good film on
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    CH4 (the channel) is full of awful faux documentary and trash-telly, CH5 (the channel) increasingly has the sorts of programmes that CH4 used to air.

They have sort of swapped over.
    This must be the funniest thing I have read in a long time. Channel 5 makes channel 4 look high brow in comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not surprised, channel 5 has a good eye for fun american shows, channel 4 has degenerated into boring pablum, I only watch it every month or so if there's a good film on
    No they don't. Channel 5 treats what decent US shows they have with no respect what so ever. Just look at person of Interest for instance. Are they ever going to show series 3?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This must be the funniest thing I have read in a long time. Channel 5 makes channel 4 look high brow in comparison.

I don't know where you get that from, take a look at CH4 schedules. CH4 is wall-to-wall cheap "factual", usually of an exploitative nature.

Did you understand I was referring to the actual ch4 and ch5 of these two broadcasters?
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    It probably won't become a regular thing, for various reasons. But what we can legitimately say is a trend is the gap between the two channels has diminished rapidly over the past few years from a very significant difference to now almost nothing.

This graph clearly illustrates what I am talking about, via the ratings provider BARB:

http://www.barb.co.uk/trendspotting/data/channel-viewing-share?data_series%5B%5D=5&data_series%5B%5D=56&data_series%5B%5D=181&period_start=24-08-1997&period_end=24-08-2014&button_submit=View+graph

Hmmm, it's more the case that C5 has managed to just about maintain its audience while C4's has plummeted, but the theory still stands...

It's more interesting to me that BBC2 is barely ahead of both channels, with BBC2's decline almost exactly paralleling C4's - I'm inclined to think that both BBC2 and C4 have shed viewers over the years as they've both gone more lowbrow, though BBC2 has a bit of an excuse inasmuch as a lot of what would have been "their" content in the past has migrated to BBC4...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CH4 have it easy, what they are supposed to be about is what no other broadcaster is doing. So no competition.

What they are doing is junk, but they apply a thin veneer of PSB just before broadcast...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know where you get that from, take a look at CH4 schedules. CH4 is wall-to-wall cheap "factual", usually of an exploitative nature.

Did you understand I was referring to the actual ch4 and ch5 of these two broadcasters?
    I think you will find that is Channel 5. They only have 1 original drama which is Suspects which is ok, the US dramas are becoming rarer by the minute with the rest of the schedule filled up with crap like Big brother and on benefits and proud. I have yet to see Channel 5 bring us excellent original dramas like The Mill and Utopia. Channel 4 is far from perfect but at least in between the crap they still commission some real gems.Which is something Channel 5 very rarely does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CH4 have it easy, what they are supposed to be about is what no other broadcaster is doing. So no competition.

What they are doing is junk, but they apply a thin veneer of PSB just before broadcast...
    You do talk nonsense. Channel 4 has much more competition and that is the problem. They are supposed to be a PSB but they receive no public funds. How is that supposed to be easy?
  • James68James68 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Good new for Channel 5!

Channel 4 is a dungheap :o. The only thing you see on there that's worth it's place in the schedule is Channel 4 News!
    Just look at 4Seven - it shows Channel 4 up for what it is.....................

With it's new owner, I hope Channel 5 becomes even more American
  • Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah yes, Channel 5, the broadcaster that bought the rights to Breaking Bad and dropped it after 1 series (claiming it didn't get the ratings, which totally had nothing to do with them moving it all over the schedule)
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    PROTIP: These threads always become more honest if you replace the word "lowbrow" with "not aimed explicitly at me personally" or "things I hate because it's trendy to". Onwards:
    Ah yes, Channel 5, the broadcaster that bought the rights to Breaking Bad and dropped it after 1 series (claiming it didn't get the ratings, which totally had nothing to do with them moving it all over the schedule)

To be fair, Breaking Bad S1 didn't do that well in terms of ratings Stateside either, even in terms of its relatively niche channel. It was really Netflix and Hulu which made it viable for the network to keep going. Considering C5 wouldn't benefit from the money and probably wouldn't be privy to the stats demonstrating the show's success, they were hardly wrong to treat it the way they did.
  • Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »
    PROTIP: These threads always become more honest if you replace the word "lowbrow" with "not aimed explicitly at me personally" or "things I hate because it's trendy to". Onwards:

To be fair, Breaking Bad S1 didn't do that well in terms of ratings Stateside either, even in terms of its relatively niche channel. It was really Netflix and Hulu which made it viable for the network to keep going. Considering C5 wouldn't benefit from the money and probably wouldn't be privy to the stats demonstrating the show's success, they were hardly wrong to treat it the way they did.

It obviously did well enough in the US to be continually renewed, because it wasn't until Season 5 that Netflix made it huge and it got massive ratings. Critical response was enough to keep it on the air in the US, but Five never gave it the treatment it deserved.

They quickly moved it to FiveUSA after a few weeks, which few people at the time had, so how could it be expected to get good figures on an obscure channel?
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're also massively underselling "The Walking Dead", which is absolutely massive in the US, getting triple the viewers of "Game Of Thrones", yet it's GoT which gets all of the super-hype from Sky, and TWD which gets shunted off onto the graveyard slot on 5USA... maybe 5 just needs to ramp up its PR efforts...? (I love both shows BTW, just sayin')