Options

The Royle Family Christmas Special - Xmas Day - 21:45

Comments

• Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Thanks. I missed that bit as I was on my lappy and only half watching the show as I lost the will to live after 10 mins :(

They did raise a toast to 'absent friends' in the show, I thought of him then, although it was proably for passed characters i.e. Nanna and Joe's wife.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seemed rushed to me. Almost had the feel of a Comic Relief style skit they'd thrown together

The dating scenes were old school awful comedy. Tomlinson phoned it in and Sue just looked like she'd rather be anywhere else
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding Dave and Denise's parenting skills (or lack off), in the series Dave was always a good father, whilst Denise was bone idle but never neglectful.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Regarding Dave and Denise's parenting skills (or lack off), in the series Dave was always a good father, whilst Denise was bone idle but never neglectful.

This. I can't imagine Dave just palming his kids off every Christmas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm astonished at the negative reaction to this Christmas special. I enjoyed it and am a long-time fan of the show. There were lots of laugh-out-loud moments. I don't care about realistic characters, sticking to the show 'bible' etc, just that it's funny. And it was.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first series was must-see television - I remember watching the first episode and being completely drawn in to this family who just sat and did nothing, so very like (uncomfortably so!) my own relatives.

However, since half way through series 2, it has been very much a case of the Emperor's New Clothes - and I'd include the much lauded Queen of Sheba in that.

This Christmas 'special' was anything but - right from the start with the 'Christmas tree left up all year' and Anthony's dummy being left behind the sofa (with a drill!) for about 25 years! I stuck it out till the end but it was tripe. And when did they turn into a family of tramps? They may have been a bit rough but they they had self respect and were never filthy.

This was the first new episode I'd watched for a couple of years and I hoped it would be better than I'd thought. It was worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what happened to the actress who played Joe's Wife (Doreen Keogh), as I noticed that according to imdb she hasn't appeared in anything since 2007, but I can't see anything about her passing away?
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you SERIOUS ??

Totally, the "chav" culture frowns upon education and we now find ourselves in a position where some kids think that milk is manufactured in a factory like pop!
    miaviv wrote: »
    is it repeated as I missed it and can't watch Iplayer abroad ? Thanks

You can with ex pat shield (free.)
    Does anyone know what happened to the actress who played Joe's Wife (Doreen Keogh), as I noticed that according to imdb she hasn't appeared in anything since 2007, but I can't see anything about her passing away?

I thought that also and wondered if, unfortunately, she had died in real life too.
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen of Sheba episode is currently on Gold. It's almost finished (although due to start on Gold+1), but the difference in quality is remarkable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Ricky Tomlinson overacted in Queen of Sheba for the first half
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally, the "chav" culture frowns upon education and we now find ourselves in a position where some kids think that milk is manufactured in a factory like pop!

And yet you mentioned "lower classes" in your previous statement.

Working class = Thick chavs to you does it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Queen of Sheba just destroyed me again. Top notch writing, apart from the scenes with the kids.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was good the only reason I watched it was because everyone said it was pants
  • Options
    cuzacuza Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It WAS pants. In my opinion, I hasten to add. And I'm in the majority.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cuza wrote: »
    It WAS pants. In my opinion, I hasten to add. And I'm in the majority.

The vast majority
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Jeez, why all the negativity?

All the family of various ages sat and watched it, and we all enjoyed it, with some genuine laugh out loud moments - great performances from Sue Johnston and Ricky Tomlinson.

All those who lament the first series, unfortunately nothing stays the same, things move on, writers attitudes change, Would you like the most recent album from your favourite band to sound just like the last or their first?

Probably the pick of the Xmas night schedule, with a touching end, apt for Christmas Day.

All the negativity is because those of us who are being negative didn't enjoy it much. If you did, then that's great for you.

I don't deny there were some funny moments, but precious few, and they weren't really worth putting up with the rest of it.

Would I like the most recent album from my favourite band to sound like their first? Maybe not, but I wouldn't like it to be crap either.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Cripes! it was a joke, remember this is a comedy, my parents always joked in the same way, do you just sit there with a pen and note pad just waiting to be 'offended'?

The things we are allowed to laugh at these days are perilously few, and its people such as yourself have created the situation, then having the audacity to complaint that programs like this are no longer funny, when in reality you've made it that way!

That's interesting logic. You're saying that by complaining about painfully unfunny "humour", we're creating a situation where people will make more painfully unfunny "humour"? :confused:
  • Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's still alive, but she retired a few years ago
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loon wrote: »
    She's still alive, but she retired a few years ago

Thanks, good to know she hasn't passed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I can't believe how poor this year's special was. Perhaps they had to do major rewrites quickly due to many of the cast being unable to appear. A couple of funny moments but the rest was awful. The other specials were FAR too over the top but at least they were funny:

The 2008 special was quite decent until they left the Royle's house.
    The 2009 special was also decent until they left for the caravan holiday.
    The 2010 special was an improvement because they stayed in the home and it felt a bit more realistic.

But 2012... wow.
  • Options
    citiuscitius Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    The Royle family lost it's magic for me back in 2008. They just seemed to change the characters personalities overnight. It almost feels as if they are catering for a chav audience. All of the jokes are to the extreme and completely unbelievable. I feel dirty just watching the show now. What a shame, it used to be such a great little programme.
  • Options
    tiltonlandtiltonland Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Not the vintage Royle Family but still better than some of the dross served up this Christmas.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they'll be able to do any christas specials that top The Golden Eggcup
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shadow of its former glory watch series 1, completely different show.