Options

Bar her 'battle' with Perez - Why do people like Katie H?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Katie is clever and she knows most of people in there are weirdos, her way of handling them is genius.
  • Options
    junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't see why the press give page space to her. Rewarded for being horrible it seems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    I truly wanted to give her a chance, I tried.

i have not seen her articulate anything with any flair, she throws her hands around and resorts to physical appearance mocking when she's cornered.

She's is marmite, and when you see through someone it's just one of those things. Many can't see through her, because they believe the speech.

Her one redeeming feature is that she is human at the end of it all. I don't hate her, I just think she needs to stop being a pseudo intellect, and understand that a posh accent and hand gestures, with her accentuating certain words, does not make her above anyone.
  • Options
    Rufus KnightsRufus Knights Posts: 3,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is actually very witty. She doesn't take life too serious. She can give it but she can also take it.

Ask yourself this -- why do you think she gets on with everyone in that house apart from just two people?

Most people in that house are very fond of her.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like her but my 14yr old son finds her hilarious.
  • Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucypher wrote: »
    This isn't a 'hate Katie H thread' - really?

The reason some Katie fans don't rush to her support on forums is fear. Because for some reason, as soon as anybody writes in favour of Katie, a gang of forum users rush to try and invalidate the post by being ultra nasty, insulting and often, personally attack that fan. I've seen it time and time again.

I've seen this too. You also see a hell of a lot of conjecture and speculation posted as fact by her detractors, and others blindly backing it up, or trying to shame or mock anyone who may have posted a positive or added a bit of balance re her.

It seems as long as a comment is anti Hopkins, for some that's enough regardless whether there is any actual basis in truth.
  • Options
    xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never quite realised before just how phenomenally unintelligent she is but of course because she can't see it it can't possibly be so. Empty vessels and all that..........................................................
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diabolus wrote: »
    I've seen this too. You also see a hell of a lot of conjecture and speculation posted as fact by her detractors, and others blindly backing it up, or trying to shame or mock anyone who may have posted a positive or added a bit of balance re her.

It seems as long as a comment is anti Hopkins, for some that's enough regardless whether there is any actual basis in truth.

'If you think Katie is better than Perez then the PROVES you're a Nazi stormtrooper with a shrine to Thatcher in your bedroom and you bite the heads off of bats and feed the leftovers to the unemployed' - that the sort of thing you mean?
  • Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    'If you think Katie is better than Perez then the PROVES you're a Nazi stormtrooper with a shrine to Thatcher in your bedroom and you bite the heads off of bats and feed the leftovers to the unemployed' - that the sort of thing you mean?

Ha ha ha. Yeah stuff like that!

Right, gotta dash, I'm just off to dust off my swastika, polish my Maggie portrait, chomp on a bat and throw its bloody remains at a tramp.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    She is actually very witty. She doesn't take life too serious. She can give it but she can also take it.

Ask yourself this -- why do you think she gets on with everyone in that house apart from just two people?

Most people in that house are very fond of her.

Stockholm syndrome? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her because she she does say things that a lot of people are thinking but choose not to say. A lot of the things she has said in the past before entering the BB house I agreed with, but I also disagreed with the some of the things she's said.

She is witty too, but what I love about her since she's gone into the BB house is she has shown she has a very different side to her, a softer side.

I do think she can be OTT with Perez and she should be careful. With Alicia I think she had a great relationship. Ok they were chalk and cheese, but opposites attract and they bounced off each other.
  • Options
    fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xynaria wrote: »
    I never quite realised before just how phenomenally unintelligent she is but of course because she can't see it it can't possibly be so. Empty vessels and all that..........................................................

Indeed, all bull and bluster, an embarrassing hypocrite who is careful/spineless enough to suck up to all those she purports to dislike in her 'black and white' world (that is also apparently full of colour ;-)) because they would rip her a new one if she challenged them......a pretty sad individual who dishes it out and can not take it...........the repeated ever so humble guff and faux embarrassment together with the love of her own voice that actually has zero content is more than boring now as is her sour and petty face if anyone dare to have a laugh.

So what is it? is the sucking up to all those that she slagged off on the first night just a display of her ignorance, judging first, or just a coward who shoots her mouth off but does not have the balls to say those things face to face unless she considers them weak?..either way she is a pathetic individual....and she will probably win.
  • Options
    Nearly NewNearly New Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's actually rather witless. Nothing remotely intelligent or amusing about her patter..

You only have to see her TV appearances on You Tube. She'll give her pre-scripted controversial opinion on some subject and then flounders when challenged on it as she's not quick witted enough to come up with any further supporting evidence.

Her inability to handle Perez proves she's nothing without hiding behind a snappy soundbite/
  • Options
    fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly New wrote: »
    She's actually rather witless. Nothing remotely intelligent or amusing about her patter..

You only have to see her TV appearances on You Tube. She'll give her pre-scripted controversial opinion on some subject and then flounders when challenged on it as she's not quick witted enough to come up with any further supporting evidence.

Her inability to handle Perez proves she's nothing without hiding behind a snappy soundbite/

Agree...............what a tremendous let down of this urban myth that she is sharp witted, even when she had time to think and pen some acerbic and 'witty' retorts ...the best she could come up with was along the lines of Alicia having two brain cells...deary me, really that's the best she can do?..but horses for courses I suppose, she clearly has folk that think she is the funniest thing ever :confused:
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    After all the insults, all the snobbery, all the bitching, all the hypocrisy she writes in her columns. Before, and during being in the house. What is there to like?

This isn't a 'hate katie H' thread. Im just wondering what other people see in her?

I think she's very egotistic, and she hates and puts people down due to her own insecurities. She thrives on making others miserable because she's so miserable within herself!

That, ironically is the actions of someone very weak and bitter. Not a strong, well respected person she somehow believes she is.

That's my opinion on her.
    Agreed. She's a repulsive woman, which some people seem all too happy to forget.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found her rather juvenile tbh. Her so called clever put downs are all rather playground. Calling people fat, ugly, thick etc is hardly the stuff of a top businesswoman (ha!).

She's someone who has failed in her real career and has now decided to become a professional troll in the same vein as the likes of Jones and Brick before her.

It does annoy me though that fans or supporters of her (or anyone else for that matter) are stereotyped on here and I can't condone or agree with that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diabolus wrote: »
    It seems as long as a comment is by Hopkins, for some that's enough regardless whether there is any actual basis in truth.

Couldn't resist sorry :D :eek: ;)
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    I think she's very egotistic, and she hates and puts people down due to her own insecurities. She thrives on making others miserable because she's so miserable within herself!

That, ironically is the actions of someone very weak and bitter. Not a strong, well respected person she somehow believes she is.

I agree with this and actually, it helps me to feel warmer to her.

In my experience, people who constantly look down on or are intolerant of others have some unhappiness going on. Simply that. It's almost always 'their stuff'.

I see it in myself every day. If I'm in a good mood, I feel more loving and tolerant. In fact it's almost impossible for me to look unkindly on someone. But if I'm grumpy, it's a different story.

What's that saying: "if I encounter one arsehole in a day, they're an arsehole. If I encounter 10 arseholes in a day, I'M the arsehole". :D
    kimindex wrote: »
    I think it's the old redemption storyline that some people go for. Then they find reasons to justify it, such as insulting Nadia.

Maybe. Except she's not really being redeemed insofar as she's still living up to her image. But I think it's true that most of us WANT to like people because it's part of the human condition to try to feel good, and liking feels better than not liking.

So I think her flashes of humanity and warmth are challenging preconceived notions and people are therefore assuming the other stuff must be an act. Or they're going " well, she's not ALL bad ergo she's actually good".
    kimindex wrote: »
    Yes, I wonder if Davidson and KH's fans overlap. Both KH and Davidson spout lazy bigotry and couldn't care less (at best) about the issues. Just knee-jerk comfort food for reactionaries.

Yes, exactly. They're easy to come up with (just copy a UKIP supporter on Twitter), if you have almost no scruples.

I've been on here long enough now to predict who certain FMs will like or dislike based on the values they display. So yes, I suspect there's a correlation with some (but not all) FMs.
    dialectic wrote: »
    A lot of Hopkins supporters are now saying her put downs are an act and she just says things to be controversial; the use of the word 'vacuous' for what she says is quite apt then.

Yeah. Except that the 'act' defense contradicts Katie's own words on debate night and in interviews where she stands by her beliefs and endorses her own brand of integrity and truth telling.

Which basically means she's either a bonafide intolerant bigot or she's a professional liar.
  • Options
    jojo the joyfuljojo the joyful Posts: 17,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Jim Davidson & can't stand Helen woods.

I can't stand perez but like Alicia & Katie H.

Although I don't agree with everything Katie says ( and some of it is BS, other things she makes a very good point at.

Yes it can come across acidic and nasty, which is unfortunate, but I don't think that is the main intention of hers.

Katie likes to think she is a strong woman (whether she is or not is a matter of opinion) and she can't stand weekness ( or is afraid of it) in herself and others.

I beleive for the most part, her attacks on "fat people", parents who call their kids "wierd" names etc she sees as weeknesses in them and is pointing these things out to make them strong people too. In Katies view I assume if every one was strong ( and not frilly or indulgent) she would have no reason to be up set by anyone.

Besides, opinions aside, she is fun, kind and quirky
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I

Katie likes to think she is a strong woman (whether she is or not is a matter of opinion) and she can't stand weekness ( or is afraid of it) in herself and others.

She is fearful of thinking anything through to any degree because all her sophistry would appear as what it is and she would have no value...strange that isn't it...........................kerchingggggg
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    Lucypher wrote: »
    This isn't a 'hate Katie H thread' - really?

The reason some Katie fans don't rush to her support on forums is fear. Because for some reason, as soon as anybody writes in favour of Katie, a gang of forum users rush to try and invalidate the post by being ultra nasty, insulting and often, personally attack that fan.

Anyone who supports a controversial HM will have experienced the more aggressive or histrionic response at times, I agree. I've often supported the least popular HM and it's no fun.

But Katie H isn't by any stretch the least popular HM this series. So you actually have some safety in numbers.

Somebody got it right, here. Everything Katie is accused of applies to her detractors, only often they're ten times worse.

Does a minority go overboard? Yes. But that's the same every season with every 'big' character. Hysteria and hatefulness. There's an ALERT button for the ones who are "10 times worse". Or a quote button to take someone on individually rather than making sweeping criticisms that suggest "Katie detractors" are a homogenous group.

But let's go down that road for a bit anyway. The 'double standard' argument...

Where I see a difference is that the people criticising her are targeting someone who's invited scrutiny. Indeed her career depends on attracting criticism. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

By contrast, Katie's targets haven't invited her mockery and are often 'innocents' (eg the nurse who was dying of Ebola and called 'a sweaty Glaswegian' or the people who died in the Glasgow helicopter crash). Big difference.

Secondly, the bulk of criticism, even if some of it is expressed with cruder language ("bitch", "ugly" etc) doesn't come close IMO to suggesting, for example, that a bombing campaign be instigated against "rodent" Palestinians. The only comparison would be anyone wishing HER dead, and I haven't seen that on DS yet.

Finally, Katie's detractors (OTT or not) are reacting to observable behaviour from Katie herself, whereas she will make sweeping criticisms of a swathe of people that she doesn't know anything about. Again, that's different.

I'm not saying two wrongs make a right. I'm just saying it's facile to suggest anything but a minority of Katie's detractors are the same or worse than her.
  • Options
    smoggieboonsmoggieboon Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the medical profession wouldn't be backing up her opinions on the Scottish volunteer nurse who caught Ebola. I'm not sure if I'd call those comments 'vacuous' but ignorant isn't a strong enough word. Regardless of whether she believes what she says, or does it for the money and publicity (more likely) I think I'd rather be described as vacuous, if this kind of thing was the alternative.

It was humour, I laughed...
  • Options
    jojo the joyfuljojo the joyful Posts: 17,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xynaria wrote: »
    She is fearful of thinking anything through to any degree because all her sophistry would appear as what it is and she would have no value...strange that isn't it...........................kerchingggggg

Not at all. Katies opinions will continue to hold value as long as she beleives in them.

What if I asked you what colour the grass was & you say green. Every body else says no the grass is blue the same colour as the sky, would you beleive the grass was green any less ? YOu would hold onto your convictions just like Katie does. ( Although admittedly sometimes she is the one to declare the grass blue :D )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all. Katies opinions will continue to hold value as long as she beleives in them.

Which is why she's so scared of actually 'analysing' them :p
  • Options
    dialecticdialectic Posts: 6,949
    Forum Member

Yeah. Except that the 'act' defense contradicts Katie's own words on debate night and in interviews where she stands by her beliefs and endorses her own brand of integrity and truth telling.

Which basically means she's either a bonafide intolerant bigot or she's a professional liar.

Though the two aren't mutually exclusive. I definitely believe she is the former; as for the latter, her throwing around a few insubstantive, hyperbolic claims would definitely make the former seem more innocuous