Options

Apple sold 74.5M iPhones in Q4 2015

Comments

• Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I thought Android was trouncing iOS in market share.

So if there have to be sheep why isnt all the people getting an Android phone?

Well they pretty much are. Reading earlier, android has now has passed the 1bn mark on devices worldwide. Granted these are only shipped devices, but the number is still staggering. Android has an 81% market share, apple a 15%. MS etc have the rest.

Granted, apple do indeed make the most money per single manufacturer, but as an eco system, the vast majority of people are choosing android and using android. If iOS was on various devices, I'll bet that number would equal out.

I quite like iOS 8, but I'm not keen again on this new range of iPhones. This is where I wish there was more choices with iOS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    But its pretty much why Google wanted Android, and wanted it to be the biggest mobile OS, to ensure their advertising reached everyone on mobile !

What advertising? I've never had an advert on my Android phones in the years I've been using them. Google simply make their money from services you use. Like the playstore for instance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Are you saying android devices are difficult to use. Yes, that would explain why iPhones are so popular.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion from that post....

Anyway, your logic is flawed since more poeple have android phones than iphones. And its nothing to do with price since the majority of phones are taken out on contract.

To be honest though, this whole argument is bloody stupid. CP states as always its the other side causing the problems, but to be honest, both sides are just as bad in every thread. Misinformation and nonsense from both. You buy what you like if you enjoy using it.

I have an android phone just now since I don't like the look of the new iPhone and windows isn't even worth bothering to look at! I wasn't keen in the 5 or 5S either. The only iPhone I liked was the 4S. Even though for me the screen let it down, it was otherwise not bad at all. Looked great as well.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Not sure how you came to that conclusion from that post....

Anyway, your logic is flawed since more poeple have android phones than iphones. And its nothing to do with price since the majority of phones are taken out on contract.

To be honest though, this whole argument is bloody stupid. CP states as always its the other side causing the problems, but to be honest, both sides are just as bad in every thread. Misinformation and nonsense from both. You buy what you like if you enjoy using it.

I have an android phone just now since I don't like the look of the new iPhone and windows isn't even worth bothering to look at! I wasn't keen in the 5 or 5S either. The only iPhone I liked was the 4S. Even though for me the screen let it down, it was otherwise not bad at all. Looked great as well.

I was losingr hope for you until I read your second paragraph. Yes, this part of the thread instigated by Faust is very stupid. Oh, and my conclusion (from Faust statement) that iPhones are easier to use was based on his claim that iPhone users found android harder to use (wasn't a tricky conclusion).

I do however detect in your recent posts attempts to prevent that you have not been part of these nonsense posts. I can only assume you are turning over a new leaf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What advertising? I've never had an advert on my Android phones in the years I've been using them. Google simply make their money from services you use. Like the playstore for instance.

Google make their money from adverts and selling your data.

You see an advert every single time you use google search. You see adverts on YouTube, etc.

If they relied on play store income, they would be bust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Not really - I was talking to a few of my youngest daughters friends a few months back asking why they all had an iPhone.

Nearly everyone said the same (after thinking for quite some time). They are cool, their friends had one, lots of 'celebrities' (cough) had them.

I often think buying an iPhone is like people who support Manchester United but have never been to Old Trafford, never seen them play (only on TV) and can only name stars like Beckham but can't tell you anything about the team.

Put simply we live in a facile society of cult and so called celebrities and the iPhone is a perfect fit. :blush:

They said all that even though the vast majority of people do not have iPhones:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was losingr hope for you until I read your second paragraph. Yes, this part of the thread instigated by Faust is very stupid. Oh, and my conclusion (from Faust statement) that iPhones are easier to use was based on his claim that iPhone users found android harder to use (wasn't a tricky conclusion).

I missed that, but see it now. If it's the one in response to tdenson.

tdenson was kind enough to show me some of the work he has done in his career a while back and it's very impressive indeed. However, i do disagree with him on the apple are easier to use thing. I've owned early macs (my first proper computer was a mac), newer macs, ipads, ipods and iphones, i have never found any apple product to be any easier to use than rival products. They all work in a very similar way that makes it very easy to jump from one to the other with pretty much no hassle. It might just be me, but if a device doesn't do something out the box, having to download an app to do it is fine by me. Normally its better as it adds more functionality.

If it wasn't, i apologise for the above ramble :D
    I do however detect in your recent posts attempts to prevent that you have not been part of these nonsense posts. I can only assume you are turning over a new leaf.

Not a new leaf as such. Just this time i refuse to get involved in heated debates based on something as stupid as a mobile operating system or a piece of technology!

The same thoughts on the issue apply which were always pretty much neutral in that i saw issues with both apple and google. Sadly some on here seem to think my bias leans towards Android which it never has. At the moment i use Android simply because it's on the phone i made a choice to buy.

I don't do brand loyalty. Never have!
  • Options
    Forum Member

You see an advert every single time you use google search. You see adverts on YouTube, etc.

Yeah true, but in fairness, you see them on apple devices, windows and pretty much any device that can connect to google!

But then i don't. I use an adblocker :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed that, but see it now. If it's the one in response to tdenson.

tdenson was kind enough to show me some of the work he has done in his career a while back and it's very impressive indeed. However, i do disagree with him on the apple are easier to use thing. I've owned early macs (my first proper computer was a mac), newer macs, ipads, ipods and iphones, i have never found any apple product to be any easier to use than rival products. They all work in a very similar way that makes it very easy to jump from one to the other with pretty much no hassle. It might just be me, but if a device doesn't do something out the box, having to download an app to do it is fine by me. Normally its better as it adds more functionality.

If it wasn't, i apologise for the above ramble :D

Not a new leaf as such. Just this time i refuse to get involved in heated debates based on something as stupid as a mobile operating system or a piece of technology!

The same thoughts on the issue apply which were always pretty much neutral in that i saw issues with both apple and google. Sadly some on here seem to think my bias leans towards Android which it never has. At the moment i use Android simply because it's on the phone i made a choice to buy.

I admire your self control:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah true, but in fairness, you see them on apple devices, windows and pretty much any device that can connect to google!

But then i don't. I use an adblocker :D

Agreed, it is in googles interest to be everywhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Google make some money from adverts and they dont care whether this is on Android or iOS. The dont sell your data, (like most other reputable internet based organisations) they try and profile you. The same way when you shop at Amazon (or another well know retail organisation) they target goods based on your purchases/browse history.

Not sure losing play store income would make them go bust either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    Google make some money from adverts and they dont care whether this is on Android or iOS. The dont sell your data, (like most other reputable internet based organisations) they try and profile you. The same way when you shop at Amazon (or another well know retail organisation) they target goods based on your purchases/browse history.

Not sure losing play store income would make them go bust either.

That isn't what I said. I said if they only relied on play store income, they would go bust.

Google make almost all their money from Ads. Just read their financial reports, they are not coy about it.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    but as an eco system, the vast majority of people are choosing android and using android. If iOS was on various devices, I'll bet that number would equal out.

The old chestnut. They are not *choosing* Android, it is coming on the phone they choose.
  • Options
    Forum Member

There's a thin line between brand loyalty and simply buying another one because you have already been up the learning curve for that type of device and don't want the hassle of starting again. I would also maintain I don't do brand loyalty, and that is certainly true of any non-tech products. When it comes to Apple, my behaviour might look like brand loyalty but what's behind it is a much more complicated decision making process.
    A good example would be the fact that I have just deployed 30 copies of Windows 7 into my project in Africa. I have no "brand loyalty" to Windows 7, I just don't want the hassle of going Windows 8 which I know really is just as good if not better than Windows 7 but different.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    The old chestnut. They are not *choosing* Android, it is coming on the phone they choose.
    And markets are different! In the US fully 50% of customers choose an iPhone - the next higher manufacturer (Samsung) was down around 27% in the last quarter.

The astonishing thing is China - everyone said that it was swamped by low cost (often dual-SIM) locally made Android phones. However iPhones seem to be selling like hot-potatoes even there!
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to hand it to Paul O'Grady since he took over at Apple he has turned them round no end.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are lots of avenues for income growth for Apple.
    They have even managed to turn bluetooth into a iSpam machine so advertising growth is infinite, even with only about 10% of that world market.

However by maintaining the high price of the smartphones they can ensure networks will stay in love with them for higher priced customer retention deals.

Smartphone costs are already hitting 'pocket calculator' prices. Quite easy when you consider 90% of the funtionality, GPS, BT, Wifi, LTE etc etc is going quad core ARM chips less than 1cm square and well below $10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    There are lots of avenues for income growth for Apple.
    They have even managed to turn bluetooth into a iSpam machine so advertising growth is infinite, even with only about 10% of that world market.

You really do have a bitter and twisted and warped view of everything that Apple do. You obviously are referring to their iBeacon technology. I don't hear you complain about Samsung's efforts in this area. I quote from a recent press article -

"The key difference, however, between Apple’s iBeacon and Samsung’s Proximity is that Proximity works at system level while iBeacon requires app store software. This means that, using Samsung’s Proximity, marketers can deliver messaging to you even if you do not have a store’s specific app installed."

At least with the Apple version you have to proactively request to be marketed at.

PS. As it happens I'm not particularly paranoid about being marketed at like some others are, so I actually wouldn't mind the Samsung approach - but lets get things in perspective shall we
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, that old chestnut. Like people choose Iphone's for iOS like you do. Like some people choose windows computers for windows or macs for iOS.

Please stop thinking this only works one way please.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really - I was talking to a few of my youngest daughters friends a few months back asking why they all had an iPhone.

Nearly everyone said the same (after thinking for quite some time). They are cool, their friends had one, lots of 'celebrities' (cough) had them.

I often think buying an iPhone is like people who support Manchester United but have never been to Old Trafford, never seen them play (only on TV) and can only name stars like Beckham but can't tell you anything about the team.

Put simply we live in a facile society of cult and so called celebrities and the iPhone is a perfect fit. :blush:

Could it be, just possible, that the people who tend to follow their mates are teenagers like your daughters, rather than people who buy iPhones?

You can rest assured that I don't have an iPhone because they are cool, because my friends have them, or because celebrities have them.

But then I'm not a teenage girl.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ................PS. As it happens I'm not particularly paranoid about being marketed at like some others are....
    Well, that OTT use of 'bitter and twisted' says you seem a bit uneasy about user awareness on the matter.

That bluetooth monopoly on advertising is a good strategy. No one else has done and likely, as no one else can on IOS, it creates another lucrative income stream.

Apple really do get to 'have their cake and eat it' so good luck to them there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great products and a great business model. Everyone's a winner.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    And markets are different! In the US fully 50% of customers choose an iPhone - the next higher manufacturer (Samsung) was down around 27% in the last quarter.

The astonishing thing is China - everyone said that it was swamped by low cost (often dual-SIM) locally made Android phones. However iPhones seem to be selling like hot-potatoes even there!

One is the home of Apple - obsessed by cult and celebrities and the second has an aspiring middle class who is also obsessed with cult and celebrity.

At the end of the day for the majority (especially the younger buyer) owning an iPhone is all about peer pressure and status. Anyone who claims otherwise isn't really being honest.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Great products and a great business model. Everyone's a winner.

Not sure how the buyer can claim to be a winner when they have just had their wallet mugged. :o

Mind you they say there's one born every minute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure how the buyer can claim to be a winner when they have just had their wallet mugged. :o

Mind you they say there's one born every minute.

So now apple are mugging anyone who buys their products. Do you realise how stupid you are sounding?