Options

Future of Music Channels?

zeebre12zeebre12 Posts: 1,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How long more in the UK do you think music channels will last..there are still nearly 30 on TV. In the times of YouTube/Vevo etc with instant access to the videos you want to watch, Why are there still so much in the UK, the US now has only 3 proper music video channels because there is no demand for them. Some TV now have apps built in to watch music videos when you want.
Also with the likes if VIVA and 4music switching programming to more general entertainment with little music videos..in a few years will other music channels follow suite and incorporate more general programming or will they close altogether?

Comments

• Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine a few will close.

MTV Music, Hits and Live are pretty much the same thing.Live does have more performances, but if they merged all 3, they'd not be a loss.

Box and Smash Hits can merge as could Planet Pop and Now.

Music TV is easier than the online options. Sometimes I prefer to sit back in my chair/on the sofa and flick the TV than mess around with playlists online. If I just want the music, a good old CD will suffice.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeebre12 wrote: »
    How long more in the UK do you think music channels will last..there are still nearly 30 on TV. In the times of YouTube/Vevo etc with instant access to the videos you want to watch, Why are there still so much in the UK, the US now has only 3 proper music video channels because there is no demand for them. Some TV now have apps built in to watch music videos when you want.
    Also with the likes if VIVA and 4music switching programming to more general entertainment with little music videos..in a few years will other music channels follow suite and incorporate more general programming or will they close altogether?

The MTV music video channels used to show real programmes, like Pimp My Ride on MTV Base, Jackass on MTV Rocks and celebrity/reality shows on VH1. They stopped doing that around 2009. Programmes bring in more viewers but repeating themed music video charts is cheaper and requires less effort.

Music TV in general only attracts a small audience now, but the channels have been cut back to the bare minimum so they're still just about viable. I imagine some of the smaller ones will close over the next year or two. There are too many channels serving a shrinking audience.
  • Options
    adamc01adamc01 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    They may be round for a bit yet, you are also able to watch a lot of them on the internet and the box network have launched a app where you are able to watch all seven box music channels (the box, 4music , smashhits, kiss, kerrang, magic, heat) on your phone and tablet and also on the internet by the website, and music channels where you text in the song you want to get played do well.