The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    at RobbieSykes123: but surely itv+1 should be included in the total viewing figure- right? and also would you or anyone have last night's breakdown for mr selfridge and call the midwife.
  • bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    personally I don't think it would such a bad thing for ITV to bid for some (if not all) of the 6 Nations matches

If they could have one match per round, they could slot it easily into Saturday or Sunday schedule (or heaven forbid Friday night)

It would also boost their non football sport portfolio, which can't such a bad thing. I'm sure there are companies that wish they could advertise during a 6N match

Also it could give tournament organisers bigger revenue, but still keep in FTA
    Noooo that would be the worst thing for us rugby fans. It's bad enough that we have to endure ITV's totally naff coverage every 4 years for the Rugby World Cup, but putting the Six Nations on the same channel as all those chavvy "reality" shows would be beyond the pale.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also - does this prove that you do still read, even if you seldom post on here?

Otherwise, how would you know?

:D

Honestly you can skip endless pages and not miss anything. The sad fact is though thet good posts get lost in a sea of dross. This is especially the case if you want to use the archive to check old overnights. You sometimes have to check 10 pages to get a figure whilst you try.

I know DS dont want to moderate forums as that can change their exposure regarding libellous postings so I suppose this is the way it will remain in a free for all. I really dont see why there cant be a +1 pointless arguements thread, a 1970's revival thread, a snow depth thread, a Christmas schedule thread (their is one I believe, but for those who cant leave this thread everything has to be posted x2), etc

Anyways back to skim reading & very ocassional postings for me!
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    bargepole wrote: »
    Noooo that would be the worst thing for us rugby fans. It's bad enough that we have to endure ITV's totally naff coverage every 4 years for the Rugby World Cup, but putting the Six Nations on the same channel as all those chavvy "reality" shows would be beyond the pale.

I think ITV's rugby coverage is pretty good, they make an effort to get decent pundits in for RWC. The highlight show is very good too, I don't mind Doyle and Bayfield

As much as I like BBC's coverage, they need to freshen up their pundits. It's been same 6/7 pundits for best part of a decade
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    bargepole wrote: »

Don't worry the BBC's new contract starts next year and runs until 2017
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no it doesn't, sorry we don't have those figures
    normally I'd be dropping hints about the consolidated now, but for some reason the data's not arrived

I'm in the dark as to why :confused:

Thanks Mike.
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a look at how the four main broadcasters did in the BARB Monthly Shares for January 2013:

BBC
    BBC1: 21.6% (January 2012: 20.1%), BBC2: 6.2% (7.1%), BBC3: 1.4% (1.5%), BBC4: 0.9% (0.9%), BBC HD: 0.3% (0.3 %), BBC News: 1.1% (1.0%), BBC RB: 0.1% (0.1%), CBBC: 0.7 % (0.8%), CBeebies: 1.3% (1.2%)
    --> Total: 33.6 % (January 2012: 33.0 %)

ITV
    ITV1: 16.2% (16.8%), ITV2: 2.6% (2.4%), ITV3: 2.8% (2.5%), ITV4: 0.9% (1.2%), CITV: 0.4 % (0.3%)
    --> Total: 22.9% (January 2012: 23.2%)

Channel 4
    C4: 6.2 % (6.6%), E4: 1.9% (1.7%), Film4: 1.5 % (1.6%), More4: 1.3 % (1.1%), 4Music: 0.2 % (0.3%), 4Seven: 0.3% (n/a)
    --> Total: 11.4% (January 2012: 11.3%)

Channel 5
    C5: 4.6% (4.7%), 5*: 0.6% (0.5 %), 5USA: 1.0% (1.0%)
    --> Total: 6.2% (January 2012: 6.2%)

In January, ITV was the only broadcaster down y-o-y overall (-1%). BBC (+2%), Channel 4 (+1%) and Channel 5 (flat) were all up or flat vs. 12 months ago.

In terms of terrestrial channels, BBC1 (+7%) experienced some of the benefits of the removal of their children’s programming from their schedules, as they posted their best January share since 2008 (21.8%). BBC1’s primetime share was up anyway (+2%) but with 15.00-17.15 now rating about treble what they used to on weekdays, it looks like BBC One will be adding about 1-1.5 share points to its monthly share most months this year (when the primetime share remains about flat). The other terrestrial channels were down: C5 (-2%), ITV1 (-4%), C4 (-6%), BBC2 (-13%). Note: I know ITV1 is called ITV these days but for the purposes of this post, I’ll still call it ITV1 to make it clear when I’m reffering to the main channel itself or the broadcaster overall.

Within the BBC digital channels, BBC News (+10%) and CBeebies (+8%) both experienced growth. BBC Three (-7%) was down for the fourth consecutive month. Over on ITV, ITV2 (+8%) improved and ITV3 (+12%) achieved its best ever monthly share. ITV4 (-25%) however did badly for the second month in a row, falling below the 1% mark for the first time since October 2011 – looks like the Africa Cup of Nations and Cheers repeats haven’t been doing well for the channel. For Channel 4, E4 (+12%) continues its strong run of form with its best January share since 2007 (2.3%). More4 (+18%) grew its share for the fifth month in a row, but Film4 (-6%) and 4Music (-33%) both slipped. 4Seven continues to add a decent 0.3% share for Channel 4 meaning that even though the main channel was down y-o-y, the overall rise in share for the digital channels meant that Channel 4 overall as a broadcaster was up year-on-year. Over on C5, 5* (+20%) improved its share y-o-y for the first time since December 2011. 5USA meanwhile remained steady.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Honestly you can skip endless pages and not miss anything. The sad fact is though thet good posts get lost in a sea of dross. This is especially the case if you want to use the archive to check old overnights. You sometimes have to check 10 pages to get a figure whilst you try.

I know DS dont want to moderate forums as that can change their exposure regarding libellous postings so I suppose this is the way it will remain in a free for all. I really dont see why there cant be a +1 pointless arguements thread, a 1970's revival thread, a snow depth thread, a Christmas schedule thread (their is one I believe, but for those who cant leave this thread everything has to be posted x2), etc

Anyways back to skim reading & very ocassional postings for me!

Ah, so still an avid reader hanging on every word.

I never doubted it! :)
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone asked about tonight's Lewis being billed as 'the last ever'. Not so in Radio Times at least.
    Noticed that to in our local paper, while other use the phrase as a question rather than a statement.
    However as a replacement for Hathaway has reportedly been cast and was announced in sections of the press weeks ago I suspect tonight's episode will try and lead viewers into believing Lewis is going to snuff it, but actually Hathaway will die at the end.

P.S. Did Endeavor get picked up for a series?
    I think ITV's rugby coverage is pretty good, they make an effort to get decent pundits in for RWC. The highlight show is very good too, I don't mind Doyle and Bayfield

As much as I like BBC's coverage, they need to freshen up their pundits. It's been same 6/7 pundits for best part of a decade
    Absolutely agree. I've no issue with ITV's coverage and I guess one of the great things about them having the World Cup is we don't have to watch it through the eyes of Guscott, Davies, Wood etc. John Inverdale is undoubtedly one of the best sports presenters around but they definately need to mix it up more with their pundits and commentators, all of whom would probably do a better job if they weren't so secure in their roles.
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eggheads
    Bloke on his own beats the 5 of them for £29,000 :D
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »

P.S. Did Endeavor get picked up for a series?

Yes it did - I'm guessing that it's going to have the Spring Sunday slot that Lewis previously held.
  • rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    Here's a look at how the four main broadcasters did in the BARB Monthly Shares for January 2013:

In terms of terrestrial channels, BBC1 (+7%) experienced some of the benefits of the removal of their children’s programming from their schedules, as they posted their best January share since 2008 (21.8%). BBC1’s primetime share was up anyway (+2%) but with 15.00-17.15 now rating about treble what they used to on weekdays, it looks like BBC One will be adding about 1-1.5 share points to its monthly share most months this year (when the primetime share remains about flat).

Over on ITV, ITV2 (+8%) improved and ITV3 (+12%) achieved its best ever monthly share. continues its strong run of form with its best January share since 2007 (2.3%).

as the bbc is licence funded and doesnt need to have line ups like other none licence funded channels the bbc dominating all day long and causing problems for other british broadcasters surly cant be a good thing ? shouldnt the bbc be forced to stick to a strict rules of licence and be forced to screen kids tv on its main channels?

as itv is now a family of channels the main itv channels ratings cant matter as much as advertisers must know how the tv landscape has changed and itv must off them offers for itv 2,3,4 etc.

the reason bbc dominates is because its licence funded and its doubtful any advert carrying network will ever topple it while the licence is still in place.

would like another licence funded network to be on offer to rival the bbc and have more choice as to which licence funded service i could get as not everyone is a bbc fan.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    Any ratings for Got to Dance?
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some US ratings

The Grammy Awards was down more than 4 points in the demo vs. last years Whitney Huston fuelled show but equal with the 2011 show which was the best the show had done in a decade. Total viewership was the second best in around 2 decades as well so CBS can very happy. Predictably though the ABC line-up completely collapsed against the awards show with Once and Revenge both hitting series lows.

ABC
    7PM: America's Funniest Home Videos – 1.8 [7.28 million]
    8PM: Once Upon A Time – 2.2 [7.02 million]
    9PM: Revenge – 1.4 [5.07 million]
    10PM: Revenge for Real – 0.8 [2.89 million]

CBS
    7PM: 60 Minutes – 1.9 [11.9 million]
    8PM: Grammy Awards – 10.1 [28.37 million]

Fox
    7PM: Bob's Burgers [r] – 1.0 [2.19 million]
    7:30PM: The Cleveland Show – 1.3 [2.75 million]
    8PM: The Simpsons – 2.1 [4.31 million]
    8:30PM: Bob's Burgers – 1.8 [3.43 million]
    9PM: Family Guy – 2.4 [5.47 million]
    9:30PM: American Dad – 2.0 [3.80 million]

NBC
    7PM: Dateline [r] – 1.2 [5.71 million]
    8PM: Betty White's Second Annual 90th Birthday [r] – 0.6 [3.08 million]
    10PM: Saturday Night Live in th 80's [r] – 0.8 [2.56 million]
  • andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    sorry just wanted to ask if anyone knew the breakdown for last night's mr selfridge and call the midwife.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Person of Interest improved slightly to 1m/4% across C5 Total.

Die Hard 4.0 rated really well for C4. (2.1m inc. +1)

Last night's was a really good episode, in fact all the episodes of this show are good. Hope these improvements continue, atlhough it seems Channel 4's tactics seem to be working. Channel 5 should keep with the 9pm Sunday slot though for fear of even more viewers turning off.
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    6 Nations - 5 games @ 6m; 5 games @ 3m; 5 games @ 4m = average of 4.3m

Game cost of £2.67M per game

England football games cost well under £2M per game but deliver bigger figures.

6 Nations contract has always been priced well above commercial market value. Its only value to a commercial channel would be at a lower price tag - say £25M per year or in picking only selective matches.

Bigger figures? Biggest load of crap I've read on here in a while. The majority over the last year or two have been around 3m-4m, with a few countries like Sweden and Spain the only attractions to bring in over 5m.
    rzt wrote: »

BBC
    BBC1: 21.6% (January 2012: 20.1%), BBC2: 6.2% (7.1%), BBC3: 1.4% (1.5%), BBC4: 0.9% (0.9%), BBC HD: 0.3% (0.3 %), BBC News: 1.1% (1.0%), BBC RB: 0.1% (0.1%), CBBC: 0.7 % (0.8%), CBeebies: 1.3% (1.2%)
    --> Total: 33.6 % (January 2012: 33.0 %)

ITV
    ITV1: 16.2% (16.8%), ITV2: 2.6% (2.4%), ITV3: 2.8% (2.5%), ITV4: 0.9% (1.2%), CITV: 0.4 % (0.3%)
    --> Total: 22.9% (January 2012: 23.2%)

Channel 4
    C4: 6.2 % (6.6%), E4: 1.9% (1.7%), Film4: 1.5 % (1.6%), More4: 1.3 % (1.1%), 4Music: 0.2 % (0.3%), 4Seven: 0.3% (n/a)
    --> Total: 11.4% (January 2012: 11.3%)

Channel 5
    C5: 4.6% (4.7%), 5*: 0.6% (0.5 %), 5USA: 1.0% (1.0%)
    --> Total: 6.2% (January 2012: 6.2%)

In January, ITV was the only broadcaster down y-o-y overall (-1%). BBC (+2%), Channel 4 (+1%) and Channel 5 (flat) were all up or flat vs. 12 months ago.

In terms of terrestrial channels, BBC1 (+7%) experienced some of the benefits of the removal of their children’s programming from their schedules, as they posted their best January share since 2008 (21.8%). BBC1’s primetime share was up anyway (+2%) but with 15.00-17.15 now rating about treble what they used to on weekdays, it looks like BBC One will be adding about 1-1.5 share points to its monthly share most months this year (when the primetime share remains about flat). The other terrestrial channels were down: C5 (-2%), ITV1 (-4%), C4 (-6%), BBC2 (-13%). Note: I know ITV1 is called ITV these days but for the purposes of this post, I’ll still call it ITV1 to make it clear when I’m reffering to the main channel itself or the broadcaster overall.

Within the BBC digital channels, BBC News (+10%) and CBeebies (+8%) both experienced growth. BBC Three (-7%) was down for the fourth consecutive month. Over on ITV, ITV2 (+8%) improved and ITV3 (+12%) achieved its best ever monthly share. ITV4 (-25%) however did badly for the second month in a row, falling below the 1% mark for the first time since October 2011 – looks like the Africa Cup of Nations and Cheers repeats haven’t been doing well for the channel. For Channel 4, E4 (+12%) continues its strong run of form with its best January share since 2007 (2.3%). More4 (+18%) grew its share for the fifth month in a row, but Film4 (-6%) and 4Music (-33%) both slipped. 4Seven continues to add a decent 0.3% share for Channel 4 meaning that even though the main channel was down y-o-y, the overall rise in share for the digital channels meant that Channel 4 overall as a broadcaster was up year-on-year. Over on C5, 5* (+20%) improved its share y-o-y for the first time since December 2011. 5USA meanwhile remained steady.

BBC1 definitely feeling the benefits of a CBBC-clear daytime schedule. The large-ish drop on BBC2 is offset by BBC1's big gains.

ITV's digital channels continue to perform strongly. Only a matter of time before they break 3.0%. ITV(1) down, no doubt due to Dancing on Ice dropping.

C4 main channel down (5.3% without +1 added on), but that's cancelled out by a strong E4 (helped by US Sitcoms and Hollyoaks) and a rising More4. 4music is awful (I don't know why C4 bought Box Television), and the figures show it. 4seven maybe doing ok, but it's killing the main channel.

Despite a good-rating CBB series, C5 down slightly. Helped keep a flat rating throughout the portfolio though with 5* rising, and 5USA staying unchanged.

Overall ok set of ratings for broadcasters. Positives and negatives that balance each channel out well.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    BBC1 definitely feeling the benefits of a CBBC-clear daytime schedule.
    Although interestingly CBBC doesn't appear to be seeing any benefit from that.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    eterry21 wrote: »
    Last night's was a really good episode, in fact all the episodes of this show are good. Hope these improvements continue, atlhough it seems Channel 4's tactics seem to be working. Channel 5 should keep with the 9pm Sunday slot though for fear of even more viewers turning off.
    Yeah, it was a really great episode last night. Lots of twists and turns!! So many viewers missing out on a great show.

I don't think it's in danger of being moved, but they won't be thrilled with how it's done there to this point. Tough competition like the male-skewing films on C4 and a weaker than usual schedule around it don't help. No idea why they decided to repeat the Titanic docudrama before it last night as opposed to a big movie. And Piranha looked as awful as I feared.

They can't bring in Once Upon a Time to beef up the night yet though as there's too many obstacles in place like Midwife. And so the waiting game continues for now. But at least PoI crept up a bit, that's all we could have reasonably hoped for last night.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Although interestingly CBBC doesn't appear to be seeing any benefit from that.

What do you mean? Many shows are doing better than before and different shows are pulling in the ratings with the exception of The Dumping Ground being at the top of the week or even month.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    The one show is really lazy scheduling from bbc one. Is this because it achieves ratings that other 7pm shows didn't. It shouldn't be broadcast every single evening or taken off for part of the year. Wish they would launch a new soap to fight emmerdale as they did back in 85 with enders which was fresh and dynamic weekly drama. The bbc should be attracting a younger demographic during its week time slots as this just seems an extension of its older countryfile audience. Its not trying to be different or offering an alternative to itv. What about some edgy drama that talks about britian now and today?
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Some US ratings

The Grammy Awards was down more than 4 points in the demo vs. last years Whitney Huston fuelled show but equal with the 2011 show which was the best the show had done in a decade. Total viewership was the second best in around 2 decades as well so CBS can very happy. Predictably though the ABC line-up completely collapsed against the awards show with Once and Revenge both hitting series lows.

Good for the Grammy's, soaring singles sales coupled with some big name artists in recent years seems to have given the whole thing a big boost. It wasn't long ago the awards were hitting lows of 10m less than they had last night.

Awful for Revenge. But ABC will never learn it seems. Serialised shows in general would seem likely to benefit from consistent runs in the schedule. And if they took a break from December to late February they could run two consistent blocks per season (similar to some cable series).

Even if they find a mid 2 show in September to air at 9pm Sundays, you can guarantee they'll kill it with their hopeless scheduling through awards season.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've a feeling the papers might be right about this being the end for Dancing on Ice.

If ITV are tied into any contracts for another year, the ratings could be brutal.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've a feeling the papers might be right about this being the end for Dancing on Ice.

If ITV are tied into any contracts for another year, the ratings could be brutal.

I'm not so sure. It's still getting high 6s for the performance shows in a fairly early slot, and the results got 5.3m with +1 included last night in what has to be the toughest slot on TV. It isn't great and is way off where it once was but it really sin't that bad. It isn't actually that far below where it was last year (the performance show is only 0.5m down despite a worse slot). I just don't see what axing it would achieve or what they'd replace it with.
This discussion has been closed.