Microsoft ending support for Windows XP and Windows Vista

Comments

• NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Tried Chrome for a while until Google screwed around with the UI. Now happy using Firefox.

Firefox too will soon screw with the UI. What will you do then?:) Though it is typically easier to undo unwanted UI changes in Firefox than Chrome.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    watching U tube on fire fox and it broke down
    .... a plug in has failed .. it said
    I asume that was adobe flash

I went to flock browser , U tube conked on there

same story in google chrome

All this aggro just adds to the feeling that XP is slowly
    caving in beneath my feet.

The freeze up on firefox was that bad even the task manager would nt come up and I had to close down the comp and reboot.

Finally went on to Opera and U tube worked OK in there
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »

The freeze up on firefox was that bad even the task manager would nt come up and I had to close down the comp and reboot.

Maybe because you've got an OS that is becoming less and less supported. You can't expect online things to fully work when you're using an OS that Microsoft has stopped support for.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member

This sounds more like you have issues with your particular Windows installation. Might be worth a fresh install as I know Flash and YouTube work fine (for the most part) on all our XP clients in work, and most of those are just using IE8 as opposed to something more modern like Chrome or Firefox.
  • henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member

Is there any way that us millions of xp users can
    upgrade to the latest operating system without too much
    cost or hassle ?

Yes easy. Download and install Linux Mint 16 cinnamon edition. It is also free.
    Or for old machines use the superb LXLE operating system. Again free.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I know there will be exceptions that prove the rule but how many people have the same car they had 13 years ago?
    I just don't understand why so many people are hanging on to something that is slowly giving up the ghost. Not knocking anyone, I genuinely don't understand it.
    If it's just to play old games (still no comprehension here :confused:;-)) Just switch of the internet and keep the old PC in a dark corner of the house and get a new one for the important things in life....:D
    I hope you all find solutions to your problems, but I'm guessing things are only going to go down hill rapidly...
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    I just don't understand why so many people are hanging on to something that is slowly giving up the ghost. Not knocking anyone, I genuinely don't understand it.

I guess it's the case of if the computer is still working and still powerful enough to carry out the tasks you require it for why bother updating it to the latest i5/i7 machines just to surf the internet.
    Firefox & Chrome will carry on supporting there XP browsers for a while after Microsoft support has ended.
  • cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another question that arises with the imminent demise of XP support is whether the banks will raise issue with its usage (with regard to online transactions)? In the event of a non-fault fraudulent transaction occurring currently the banks will reimburse the user/customer as, invariably, it is through a glitch within their own system. I do understand that the banks may take a quite different view if, say, the computer in question is not sufficiently protected with anti-virus etc.

But I have not heard or read anything about the main banks having a general view on this one way or the other, but it would be pretty easy for them to make online access inaccessible to XP users. The point here is, though, that if online banking continues for XP users are the banks not likely to withdraw reimbursement following non-fault fraudulent transaction? Perhaps they might even introduce some sort of compulsion for XPers to download their own (the banks) security software?

I suppose this begs the question does anybody still use a currently unsupported OS (ME or 98, yikes) for online activity? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henm2 wrote: »
    Yes easy. Download and install Linux Mint 16 cinnamon edition. It is also free.
    Or for old machines use the superb LXLE operating system. Again free.

If it wasn't for the fact that I wanted my build early next year for games, I'd have probably went down the Linux route. The software I use is available for Linux. Like I said though, I want my future build for games as well.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    This sounds more like you have issues with your particular Windows installation. Might be worth a fresh install as I know Flash and YouTube work fine (for the most part) on all our XP clients in work, and most of those are just using IE8 as opposed to something more modern like Chrome or Firefox.

I was going to suggest the same. Is it possible for the OP to attempt a repair or complete wipe and reinstall?
    call100 wrote: »
    I know there will be exceptions that prove the rule but how many people have the same car they had 13 years ago?

Because it works. Replacing a car that is 13 years old and still working (yes there will be ongoing maintenance costs) with a new model is a costly exercise and what does it get you? Something that takes you from A to B in the same amount of time as an old car does probably just as reliably - so why change?

Same with my old PC. It still works, it still does what I need it to do (although it does struggle with HD video sometimes) and I would need to spend a sum of money I cannot afford on new hardware including replacing hardware that is no longer supported by the latest software (printer, scanner, router, etc). Yes it may save me 12.4 seconds in startup time, but that doesn't concern me. Nor is my current PC "giving up the ghost".
    Another question that arises with the imminent demise of XP support is whether the banks will raise issue with its usage (with regard to online transactions)?

Would the banks be able to prove that any security breach was down to the operating system? An XP machine running IE8 or Firefox with a competent operator is likely to be more secure as a Win8 system with MSE and average user who doesn't know what they're clicking on. I think they'd be hard pushed to deny access to their systems based on the OS you are running, but you never know, it may happen.

As a bit of an aside, and not something I'm recommending, but to get round the end of support for XP is it viable to "upgrade" an XP installation to Vista which would give another three years of support?
  • henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the fact that I wanted my build early next year for games, I'd have probably went down the Linux route. The software I use is available for Linux. Like I said though, I want my future build for games as well.

linux based distros used to struggle with games but this has changed greatly in the last 12 months see http://steamforlinux.com/
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Another question that arises with the imminent demise of XP support is whether the banks will raise issue with its usage (with regard to online transactions)? In the event of a non-fault fraudulent transaction occurring currently the banks will reimburse the user/customer as, invariably, it is through a glitch within their own system. I do understand that the banks may take a quite different view if, say, the computer in question is not sufficiently protected with anti-virus etc.
    With regards Antivirus, its still possible today to get protection for Windows 2000 and even NT4. These are both OSes that were killed off by Microsoft years ago. Given the huge user base of XP I would imagine it would be a long while before 3rd parties stop producing security products that are compatible with it.

Realistically I doubt the banks would be interested in that level of technical involvement, afterall the biggest threat is always going to be the user.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nt4/win2k were more business operating systems as there was 98/me available for the home consumer to play heir games on and only with XP did MS try to unify the two platforms into one so the people who are sill running NT4/2K will be businesses generally paying for the support at a healthy premium to run legacy code/equipment

I suppose we have a couple of years AV support for XP but if theres massive and easy to exploit holes found and the work to protect users is too much then i'd imagine free solutions will slowly disappear leaving the XP crowd either having to pony up or take risks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henm2 wrote: »
    linux based distros used to struggle with games but this has changed greatly in the last 12 months see http://steamforlinux.com/

From what I've read, only certain titles are compatible with Linux. It seems like too much faff doing that. I want to run the games I get on an OS that they were wrote for.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Because it works. Replacing a car that is 13 years old and still working (yes there will be ongoing maintenance costs) with a new model is a costly exercise and what does it get you? Something that takes you from A to B in the same amount of time as an old car does probably just as reliably - so why change?

Perhaps because the newer car is more efficient, and safer...A bit like the OS I dare say.
    And despite the fact that it still takes you from A to B, most people have not kept their old cars. Good job too, it's about all that's kept the economy ticking over...;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    As a bit of an aside, and not something I'm recommending, but to get round the end of support for XP is it viable to "upgrade" an XP installation to Vista which would give another three years of support?

If the PC was bought with Vista and XP downgrade rights, yes.

If you do not have Vista then good luck in buying it, but why would you? Unless it was substantially cheaper than 7/8 - a bridge you have to cross again in three years.

IMHO 8/7 are more polished, Vista is adequate as an OS.

Vista/7/8 are all NT6.x

Minimum HW requirements are very similar.

1GHz/1GB/20GB & DX9 VGA with WDDM 1.0

Recommend 2GB RAM and a dual core CPU as a realistic minimum.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    ....... Msoft will finally end extended support on 8 April 2014 – despite the fact that XP remains the second-most popular OS, with almost a third of PCs running it.......

Looks like 2014 is going to be a nightmare year for
    millions of xp users.....
    ... but then it will be a bit of a bonanza for the comp shops and techies who are asked to sort out the chaos....

thanks a bunch "Bill ...zillionaire ... Gates"

We could have .... Save XP ... mass marches on Washington..... a Save XP tent city could appear inTrafalgar Square....

Bill Gates could be burned around the world in effigy

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....... Msoft will finally end extended support on 8 April 2014 – despite the fact that XP remains the second-most popular OS, with almost a third of PCs running it.......

Looks like 2014 is going to be a nightmare year for
    millions of xp users.....
    ... but then it will be a bit of a bonanza for the comp shops and techies who are asked to sort out the chaos....

thanks a bunch "Bill ...zillionaire ... Gates"

We could have .... Save XP ... mass marches on Washington..... a Save XP tent city could appear inTrafalgar Square....

Bill Gates could be burned around the world in effigy

You can't expect Msoft to support XP forever. When XP was released - 12-13 years ago, Apple had the Puma OS which its given up security updating years ago... so Msofts support has lasted alot longer than that.

Although I do think that Msoft should extend their support for a number of years yet... if only for pensioners and those on tight budgets who can't afford an upgrade... Anyone who can afford it should upgrade... but I do feel sorry for those that can't fork out the cash for a new machine and Windows 7/8
  • The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Although I do think that Msoft should extend their support for a number of years yet... if only for pensioners and those on tight budgets who can't afford an upgrade... Anyone who can afford it should upgrade... but I do feel sorry for those that can't fork out the cash for a new machine and Windows 7/8

And when that deadline comes the same people will be moaning they need even more time. Extending the life of XP doesn't solve the issue, it merely kicks the problem down the road. Users have had plenty of notice, if they choose to ignore it then it is their problem. MS have to draw the line somewhere and IMO they have been fair and right to cease support for XP in April 2014 after nearly 13 years.

Dave
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Rat wrote: »
    And when that deadline comes the same people will be moaning they need even more time. Extending the life of XP doesn't solve the issue, it merely kicks the problem down the road. Users have had plenty of notice, if they choose to ignore it then it is their problem. MS have to draw the line somewhere and IMO they have been fair and right to cease support for XP in April 2014 after nearly 13 years.
    It would be interesting to compare old OSX and Linux versions which are still supported.

Mainframe/Mini computer manufacturers like IBM and HP made huge fortunes getting business to pay for years of extended support for old hardware/software.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It would be interesting to compare old OSX and Linux versions which are still supported.

Mainframe/Mini computer manufacturers like IBM and HP made huge fortunes getting business to pay for years of extended support for old hardware/software.

But on a mainframe system you pay as you feel you need it, if you need 24x7 with an engineer on site with a room full of spares then they'll do it for a cost but thats what you want, but from when i did work on mainframes there would generally be a new version of the software every year and the tech support people would generally cover the latest 2-3 versions under a normal support contract but if you went further back it was normally on a paid for incident and it certainly cost more than keeping up to date with the releases once you had to pay for a couple of incidents, generally we never touched upgrades till they had had 6-8 months in the field to let others find the problems and thats before we go into product licensing which can make grown bean counters cry when they see the costs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are fools, I've mentioned to people still running XP that they should have moved to Windows 7 four years ago.

The biggest 'complaint' you hear is that Windows 8 'is no good'. The XP refuseniks have played into MS hands allowing them the luxury of making a pig's ear of Windows 8 - if people had upgraded to Windows 7 at the time, they'd have had time to say, "Well Steve, there's time to really go away and have a good think about your next OS" because there really is very little real reason to upgrade to 8 from 7.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange comments.

Windows 8 has surely given a massive boost to Linux.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    People are fools, I've mentioned to people still running XP that they should have moved to Windows 7 four years ago.

The biggest 'complaint' you hear is that Windows 8 'is no good'. The XP refuseniks have played into MS hands allowing them the luxury of making a pig's ear of Windows 8 - if people had upgraded to Windows 7 at the time, they'd have had time to say, "Well Steve, there's time to really go away and have a good think about your next OS" because there really is very little real reason to upgrade to 8 from 7.

As far as normal use goes, I can't see what's that bad with Windows 8. Yes, you have the inconvenience of having to go to another screen to start a program you want that's not on the desktop, but you can easily create shortcuts for the desktop by left-clicking the program and then clicking on 'open file location' and then left-clicking on the file in its location and then choosing send to and then desktop. I suppose there could be problems that happen when more technical things are done with Windows 8. I think it's okay though.