Options

The party leaders and their re-election chances

UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What does everybody think are the chances of one of the party leaders losing their seat in the General election?

Cameron has a majority of 22740
Milliband has a majority of 10909
Clegg has a majority of 15284

I think the last leader to lose a seat in a GE was Archibald Sinclair in 1945.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every Chance Clegg will be gone.

Ed Balls's majority is also incredibly slim
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Clegg is probably 50/50. Miliband has a very outside chance of losing. Cameron is safe.
  • Options
    KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm rather intrigued how having a party leader as your MP is. I mean do they do a great deal in the constituency or are they too busy on national issues? Any one have any of these three as your MP?
  • Options
    Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Clegg is a dead cert to pick up his P45 in May. I think the Sheffield Hallam voting figures will be interesting reading.

I think Milliband is safe unfortunately but will have a massive reduction in his Majority. Rotherham really isn't helping his cause at all.

Cameron is the safest one of all.
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would happen if Labour won the election, but Ed Miliband lost his seat?
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Clegg situation is far from certain. The Survation / Unite poll showed nearly a quarter of voters are undecided, not to be confused with people who won't vote. Clegg's fortunes are tied up with that group and any tactical voting against a Labour win. I think it will be close, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was re-elected.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buster1874 wrote: »

Harriet gets to meet the Queen and laughter can be heard in the UK from across the other side of the Atlantic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattN wrote: »

Ball's Majority is only 1100 and that was on a Conservative in a Mining Town. I'd hate to tell all the Balls fans out there his seat will more than likely go to UKIP.

I'll be surprised if he keeps his seat will be incredibly shocked if he can raise his majority
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Harriet gets to meet the Queen and laughter can be heard in the UK from across the other side of the Atlantic.

That's not necessarily the case.

The Queen will ask the person most likely to command a majority of MPs in the Commons to form a government.

If Ed lost his seat, he would still remain party leader, and would then get the opportunity to form a government. A loyal labour MP in a safe seat would vacate his/her seat (to be rewarded with a peerage possibly) and EM would stand in the by-election and get back in to Parliament.

There is no stipulation that the Prime Minister has to be an MP, or even a member of the House of Lords.

Obviously if EM had lost his seat the damage to his authority would be massive and he may resign the party leadership immediately, in which case HH would automatically be party leader and then asked to form a government,

This is all hypothetical of course. The chances of a party getting a commons majority but the party leader losing their own seat is highly unlikely.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    What does everybody think are the chances of one of the party leaders losing their seat in the General election?

Cameron has a majority of 22740
    Milliband has a majority of 10909
    Clegg has a majority of 15284

I think the last leader to lose a seat in a GE was Archibald Sinclair in 1945.

Any thoughts?

I think that all three will retain their seats. Miliband's and Clegg's majorities will be reduced.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

:o:o:o:o:o
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Cameron and Miliband safe. Clegg gone. Balls under very serious threat
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    The only one in danger is Cleggers, and even he's unlikely to actually go. My dream scenario would be clegg, balls, millipede and Harman losing their seats but labour winning the election.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Buster1874 wrote: »

He'd still become PM probably because some loyalist would resign and force a by election in a safer seat (and probably get a peerage for doing so).
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ball's Majority is only 1100 and that was on a Conservative in a Mining Town. I'd hate to tell all the Balls fans out there his seat will more than likely go to UKIP.

I'll be surprised if he keeps his seat will be incredibly shocked if he can raise his majority

Be prepared to be incredibly shocked. I can't stand Balls but he will survive. This was a new seat for him in 2010 and it is not a mining area but actually a commuter area with commuters in modern estates who work in the Leeds financial sector- it is a seat that would be Tory down south. Nevertheless despite being a marginal he will have the incumbency he didn't have at the last election and the large Lib Dem vote last time will be going Labour rather than Tory bound. Add to that the north have been reminded what the Tories are like. More Tory commuters moving in since 2010 won't end up being the deciding factor.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be prepared to be incredibly shocked. I can't stand Balls but he will survive. This was a new seat for him in 2010 and it is not a mining area but actually a commuter area with commuters in modern estates who work in the Leeds financial sector- it is a seat that would be Tory down south. Nevertheless despite being a marginal he will have the incumbency he didn't have at the last election and the large Lib Dem vote last time will be going Labour rather than Tory bound. Add to that the north have been reminded what the Tories are like. More Tory commuters moving in since 2010 won't end up being the deciding factor.

A lot of labour "marginals" like Balls' seat and Southampton Itchen are normally safe which had slashed majorities in 2010 as the Labour vote crashed across the country. I would expect their majorities to be more comfortable in May.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Take it from somebody who lives in around Outwood and Morley you've got it completely wrong.....

Outwood is a mining town granted the pits have closed but the area is still a mining area. It's like South Wales. Yes Outwood has some nice new builds but the majority off it are all terrace houses. Morley has no money in it what so ever. The town centre is either a Charity shop or a closed unit.

Yes it was a new seat in 2010. This is a traditional Labour area. Wakefield is so Red it could be a communist strong hold. We hate Thatcher and love our Unions. The Lib Dem vote means jack here. We're not in the posh areas of Milton Keynes we're an old industrial sector.

No the Conservatives moving in to the area if they actually have because they're more likely to move to Weatherby, Harrogate and York than Wakefield and South Leeds. The fact we have stupidly high youth employment and a lot of Eastern Europeans taking the lower rung jobs will be a bigger decider on the way people will vote and they will vote UKIP.

Let's take the Heywood and Middleton by election last year where Labour lost a 6000 majority down to 600. This is also a supposed safe Labour area. Balls has no chance of getting back in.

Please do not lecture me about the place I have lived in for 26 year with some information you've googled. When I've lived, worked and been educated in the area
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattN wrote: »

Wow. That's the first time I've seen "Ed Balls" and "incredibly slim" being used in the same sentence :)
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Depends if Cameron remembers where he left his daughter.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many news on the seats for George Osbourne, Theresa May, Yvette Cooper & Jim Murphy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Many news on the seats for George Osbourne, Theresa May, Yvette Cooper & Jim Murphy?

Osbourne, May and Cooper are almost certainly safe. Murphy is 50/50 depending on the SNP.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take it from somebody who lives in around Outwood and Morley you've got it completely wrong.....

Outwood is a mining town granted the pits have closed but the area is still a mining area. It's like South Wales. Yes Outwood has some nice new builds but the majority off it are all terrace houses. Morley has no money in it what so ever. The town centre is either a Charity shop or a closed unit.

Yes it was a new seat in 2010. This is a traditional Labour area. Wakefield is so Red it could be a communist strong hold. We hate Thatcher and love our Unions. The Lib Dem vote means jack here. We're not in the posh areas of Milton Keynes we're an old industrial sector.

No the Conservatives moving in to the area if they actually have because they're more likely to move to Weatherby, Harrogate and York than Wakefield and South Leeds. The fact we have stupidly high youth employment and a lot of Eastern Europeans taking the lower rung jobs will be a bigger decider on the way people will vote and they will vote UKIP.

Let's take the Heywood and Middleton by election last year where Labour lost a 6000 majority down to 600. This is also a supposed safe Labour area. Balls has no chance of getting back in.

Please do not lecture me about the place I have lived in for 26 year with some information you've googled. When I've lived, worked and been educated in the area

Turnout in by-elections is typically much lower than General Elections, labour's majority in Heywood and Middleton will be much more comfortable in May.

Local knowledge or not I would be very surprised if Ed Balls is not reelected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Turnout in by-elections is typically much lower than General Elections, labour's majority in Heywood and Middleton will be much more comfortable in May.

Local knowledge or not I would be very surprised if Ed Balls is not reelected.

Yes I realize that by elections have lower turn out but you can't blame low turn out for UKIP having a rise of 10,000 votes from 1215 up to 11,016. What you can blame on is that UKIP are a popular party up north in Yorkshire and Greater Manchester.

IF Ed Balls does get reelected it will be by a few hundred. Lucas got more of a majority in Brighton and she's was in a 'minor' party at the time.

I know a lot of you on the left think Labour has got Yorkshire in the bag but the game has changed. UKIP is going to be a massive factor up here.

Sorry but bye bye Balls
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but bye bye Balls

Ed Balls losing his seat would be the best thing possible for Yvette Cooper's career. She could then run for the leadership without the hindrance of her husband on the scene.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you think Ed Balls is going to lose to UKIP then you clearly do not know the area you live in.