Going to Meadowhall Centre in Sheffield

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which is the best and cheap way to get to Meadowhall Centre in Sheffield from Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire?

If I were to use a taxi and if the fare started at £2.50, how would the total be for the entire journey for 2 people?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    A taxi wouldn't be the cheapest way! There is a train station at Meadowhall, and from what I remember the trains on both South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire were rather cheap, but that was over 15 years ago. So it might be different now.
  • Rupert RigsbyRupert Rigsby Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    £39.80 based on the Kirkless Council Taxi rate card.

I'd walk if I was you.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batley, Dewsbury & Ravensthorpe to Meadowhall by train is from £11.10 per person return.

Mirfield to Meadowhall by train is from £9.40 per person return.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How far are you from the M.1.? it is right next to the M.1. and dead easy to get to.
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole place is only worth it for the food court in my opinion.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you get back you will call it what everyone else in SY calls it Meadowhell.

Probably best is bus to Leeds or Wakefield Westgate then train to Meadowhall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't go is my advice :p
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeds city centre is much better for shopping than Meadowhall
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be in Sheffield in two months. As has been said, there is a train station at Meadowhall, and if you fancy it, you can get the tram into central Sheffield from there.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    I'll be in Sheffield in two months. As has been said, there is a train station at Meadowhall, and if you fancy it, you can get the tram into central Sheffield from there.

Might be better getting the train from Sheffield Station, as the tram you most likely have to change, although there is a direct tram but that is every 30 minutes off peak last direct tram about 2pm on a normal weekday, 6-7pm weekends & even then trams reverse formation in the City Centre, & takes about 20 minutes, the train takes about 10 minutes.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Which is the best and cheap way to get to Meadowhall Centre in Sheffield from Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire?

If I were to use a taxi and if the fare started at £2.50, how would the total be for the entire journey for 2 people?

Bus to Wakefield and either bus or train from there to Meadowhall. ts the only way. 15 years ago there was an express but from Hecky to Meadowhall and then Sheffield but thats no good to you now. ;-)
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Batley, Dewsbury & Ravensthorpe to Meadowhall by train is from £11.10 per person return.

Mirfield to Meadowhall by train is from £9.40 per person return.

They go via Leeds and means changing trains.
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I have to change trains?

Can't there be just one train that goes on the same line that passes Meadowhall?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    They go via Leeds and means changing trains.

Or Wakefield.....and it's not hard to change trains.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't there be just one train that goes on the same line that passes Meadowhall?

There isn't a railway station in Heckmondwike so you going to have to bus it to Leeds or Wakefield anyway.
  • JavedJaved Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    Don't go is my advice :p

We go every May when dear child has a sporting event at the Arena. I think it's great. However we only went there in the evenings and Sunday morning. No idea what it might be like in a Sat afternoon - maybe hell.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manchester city centre is better for shopping as well.

The shops in Meadowhall aren't really that great I think.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because trains aren't like cars where the driver decides where to go. Railway lines were mostly built 100-200 years ago whereas Meadowhall was built less than 25 years ago. Now stop whining. It's just the way it is.

Heck to Dewsbury bus station, then the National Express coach direct to Meadowhall. The coach journey part of it between 40mins and 1 hour depending on traffic. The cost is between £8 and £10 per person return depending on dates and times + bus fare to and from Dewsbury. You can do the journey plan online here: http://coach.nationalexpress.com/

The only way you'd get this journey cheaper is if one of you drives and you carpool.

A taxi is going to cost £40 each way, so for two of you then you might as well say £40 each. Trains are going to take ages (bus to Dewsbury. One train to Leeds, then another train from Leeds to Sheffield. Total journey time approx 2.5~3 hours each way!) and cost more. There's no direct bus service any longer. The X33 express stopped running back in 2007 I think. The coach seems like the most convenient and the quickest and the cheapest solution.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know how from where you are but you can get the X78 in Frenchgate interchange in Doncaster and ticketwill cost around £7.50
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Don't know how from where you are but you can get the X78 in Frenchgate interchange in Doncaster and ticketwill cost around £7.50
    It's in the OP. He/she says they're in Heckmondwike. The cunningly hidden bit was where they wrote "to Meadowhall Centre in Sheffield from Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire" ;-) :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because trains aren't like cars where the driver decides where to go. Railway lines were mostly built 100-200 years ago whereas Meadowhall was built less than 25 years ago. Now stop whining. It's just the way it is.

Heck to Dewsbury bus station, then the National Express coach direct to Meadowhall. The coach journey part of it between 40mins and 1 hour depending on traffic. The cost is between £8 and £10 per person return depending on dates and times + bus fare to and from Dewsbury. You can do the journey plan online here: http://coach.nationalexpress.com/

The only way you'd get this journey cheaper is if one of you drives and you carpool.

A taxi is going to cost £40 each way, so for two of you then you might as well say £40 each. Trains are going to take ages (bus to Dewsbury. One train to Leeds, then another train from Leeds to Sheffield. Total journey time approx 2.5~3 hours each way!) and cost more. There's no direct bus service any longer. The X33 express stopped running back in 2007 I think. The coach seems like the most convenient and the quickest and the cheapest solution.

If you go from Mirfield it takes about an hour with a change at Wakefield. Just have to get to Mirfield.
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »

I once got the x78 to Doncaster. I think it was possibly the worst bus journey of my entire life.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    From Heckmondwike get the 268 bus to Dewsbury, then train from Dewsbury to Meadowhall changing at Leeds, trains do go direct from Leeds to Meadowhall but can take ages either goes via Castleford & Barnsley or it's the stopper via Wakefield to Sheffield.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Meadowhall is alright, as long as you don't go at busy times of year. I do remember it being better in the past though, a lot of shops seem to be more full of image and less in content now, like you'll get quite a few of the same type of shop selling crap you don't need and the quality is not there, so you end up having to get it from town or online anyway. Still, it's sometimes nice when the weather's bad and when you can't be arsed walking too far, or are new to Sheffield and worry about getting lost!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    If you go from Mirfield it takes about an hour with a change at Wakefield. Just have to get to Mirfield.
    From Heckmondwike get the 268 bus to Dewsbury, then train from Dewsbury to Meadowhall changing at Leeds, trains do go direct from Leeds to Meadowhall but can take ages either goes via Castleford & Barnsley or it's the stopper via Wakefield to Sheffield.

But why take the train at all when.....

a) it takes as long or probably much longer

b) it might also involve a change of train - more hassle, inconvenience, uncertainty if unfamiliar with the station and platform layout

c) it'll cost more and there's the hassle of working through which trains are and aren't peak/off-peak etc etc

The coach gets there in 30-40 minutes on average. It's door to door from Dewsbury to Meadowhall. There's no complicated changes involved. Also, it costs less. I'm all for supporting and using the railways where possible; but not if it involves a shed load of extra hassle and a higher cost as well.