Options

Sky - can I drop the £10.25 a month for HD?

Andrew_StephensAndrew_Stephens Posts: 4
Forum Member
I've been a Sky customer for quite a few years, paying for the "Variety" pack as it's now called (£28/m) plus £10.25/m for the HD pack. Their "Family" pack seems to be effectively the same thing (i.e. Variety pack + HD), but is only £33/m.

I just wondered what my chances were of getting Sky to "upgrade" me to the Family pack, saving me £5/m? I'll give them a call tonight, but just curious...

Comments

• Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think youe HD should only be £5.25pm as its only a tenner if you have movies or sports, but threaten to cancel and you might get it cheaper - I'm paying £28.60pm for all the basic channels, Sky Sports and HD.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been a Sky customer for quite a few years, paying for the "Variety" pack as it's now called (£28/m) plus £10.25/m for the HD pack. Their "Family" pack seems to be effectively the same thing (i.e. Variety pack + HD), but is only £33/m.

I just wondered what my chances were of getting Sky to "upgrade" me to the Family pack, saving me £5/m? I'll give them a call tonight, but just curious...

Call thier bluff and say you want to cancel. Much cheapness ~should~ come your way.*

* If this does not work just say you'll think about it and call back later, nothing lost.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

Be prepared to do without for 4-5 weeks.

The best offers come around a month after loss of service. So plan ahead for when you know you'll be on holiday or away for work.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, it sounds like you're on an older package so it should be possible to "downgrade" to the Family Pack at £33/m. You'll lose Sky Sports F1, but keep everything else.
  • Options
    Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I think youe HD should only be £5.25pm as its only a tenner if you have movies or sports, but threaten to cancel and you might get it cheaper - I'm paying £28.60pm for all the basic channels, Sky Sports and HD.

how do you get the Sports channels and HD for so little? Do you mean sports channels in HD or in SD?
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If your not paying for movies or sports and you aren't interested in the F1 channel then the Family pack is definitely for you.

I have it and I'm very happy with it as you get all the Entertainment HD channels and the Box Set on demand stuff.

The old style £10.25 HD pack is now a legacy pack and has only been kept alive for those who want the F1 channel.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how do you get the Sports channels and HD for so little? Do you mean sports channels in HD or in SD?

There is two ways to get the sports channels in HD and one of those is a legacy from when you could still get the £10.25 HD pack new which you can't anymore.

One is if you have the old £10.25 HD pack which is no longer offered to anyone you have to have it from before They changed things 2 years ago and that of course is on top of the basic entertainment and regular sports packs.

Option 2 which most people now have to use is get the Family pack which is all SD and HD entertainment channels along with box set on demand content, along with the sports pack and the premium channels HD pack.

I think the prices are as follows but I might be out by a little:
    Option 1:
    Basic £21.50 + Sports £26 + old HD pack £10.25 (remember you have to already have the HD pack for this option to be available to you as its no longer offered)
    Total: £57.75

Option 2:
    Family £33 + Sports £26 + premium HD pack £5.25
    Total: £64.25

Yes that's right the new system is more than what it used to be to get sports in HD but is the only option for new and upgrading customers who don't already have the HD pack.

However its cheaper for those who only want entertainment channels in HD, which imo is the way round it should be.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All channels in HD - I cancelled Sky TV in March last year and turned down all their offers through the summer till October when they offered me that deal.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    All channels in HD - I cancelled Sky TV in March last year and turned down all their offers through the summer till October when they offered me that deal.

It's not possible to get all channels in HD.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    It's not possible to get all channels in HD.
    It's pretty obvious he meant all of the HD channels that are available.

___

Andrew_Stephens, I have the same package as you do, when I rang up Sky last year they offered to drop me to that package so I am fairly certain it is possible for you to do so.

If you're not interested in HD at all, the Variety pack is what you want (I think).

Give them a ring and see what they will do, they might even offer you a discount. They offered me a discount on my broadband when I rang them up (and offered to drop me to what is now the Family Bundle, although I declined because I have the HD pack for Sky Sports F1).
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    This might be useful if you haven't seen it.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/negotiate-with-service-providers

In my case I managed to get Sky HD (no sports and films) for £16.50 until October.

If I don't get a good discount after that, out they go!
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    In my opinion Sky will drop the HD Subscription when they launch a UHDTV service.