Rick Astley - the greatest male singer of all time?

Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sure everyone knows about Rickrolls - when you click a link and you get Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up... this isn't a Rick Roll - more like a sandwich roll.... I feel hungry...

But seriously, I think Rick Astley could/might/perhaps is the greatest male singer ever.

Check out this version of NGGUP and the bit at 2 mins 32 seconds when he signs "and when you ask me how I'm feeling.."

It's incredible. :eek: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2lSL_3mUCg

I've never heard anyone sing better than that. PERIOD.

I prefer his voice to Elvis Presley/Frank Sinatra and others. His face doesn't match his voice which can be a little off-putting, perhaps *(Elvis Presley had an amazing voice and face) but Rick Astley voice - when he sings at his best - is insanely good! He's the James Bond of male singers. LOL

Comments

• RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    when he sings at his best - is insanely good! He's the James Bond of male singers. LOL

Yeah...the Roger Moore Bond ;)
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This forum gets dafter by the day.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This forum gets dafter by the day.

Daft is good,....;)
  • TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carl Wilson (Beach Boys) is a far superior singer
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is it here? ridiculous comparisons between od and the beatles, now this?what utter nonsense
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I think Rick has a really good singing voice and (imo) his songs were SAW's best productions.

I like lots of male singers though so it's hard to pick a best but Rick is definitely one of my faves.
  • CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er, Marvin Gaye? Al Green? Smoky Robinson? Dana International?
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has preserved his voice really well... I don't think it's the best male voice ever, but he is underrated.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    He has preserved his voice really well... I don't think it's the best male voice ever, but he is underrated.
    I agree about the underrated bit. We saw him in Southport a few years back (one of those 'party in the park' things) and he was bloody terrific. Michael Ball did one a few years later and he wasn't a patch on Astley.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    I love Rick!
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the underrated bit. We saw him in Southport a few years back (one of those 'party in the park' things) and he was bloody terrific. Michael Ball did one a few years later and he wasn't a patch on Astley.

What? I saw that Michael Ball show and he was fab! The audience thought so too and it was a lot bigger than Astley's audience because I at that one as well. Rick Astley has a good voice but it's not nearly so versatile as MB's voice.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    What? I saw that Michael Ball show and he was fab! The audience thought so too and it was a lot bigger than Astley's audience because I at that one as well. Rick Astley has a good voice but it's not nearly so versatile as MB's voice.
    We'll have to disagree then - and before I go any further - I should say I do like Michael Ball. Maybe it was because I didn't like a lot of the songs Michael was singing (apart from towards the end when he did a couple of Queen songs) and I much preferred the content of Astley's set. Its a matter of preference but I much preferred the Astley show (even though the rain that night was torrential).
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Winwood has a good voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbKNICg-REA
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er, Marvin Gaye? Al Green? Smoky Robinson? Dana International?

Luther Vandross, Stevie Wonder, Aaron Neville, Robert Plant, Roger Daltrey,..

Michael Ball and Rick Astley?!?!

Joke thread surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Rick has a really good singing voice and (imo) his songs were SAW's best productions.

I like lots of male singers though so it's hard to pick a best but Rick is definitely one of my faves.

i dont think many would argue against this.... after all its not hard to be one of saws best is it! :D and he does have a decent singing voice...

but nowhere near one of the best ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Luther Vandross, Stevie Wonder, Aaron Neville, Robert Plant, Roger Daltrey,..

Michael Ball and Rick Astley?!?!

Joke thread surely?

Well, I didn't actually say Michael Ball had the best male voice of all time! I think that would be a bit silly. However, I do love Ball's voice and think he's a great singer but I'm entitled to do so and I'm entitled not to be able to stand Aaron Neville's voice.

If the OP thinks Rick Astley has the best male voice of all time then it's their opinion, to which they are entitled. So, no, it's not a joke thread but it is an opinion left wide open to derision (never in short supply on this forum!)

My vote for the best voice of all time? Elvis Presley. A much more accepted opinion though, needless to say, not everyone's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my personal fav would be scott walker.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to expand on my opinion of Michael Ball's voice. He's not a great pop singer - many pop singers are two a penny anyway and of course I would never compare him with the likes of Stevie Wonder or any of the great pop/rock/soul singers.

But I love West End musicals and, having seen him in numerous productions, he IS a great singer for musical theatre. So, if you can't stand musicals, then you will wonder what I'm going on about but if you had seen his mesmerising performance in Sweeney Todd you still might not like musical theatre, but you might begin to get my point!

Scott Walker? Yes, he's definitely up there. Unmistakeable voice.

Though not as good as Elvis, lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very difficult to choose the best male singer as we all have our own personal favourites, but would agree Rick A has quite a unique voice, and is always recognisable, which is preferable to some of those rather bland voices that all sound the same, which I would rather not say who, as I wouldn't want to upset their followers:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long John Baldry soz about the man at the beginning of the clip ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVSgmUIlCz8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon O wrote: »
    Long John Baldry soz about the man at the beginning of the clip ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVSgmUIlCz8

some of his rareties were featured last week in the rare 60's classics thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some of his rareties were featured last week in the rare 60's classics thread.

I do quite like 60s singers because my mum used to play them when I was a kid.

what about Chris Farlow? good voice but a bit of an ugly mug ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDjbul0WyE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another oldie with a good voice :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFVPxBpezk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon O wrote: »
    I do quite like 60s singers because my mum used to play them when I was a kid.

what about Chris Farlow? good voice but a bit of an ugly mug ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDjbul0WyE

i like chris farlow, especially his definitive version of 'handbags and gladrags', he has been mentioned in that thread, and will be again when i get to the 'f's, sometime around next june! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry Ryan wasnt a bad singer, love his hair :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9md5oW00q4