cat pregnant??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 623
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi guys

I was looking for a bit of advice, I am looking after my neighbours cats for the week while she is on an easter break however i think one of them may be pregnant, i know she hasnt been 'done' and her teets are really large.

Im not sure what to do really as she is a very shy cat and doesnt like being handled too much so it is difficult to get a look at her (unlike the other cat who is in constant need of attention lol).

Should I just leave her be and hope she holds off till my neighbour gets back? And is there anyway i could definately know she is pregnant?

thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She could be.
    Are her nipples leaking milk as they give birth a couple of days later.
    They tend to put weight on around the sides. At first they look like a rugby ball then they fill out.
    She might have an increased appitite
    She could become more effectionate as well
    She might try and build a nest.
    When does you neighbours come back. A pregnancy last any way between 61-65 days. Does she go out side at all if she does i would keep her in as if she is further along in her pregnancy she could have them else where.
    I hope i have been some help.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think you can tell unless you can get hold of her Maisy, or take her to the vet. Why hasn't your silly neighbour had her done ? !

I suppose she'll have to decide what to do when she gets back unless you can contact her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you both

She is back on Friday so not too long, i was just worried i should be doing something different, feeding wise or something?

She is an outdoor cat but is equally happy indoors, i have kept her indoors so far as i was a bit anxious if i let her out she would just sit at my neighbours window and i wouldnt get her to come back in lol.

She does seem to be going into a lot of quiet cosy places, behind the couch and in the cupboards but i couldnt say for sure that this isnt because she is quite an anxious cat and is in a strange place?

I will keep an eye on her and let you know how it goes :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we only realised that our cat maisey moo was pregnant when she started to look like a rugby ball. She was very thin when she found us about a month before we noticed. I could have got rid of the kittens but didnt we had just lost one of our own ones and i just didnt want to end another life. She could be nesting now as maisey did that. Is she in your own house or is she still at home. You have done the best thing for her by keeping her in its best to be safe than sorry. Do you know how old she is
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    You could try building her a cosy little nesting box - an old cardboard box with fairly high sides - lined with some newspapers and an old towel or two. Put it somewhere out of the way and pop her in it a few times to get her used to it. I would keep a careful eye on her as they sometimes need help if the babies start but get stuck.
    Mmmm, new kittens! Gorgeous....but do try and get neighbours to get her spayed as soon as kittens are weaned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks again, i have now got a box and some newspaper set up and have introduced her to it, she is staying at my house luckily so i can keep a close eye on her!!!

She does seem to be a bit rugby like shaped but it is very difficult to tell as although she hangs about in my garden daily she usually backs away when approached so not really noticed her 'normal' shape!!! It was the teets that i noticed which are really large!

I do think my neighbour is intending on getting her spayed as the older female has been done and i am sure she has mentioned it before, but if she does have kittens i will be keeping one of them :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    haynat1 wrote: »

if she does have kittens i will be keeping one of them :)

OOh, Kittens are always better in twoes...or threes!