"Disabled children cost the council too much money and should be put down".

Comments

• StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people on this thread are trying to demonise the Conservatives for their own political ends, throwing mud and hopeing it will stick.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I just find it strange that someone who professes that "equality and compassion sort of instilled my left leaning principles" can be so full of hate for anyone with a differing political viewpoint. It's not the first time I've noticed this contradiction from those that claim the moral high ground in the equality and compassion stakes.

Really... cause I certainly don't remember saying I don't retaliate when I and those I care about are under attack
    don't let the "hippy" part of my username fool you,

I don't "hate" those with a differing political viewpoint, I hate those with a differing ideological viewpoint those who see the poor, the unemployed, the employed but low paid, the disabled the sick the dying etc as "scroungers" or "work shy, or shirkers, ALL words used by the leader of the conservative party, and the prime minister of this country, I find it an utterly shameful disgusting and a deliberate and intentionally divisive attack on minorities, and I am certain history will condemn him for it,
    but regardless of all that it, is certainly NOT 'helpful' for the leader of a nations government to use such terms to describe SOME citizens of his own nation.
  • KNIGTHOUTKNIGTHOUT Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Isn't that offensive and discriminatory language? I believe there is a subsection of something or other that makes it a criminal offence.
    You might be thinking of offences contrary to sections 5, 4A, 4, of the Public Order Act 1986. I think you need someone to be likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styles wrote: »
    I think people on this thread are trying to demonise the Conservatives for their own political ends, throwing mud and hopeing it will stick.

I think you should examine the facts and not what you are spoon fed by the coalition or their mates in the press. Then you will see that no one is trying 'demonize' the Tories as they seem to have managed that all by themselves.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KNIGTHOUT wrote: »
    You might be thinking of offences contrary to sections 5, 4A, 4, of the Public Order Act 1986. I think you need someone to be likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.

If you say so.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has taken all this time, to get an apology from him, delivered on a crumpled piece of paper, second class stamp on envelope

Scans here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2285190/Disabled-children-cost-Bizarre-rant-councillor-disability-charity.html

It's frankly not acceptable for him NOT to step down

I'm going right the top, and letting David Cameron know about this

the signatures are growing

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/904/950/173/calling-for-the-immediate-resignation-of-colin-brewer-independent-councillor-wadebridge-east/

address to write to:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/127542751/For-Complaints-to-the-Cornwall-County-Council-Regarding-Councillor-Colin-Brewer
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    If so much hadnt been spent on schools we would be better off, if we hadnt spent so much on hospitals we would be better off, if we hadnt spent so much on pensioners we would be better off...........
    I meant too much money had been spent on bankers.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's frankly not acceptable for him NOT to step down

I'm going right the top, and letting David Cameron know about this

Whats it got to do with Cameron? :confused:
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    What I feel about the MP who made those comments is that he is utter SCUM, I mean obviously if someone is as vile as to make comments like that then it is them who have the problem as they have no respect for anyone.

I would urge all in his area not to vote for him or even speak to him if he feels that way as he is a waste of space.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really... cause I certainly don't remember saying I don't retaliate when I and those I care about are under attack
    don't let the "hippy" part of my username fool you,

I don't "hate" those with a differing political viewpoint, I hate those with a differing ideological viewpoint those who see the poor, the unemployed, the employed but low paid, the disabled the sick the dying etc as "scroungers" or "work shy, or shirkers, ALL words used by the leader of the conservative party, and the prime minister of this country, I find it an utterly shameful disgusting and a deliberate and intentionally divisive attack on minorities, and I am certain history will condemn him for it,
    but regardless of all that it, is certainly NOT 'helpful' for the leader of a nations government to use such terms to describe SOME citizens of his own nation.

You're doing the usual thing I see on here, telling me what you think the Tories are doing rather than what they are actually doing.
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has taken all this time, to get an apology from him, delivered on a crumpled piece of paper, second class stamp on envelope

SECOND CLASS STAMP?!?!?!

This proves beyond doubt he is evil and uncaring.... :mad:
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    A bit strong.
    He should have gone for career criminals and serial wasters instead. The people who live off other people's money and posessions, who never do a day's work and generally take the p!ss out of society, that may have won him some votes.

Are you suggesting we should kill those convicted of crimes so the taxpayer may save some money ?
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This guy should join the Tory party, he'd fit in well.
  • KNIGTHOUTKNIGTHOUT Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I just find it strange that someone who professes that "equality and compassion sort of instilled my left leaning principles" can be so full of hate for anyone with a differing political viewpoint. It's not the first time I've noticed this contradiction from those that claim the moral high ground in the equality and compassion stakes.
    Because there is nothing wrong in hating what you perceive as evil, and there is nothing wrong with feeling rage in defence of the vulnerable and attacking those who are attacking the vulnerable. There is no moral equivalency between those who hate evil and those who are evil, or between those who attack the vulnerable and those who attack those attacking the vulnerable.

The only defence against such righteous rage is pleading innocence of the crime. That they are mistaken your intent is good, that you are not evil, that you seek to help the vulnerable not harm them. That any detrimental consequences of your actions were unintended. But do not expect words to easily quell rage at what they perceived you to be, which is evil, callous and cruel and if you offer no plea of innocence just your different abhorrent view, then do not expect people to accept it and just agree to disagree as evil is an anathema.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The guy is a total arse. His remark is totally indefensible.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    For me, that is the decision of the electorate. In a democracy he should not be hounded out.
    In a democracy you can ask someone to resign.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    The goverment themselfs would be to scared to say this, but are doing the same thing. They just say the benefit bill is to high, does that mean we cannot afford benefits for the disabled, or we cannot afford disabled people. Means the same thing to me
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    Because there is nothing wrong in hating what you perceive as evil, and there is nothing wrong with feeling rage in defence of the vulnerable and attacking those who are attacking the vulnerable. There is no moral equivalency between those who hate evil and those who are evil, or between those who attack the vulnerable and those who attack those attacking the vulnerable.

The only defence against such righteous rage is pleading innocence of the crime. That they are mistaken your intent is good, that you are not evil, that you seek to help the vulnerable not harm them. That any detrimental consequences of your actions were unintended. But do not expect words to easily quell rage at what they perceived you to be, which is evil, callous and cruel and if you offer no plea of innocence just your different abhorrent view, then do not expect people to accept it and just agree to disagree as evil is an anathema.

Spot on, after David Cameron's son died, Gordon Brown spoke in the commons of the joy that Ivan had brought and how much he was loved. I do not doubt he was telling the truth and in my experience most copnservatives do not hate disabled people

It astonishes me that many tories on here find it so hard to condemn this councillor who is not even a member of their party. I dislike the welfare reforms intensely but I could make a more coherent defence of them than I have heard on here or from government ministers.

I say to the tories, try and persuade me with a rational argument, show me you understand my concerns, give me an indication that you are aware of the human impact from your own life experience, tell me what this new way of understanding disability is that the government talks about and please recognise us all as individuals who can not be stereotyped.

Those of us on the left are quite comfortable criticising the parties we vote for when we disagree with them we woudl respect you more if you could question your own party
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    In a democracy you can ask someone to resign.

I don't see anyone saying that you can't :confused:
  • jim4bbjim4bb Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe that people think if you vote conservative you automatically dislike disabled people. Your political beliefs have no bearing on your attitudes to disabled people.

Thats almost the same as saying if you vote for a nationalist party (Welsh, Scottish or Irish) you automatically dislike English people.

The benefits bill in this country is too high, this is not neccessarily the results of having to many people on benefits but the fact we do not have enough people in work paying tax & NI to support it. This is not helped by a retirement age which in the future will mean you get a pension for nearly as long as you work. If you can work you should work no reason why you shouldn't work up to seventy or beyond. I plan to work for as long as I can, this way I pay more tax and NI which supports others who can't.

I don't believe just because I will have worked for fifty years I should be entitled to just sit on my backside and draw a pension. Disabled people or anyone who cannot work through ill health has not had the opportunites that I had. The majority of them would have wanted to work, unfortunately they get tainted by the "few" scroungers who abuse the system.
    Forum Member
    jim4bb wrote: »
    I cannot believe that people think if you vote conservative you automatically dislike disabled people. Your political beliefs have no bearing on your attitudes to disabled people.

Thats almost the same as saying if you vote for a nationalist party (Welsh, Scottish or Irish) you automatically dislike English people.

The benefits bill in this country is too high, this is not neccessarily the results of having to many people on benefits but the fact we do not have enough people in work paying tax & NI to support it. This is not helped by a retirement age which in the future will mean you get a pension for nearly as long as you work. If you can work you should work no reason why you shouldn't work up to seventy or beyond. I plan to work for as long as I can, this way I pay more tax and NI which supports others who can't.

I don't believe just because I will have worked for fifty years I should be entitled to just sit on my backside and draw a pension. Disabled people or anyone who cannot work through ill health has not had the opportunites that I had. The majority of them would have wanted to work, unfortunately they get tainted by the "few" scroungers who abuse the system.

Thank you Jim, That is the sort of conservatism I can understand and respect.

My approach is slightly different, as someone in their mid 50's I look forward to retirement as a chance to serve, to get stuck in to voluntary work particularly mentoring young people, retiring to me is about Retyring, doing something fresh not encumbered by the office politics. In retiring I also open up an opportunity for new people in come in.

Some people are lucky enough to have the sort of job that is fulfilling but not too tiring that gives them everything they want in life, but I guess they are few and far between.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    For me, that is the decision of the electorate. In a democracy he should not be hounded out.

You must have been spitting nails then, when Cameron announced his plans to allow elected politicians to be re-called.
  • jim4bbjim4bb Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    razorboy wrote: »
    Thank you Jim, That is the sort of conservatism I can understand and respect.

My approach is slightly different, as someone in their mid 50's I look forward to retirement as a chance to serve, to get stuck in to voluntary work particularly mentoring young people, retiring to me is about Retyring, doing something fresh not encumbered by the office politics. In retiring I also open up an opportunity for new people in come in.

Some people are lucky enough to have the sort of job that is fulfilling but not too tiring that gives them everything they want in life, but I guess they are few and far between.

I'm also mid fifties, I imagine continuing to work not necessarily in a full time role or even in my present engineering occupation. As with you I think this gives you a chance to give something back by volunteering. We have recently started an apprentice and I have take the role as his mentor just a shame not many other young people will get the same chance.

I also give a small amount to charity each month (about 1% of my salary) and my employer matches my donation. Just a shame everyone doesn't do the same. Those who complain most about the rich having everything tend to give nothing or very little themselves.

You can be aTory and still have a heart.
    Forum Member
    jim4bb wrote: »
    I'm also mid fifties, I imagine continuing to work not necessarily in a full time role or even in my present engineering occupation. As with you I think this gives you a chance to give something back by volunteering. We have recently started an apprentice and I have take the role as his mentor just a shame not many other young people will get the same chance.

I also give a small amount to charity each month (about 1% of my salary) and my employer matches my donation. Just a shame everyone doesn't do the same. Those who complain most about the rich having everything tend to give nothing or very little themselves.

You can be aTory and still have a heart.

I am not a Tory, but we can find much in common, There are good and bad people in all parties, and neither side has a monopoly on truth or wisdom. I am much more interested in the effects of policy than the rather tedious partisan stuff that can not see any good in the other party or dare to question their own side.

That was why I was so amazed that posters were struggling to question this councillor who was not even a Conservative.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stupid man, but that is the attitude in local authorities and the NHS towards the elderly, or so is the impression that the lack of care suggests.