Options

Top 50 Political Myths

MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Whether they concern election results, favourite pop bands or sexual misdemeanours, many tales about politics are completely untrue. We count down our favourite falsies...

http://www.totalpolitics.com/print/2648/top-50-political-myths.thtml

I found this (embarrassingly) interesting. Some were perhaps being very picky but none the less I hope you find it a good read. Perhaps some "Myths" are indeed correct.

Comments

• Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    Whether they concern election results, favourite pop bands or sexual misdemeanours, many tales about politics are completely untrue. We count down our favourite falsies...

I found this (embarrassingly) interesting. Some were perhaps being very picky but none the less I hope you find it a good read. Perhaps some "Myths" are indeed correct.

I'd known Portugal and Britain usually have good diplomatic relations, but
    I didn't know they were the UK's "Oldest Political Ally".
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A mixed bag. They should have stuck to the misquotations.

The top political myth in Britain is of course that you are not even allowed to talk about immigration or only started talking about it recently. Immigration control has been a prominent feature of British political debate since at least 1958.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very interesting read.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bokonon wrote: »

The top political myth in Britain is of course that you are not even allowed to talk about immigration or only started talking about it recently. Immigration control has been a prominent feature of British political debate since at least 1958.

True that.
    Lord Ashcroft has described the 2005 General Election campaign as being dominated by Immigration.
    And it was!
    (Are you thinking what we're thinking? Er.....No Michael. To be honest.....I'm not.)
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    They should have mentioned that old staple of the laptop bombadiers,

"The 1933 Oxford Union resolution, "That this House Will
    Not Fight for King and Country", encouraged the Nazis to start WWII".

In fact, historian Martin Ceadel went through the Nazi press of the 1930s and
    found hardly any mention of the King and Country debate. The 1933 resolution
    was more of a protest against WWI than a statement of absolute pacifism.

Also, David Walter in his book "The Oxford Union: Playground of Power" says that
    a group of angry men later stormed into the OU building and tore out the minutes of
    the "King and Country" resolution. Most of the men were members of
    (sarcasm) that well-known anti-Nazi Germany group, the British
    Union of Fascists. (sarcasm).
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd known Portugal and Britain usually have good diplomatic relations, but
    I didn't know they were the UK's "Oldest Political Ally".

Not the UK's/Britain's oldest ally - but England's.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    A joke which goes around Twitter occasionally is an exchange in the House of Commons which goes something like this:

Dennis Skinner: Half the members opposite are crooks!
    Speaker: The honourable member must withdraw that remark.
    Dennis Skinner: All right. Half the members opposite aren't crooks!

But Skinner never said any such thing. It is an old joke which has appeared in various forms, attributed to various different people, since as early as 1927.