Options

Sky Broadband unlimited dropping connection daily

evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am a broadband customer and for a few weeks I have found the connection disconnecting in the evenings. This has happened three nights in a row, I have to write this quickly before it disconnects, I continually go through the self heal and follow the instructions but the fault is at Sky's end. I see on your Sky's site there are many customers complaining about the nighttime connection. Please can you tell me what is happening.

Comments

• Options
    RAYJORAYJO Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Been experiencing the same deal for a couple of days myself.spoke with an advisor who informed me my micro filter was faulty,and a replacement would be mailed out.I happened to have a new filter available to me,and a new DSL cable,and a alternative router.switched everything over and the problem is still there!been onto sky again and awaiting results of tests.looking like my phone line to me,but will update with news as I get it!
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Do either of you use Avast as your anti virus?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Removed face plate from master phone socket,plugged filter into test socket behind plate.this was about six hours ago,and so far all fine,no drop outs at all.engineer visit arranged for next week,advised by sky that no problem with using this method,although it does negate my extension socket while it's connected this way.a small problem until engineer fixes hopefully!In reply to the other post,I do use avast anti virus on my computer.maybe I'll look at replacing with another anti virus,and see what effect that has.thanks for the heads up on that!
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    RAYJO wrote: »
    Removed face plate from master phone socket,plugged filter into test socket behind plate.this was about six hours ago,and so far all fine,no drop outs at all.engineer visit arranged for next week,advised by sky that no problem with using this method,although it does negate my extension socket while it's connected this way.a small problem until engineer fixes hopefully!In reply to the other post,I do use avast anti virus on my computer.maybe I'll look at replacing with another anti virus,and see what effect that has.thanks for the heads up on that!

If it stays working in the test socket then cancel the engineer visit as you are likely to be charged. You are responsible for everything after the master socket including the faceplate and any extensions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been experiencing the same deal for a couple of days myself.spoke with an advisor who informed me my micro filter was faulty,and a replacement would be mailed out.I happened to have a new filter available to me,and a new DSL cable,and a alternative router.switched everything over and the problem is still there!been onto sky again and awaiting results of tests.looking like my phone line to me,but will update with news as I get it!
    I went onto the sky website and saw many customers messaging on the forum about the line going down in the evenings. I phoned on Saturday and the adviser was very helpful but it was the same procedure as the page tells you and I have tried numerous times ie: testing the wires, reset button, making sure the points are not loose. She told me BT were updating lines and this could be the cause and she could not do a test for me because of this. Today is a bit better but because of the inconsistency for about a week I cancelled my subscription. Sky have been good thus far, i asked if she could send me another router and she was reluctant at this point do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    Do either of you use Avast as your anti virus?

No I do not, I sense the problem is with Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    If it stays working in the test socket then cancel the engineer visit as you are likely to be charged. You are responsible for everything after the master socket including the faceplate and any extensions.

Was advised by sky that master socket covered,but not the extension socket.
  • Options
    robrymondukrobrymonduk Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rarely used to have any drop outs or issues but lately I've been having regular problems with the connection including today for several hours.

It seems to fix itself eventually but the usual tricks don't work. The status was showing as 'Green'.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Have been having the same problem for the past week now, constant drops, seems to strike worse when trying to play games online or if people start watching Netflix, seems to be like it's fine for a few hours, then in the space of one hour it will disconnect and not detect an ADSL signal like four or five times, and then be ok again for a few hours.

Really starting to piss me off now as Sky's phone team are completely worthless and keep insisting that I must have faulty microfilters, despite me having a faceplate filter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just an update, phones Sky again this morning and they now have admitted that they are having some problems in the North West region and that they are hoping to have them sorted by the end of the day.
  • Options
    F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Just an update, phones Sky again this morning and they now have admitted that they are having some problems in the North West region and that they are hoping to have them sorted by the end of the day.

I hope your right and it fixes my problem it's been suffering random slow downs for the last couple of days.

Sometimes takes over a minute to open a web page, downloads seem fine so it could be DNS issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was advised by sky that master socket covered,but not the extension socket.

Were you plugged into the master socket when the problem started happening or into an extension ? If it was the master socket you may be ok so long as its a BT faceplate and not one you or someone else has fitted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Were you plugged into the master socket when the problem started happening or into an extension ? If it was the master socket you may be ok so long as its a BT faceplate and not one you or someone else has fitted.

My desktop was plugged into extension,but since I bought a tablet I find myself rarely using desktop!master socket was replaced a couple of years ago when I was with AOL
    It is a BT faceplate,but since I plugged in on Sunday I have had no problems!I'm thinking along the lines of cancelling engineer visit and just sticking with the set up as it is,as I'm
    not really bothered about the socket with the plate off!interesting that sky are now admitting problems in north west,as i' m in Cumbria!also did a speed test using tablet and speeds were over 16mbs!fastest I've ever had I believe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking along the lines of cancelling engineer visit and just sticking with the set up as it is,as I'm
    not really bothered about the socket with the plate off!

That would be the safe option and you can buy a new faceplate for not much at all and quite legally fit it yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still seems to be dropping frequently, I guess I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and do the only thing which seems to get their attention, threaten to cancel and go elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Still seems to be dropping frequently, I guess I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and do the only thing which seems to get their attention, threaten to cancel and go elsewhere.
    I have cancelled,. The line still drops and it takes about an hour to connect. Advisor told me many customers were calling about the same problem, so fault has to be with SKY.
  • Options
    F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My previous issue seems was fixed last night as I've had no slow browsing since 4:30pm.

Not all faults are due to BT or SKY, In the Summer months my connection continually drops out but it's due to external noise from what I believe is a water pump about 75 meters from my house.

Every time it switches in my connection falls out, While it's on my connection is really slow. I can monitor it by using the radio, I can tell by the amount of noise on the radio the speed I can expect to get on broadband.

Under BT it was awful almost zero connection and speed.
    Under O2 I could just ring them and have them lower the SNR a for a few weeks and it would be fine.
    Under SKY I get lots of drop outs and if I get too many drop outs speed starts to reduce.
    There seems no way to get back the original speed as it's like talking to a brick wall at SKY.

Last year I also had BT out as my phone went dead, they actually found 3 separate faults on the line. This mode no difference to the external noise issue.

I'm just saying it's sometimes worth checking around the area for other causes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That would be the safe option and you can buy a new faceplate for not much at all and quite legally fit it yourself.

Here is the kicker.last night reconnected the face plate to the socket,thinking see what happens!know what!everything worked fine!no drop outs at all!now today has been spent at work,but all still seems fine!however just out of chance,last night I disconnected my phone line from my sky box.when I originally got a sky box,the engineer wired up my phone socket to go into my sky box.after disconnection,I later tried this back in,guess what!signal dropped.once disconnected again,all was fine!cancelling engineer visit now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did the sky box have a filter when plugged into the phone line ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the sky box have a filter when plugged into the phone line ?
    Yes but to update everyone who kindly wrote the line is back to normal today, not once has it disconnected.
  • Options
    chappiechappie Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    If anyone is plugged into an extension socket & having trouble open it up & see if there is an orange wire as well as the white /blue & .blue/white, if so disconnect it, the older type phones needed it to ring , latest phone don't need it
  • Options
    MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in central Scotland and been having the same problem for about 3 weeks now. Had Sky & BT engineers out numerous times and still the problem persists>:(
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the Thames Valley and have Avast. With me it always happens around 2.30 pm.I have checked all connections etc and they seem to be OK.I can't find anything on the Sky Help site that actually deals with this. I never seem to be able to get through to Sky on chat or telephone and it seems you can't send them e-mails any more (bit ironic !) I have tried Firefox but the same thing happens.
  • Options
    p6410880p6410880 Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    phoned sky set wireless channel to 6 in router menu and it fixed my problem. no longer dropping connection phoned sky and will talk you thru it to set wireless channel

hope this helps its not the adsl filter as have same one connected i think it wireless trying to find best wireless channel.

thx:)
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p6410880 wrote: »
    phoned sky set wireless channel to 6 in router menu and it fixed my problem. no longer dropping connection phoned sky and will talk you thru it to set wireless channel

hope this helps its not the adsl filter as have same one connected i think it wireless trying to find best wireless channel.

thx:)
    if channel 6 had not worked sky would have got you to try channel 11 or channel 1.
    any way how is it going now.