Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I follow Jack P Sheperd on Twitter and he had to tweet in reply to everyone messaging him about an SOR. People noticed the taxi changed colour whilst on his trip to Liverpool. He wrote:In last nights Corrie, David got a black cab to the train station and got another taxi from Liverpool train station to his hotel #Boring

Good for him, the vast majority of SORs here are simply cases of people not paying attention or not thinking about what may have happened of screen.
  • Options
    MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Good for him, the vast majority of SORs here are simply cases of people not paying attention or not thinking about what may have happened of screen.

Some maybe but the vast majority ... I don't think so. Every episode of the programme is scattered with SORs.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Could this be the build up to a future storyline of a baby with some sort of problem. Its known that there can sometimes be problems such as Downs Syndrome with older mothers, and that's something they haven't tackled in Corrie yet, although they did have a Downs Syndrome baby in Eastenders several years ago but that was with a young mother.

There's plenty of scope for Corrie to explore the problems of pregnancy in later life and get it totally wrong.

Have I got faith in the writers portraying something accurately? Obviously not based on what we've seen in the past.

I think the odds are 3 million to one for a mother over 40 not having a downs baby. My friend has a mum who is 56 & my friend is 16 & she was telling me how when her mum was pregnant how she was told she could have the test with the embryo from the inside & how they could tell if anything was wrong with the baby, but how the baby could die from the operation.

It would be good if Corrie could explore this, and all of the decisions Erica would have to make, I.e. Do I want this baby? Should I get it tested? Etc.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    I can't see their being any baby.

THEIR! :o:o:o >:( :blush:

THERE!
    PERILLA wrote: »
    Neither can I.

If she really is pregnant (it could be the beginning of the menopause or a false alarm) she might not go full term. Whatever the outcome I hope it's done with sensitivity.
    dd68 wrote: »
    The last time Nick was an expectant father he couldn't wait to get shot

I think the whole pregnancy SL is just a convenience to interfere with Nick and Carla's 'relationship' and maybe something else........ after which it will be disposed of. Sorry.
  • Options
    FionnBFionnB Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    I follow Jack P Sheperd on Twitter and he had to tweet in reply to everyone messaging him about an SOR. People noticed the taxi changed colour whilst on his trip to Liverpool. He wrote:In last nights Corrie, David got a black cab to the train station and got another taxi from Liverpool train station to his hotel #Boring

He was also sitting in the front rather than the back, as he had been when he left home, so I think they made it pretty clear it was a different taxi. Much more of an SOR that there is no mention of his dad who lives in Liverpool!
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FionnB wrote: »
    He was also sitting in the front rather than the back, as he had been when he left home, so I think they made it pretty clear it was a different taxi. Much more of an SOR that there is no mention of his dad who lives in Liverpool!

I'm pretty sure though Martin isn't mentioned out of spite by tptb as the actor quit because he wouldn't do a certain storyline.
  • Options
    MallyminxMallyminx Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    It's not exactly unknown for a woman in early/mid 40s to have a baby...but one on the verge of FIFTY???? I've never heard of a single woman of that age getting preggers naturally. Even if the menopause hasn't started it's nigh on impossible, fertility would be almost nil. (Although the oldest woman, according to the Guinness Book of Records was 57.) So may be not impossible, but more chance of winning millions on the lottery!
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallyminx wrote: »
    It's not exactly unknown for a woman in early/mid 40s to have a baby...but one on the verge of FIFTY???? I've never heard of a single woman of that age getting preggers naturally. Even if the menopause hasn't started it's nigh on impossible, fertility would be almost nil. (Although the oldest woman, according to the Guinness Book of Records was 57.) So may be not impossible, but more chance of winning millions on the lottery!

Even harder for a female character that was originally billed as being in her early 60's when first introduced by SB.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As someone else said, it maybe that she's going through the menopause but mistakingly thinks she's pregnant and will find out shortly that that is what it was. Did she say she'd done a pregnancy test??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick was asked by Carla (I think it was) if a test had been done and the answer was yes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick was asked by Carla (I think it was) if a test had been done and the answer was yes!

Oh. Well, that's my theory blown out the window! :p
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    attitude99 wrote: »
    I think the odds are 3 million to one for a mother over 40 not having a downs baby. My friend has a mum who is 56 & my friend is 16 & she was telling me how when her mum was pregnant how she was told she could have the test with the embryo from the inside & how they could tell if anything was wrong with the baby, but how the baby could die from the operation.

It would be good if Corrie could explore this, and all of the decisions Erica would have to make, I.e. Do I want this baby? Should I get it tested? Etc.

A forty-nine year old has a one in twenty-five chance of having a child who has downs syndrome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not necessarily. There is very little continuity in CS these days, so anything could happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not altogether. :D The "pregnancy" hormones increase with age so there is a chance of older women having a false positive result in a test.
  • Options
    Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My dad's best friend's mother had him at 50, last in a large family so it does happen, not often perhaps but some women don't really hit menopause until their mid fifties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My dad's best friend's mother had him at 50, last in a large family so it does happen, not often perhaps but some women don't really hit menopause until their mid fifties.

I am not making accusations against your family friend, but occasionally these "late pregnancies" were really the offspring of the teenage daughter.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure though Martin isn't mentioned out of spite by tptb as the actor quit because he wouldn't do a certain storyline.

Well he was mentioned for at least a few years after his departure, the last time David visited him was back in 2009. I guess they have just decided to forget him as Sean Wilson has ruled out ever returning.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevepjk wrote: »
    Ask him why lilly is invisible half the time and not a 21 month old toddler

Almost all the time! This is the first sighting in a long time. And she's much too young - Corrie can be so poor on casting characters, babies, children and adults, who actually look about the age they are meant to be.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What?? I don't think you've got that quite right!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When David was packing up the room and the kids to leave the hotel, I'm sure there was still a blue t-shirt hanging up in the wardrobe
  • Options
    Lost TripperLost Tripper Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people think that a soap opera of this low standard should 'explore' serious matters like children with disabilities when they cannot even get cuts and bruises right?

There are plenty of serious documentaries on all channels that deal properly with these matters.
  • Options
    russ75russ75 Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he was mentioned for at least a few years after his departure, the last time David visited him was back in 2009. I guess they have just decided to forget him as Sean Wilson has ruled out ever returning.

I seem to remember Kevin randomly mentioned him in the Kabin a few months ago for some reason
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah to Callum - If you don't do as I say (or summat similar) me and you are finished. :o:D

So he after barged into the family home, threatened everyone, beat your brother up and everything else he's put your whole family through, as long as he does as you say, you are still going to be seeing this low life?

:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for Erica and the baby, it will never happen. When Victoria Court goes up smoke, she'll be knitting bootees in Nick's place.

Nick will be upset and frown a lot more, Carla will console him, Liz will smoke 40 **** and swill a few crates of wine in Erica's memory, Eileen will be traumatised by memories of the tiny fireman and Dame Rita will raise a glass as she remembers Tina.

Corrie BGT week. More misery. :D
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does Mary do with the chemical toilet in the van?.. Surely that's a health risk
This discussion has been closed.