Officer 'Inserted Song Titles During Mark Saunders' Inquest'

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my god I can't believe it. (I've never been this far away from home)
  • slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Is this meant to be the bit where he inserted song lines ? Beyond 'Enough is Enough' which is valid in the circumstances, I can't spot any more.....

Fuller report here in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/nov/02/mark-saunders-song-titles

They include:
    Enough is Enough by Donna Summer, Point of No Return by Buzzcocks, Line of Fire by Journey, Quiet Moments by Chris de Burgh, Kicking Myself by As Tall As Lions and **** My Old Boots by the Membranes.

I think there may be more in there, his manner of speaking is very odd and stilted, you can see there's something not right there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's it to do with you though? this was something between collegues.

No it wasn't. It was at a public inquest into a death, not a private matter between colleagues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slsls wrote: »
    No it wasn't. It was at a public inquest into a death, not a private matter between colleagues.
    From what I read it was alleged that is was a shared joke between collegues to see if they could get song titles in.
    That doesn't mean to say he went ahead with it, unless he joked about it afterwards.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nasty old song writers. :mad:

How DARE they use the English language in their song titles.

Still, I suppose it makes a change from "Buzzword" bingo during speeches.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i posted on this. harmless commenmt.

where's it gone?
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fuller report here in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/nov/02/mark-saunders-song-titles

They include:

I think there may be more in there, his manner of speaking is very odd and stilted, you can see there's something not right there.

Hmmm...It's an eclectic old mix and some of them are common phrases. If it was, say, inserting Queen titles into his testimony then it may be a bit more clear cut, but it would be hard to pick this up.

I wonder if one of his mates grassed him up ?
  • cartreecartree Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i posted on this. harmless commenmt.

where's it gone?

There's (at least) two threads dude.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it all back

must have been the other thread
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, but how on earth did he get the phrase "F*ck My Old Boots" into his testimony?? :confused:
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm...It's an eclectic old mix and some of them are common phrases. If it was, say, inserting Queen titles into his testimony then it may be a bit more clear cut, but it would be hard to pick this up.

I wonder if one of his mates grassed him up ?

He's certainly under pressure now. A few Police Officers have been kicked out this year, and it could be another one bites the dust.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone must have been tipped off in the courts when looking at those transcripts, I don't believe someone had picked out a load of song names out of the blue, unless they suffered Autism or was bored.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I read it was alleged that is was a shared joke between collegues to see if they could get song titles in.
    That doesn't mean to say he went ahead with it, unless he joked about it afterwards.

The Guardian have printed transcripts of his evidence to the inquest and pointed out items within it that could be song titles.

The reports I have read have made it pretty crystal clear that this was in evidence given, nowhere have I seen it reported that this was merely something which was discussed with a colleague but which did not happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but how on earth did he get the phrase "F*ck My Old Boots" into his testimony?? :confused:

He said:
    I switched the light on, he turned towards me and I thought: '**** my old boots, I've got a gun trained on me ...

That's the one that really clinched it for me, it's a very odd phrase to get in.
  • LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a POS this copper is, he should get six months.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »

from the guardian link:

I switched the light on, he turned towards me and I thought: '**** my old boots, I've got a gun trained on me ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's certainly under pressure now. A few Police Officers have been kicked out this year, and it could be another one bites the dust.

Don't know, there would have to be a significant breakthrough for this to stick, and they don't want to go rushing headlong into it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    from the guardian link:

If he said that in court it certainly seems the story is true, and he is a complete moron (is his name Gordon?).

He should consider his future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know, there would have to be a significant breakthrough for this to stick, and they don't want to go rushing headlong into it...

This is getting silly, but dont stop me now!!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he said that in court it certainly seems the story is true, and he is a complete moron (is his name Gordon?).

He should consider his future.

If you google on that phrase, though, you do come up with quite a lot of people using it 'conversationally' in posts and fora.

Unless someone can pin this on him convincingly, there is nothing in what he's said that he couldn't pass off as just an expression. The choices he's used just seem a bit too obscure, to be honest...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian have printed transcripts of his evidence to the inquest and pointed out items within it that could be song titles.

The reports I have read have made it pretty crystal clear that this was in evidence given, nowhere have I seen it reported that this was merely something which was discussed with a colleague but which did not happen.

"The Met CO19 firearms officer, referred to only as AZ8, reportedly dropped in the lyric references as part of a shared joke."
    It was obviously discussed! whether he went through with it is another matter, Yes he gave evidence but what was said could just be coincidence and very hard to prove
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The officer was very silly, but gallows humour during court hearings certainly isn't unusual. We once - quite intentionally - got a German doctor to admit during a murder trial that, when he was treating the deceased, he "Vos only following orders.." :o:D
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    The officer was very silly, but gallows humour during court hearings certainly isn't unusual. We once - quite intentionally - got a German doctor to admit during a murder trial that, when he was treating the deceased, he "Vos only following orders.." :o:D

Somehow it just doesn't seem right for police officers in such positions of authority to be acting like schoolchildren. If that is there mentality then they should have gone to work at car phone warehouse or somewhere else where this sort of behaviour wouldn't seem so unprofessional and tasteless.

As it is I think the police force atracts the wrong sort of person. It seems to have too many people with big egos who are overimpressed with their own inflated sense of importance. I have seen it many times where police officers act as if they are a law unto themselves, which in many circumstances they can be.

Much much more should be done to stop this sort of boneheaded idiot getting into these positions of authority. There have been too many cases in tha past few years for me to believe that this is anything less than a systemic failure on the part of the police and not simply the odd bad apple.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's it to do with you though? this was something between collegues.

Erm, since the story has been made public, people have every right to make judgements and voice their opinions.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remarkable discovery, What an idiot the officer is