Unholy Conversion As Church Becomes A Tesco

124»

Comments

• Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    It's a non-story. The only reason it's mentioned is because it's evil Tesco. There's a Church in Middlesbrough which is now a Mosque! I'm sure that's more insulting to Christianity than Tesco taking over a derelict church.

Indeed. Build quality now is pathetic. Everything is built too fast with cheap materials. Walls are thin, architecture is boring with no character. Old buildings look great now still, whereas all this modern shit is going to get old pretty quickly... just like 70s tower blocks.

You never know, one day even Tesco could end up being split up, taken over, or going out of business.

Remember Woolworths and many other once great names that are now history?
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    You mentioned Woodhouse in Leeds, I know the area.

Sorry, I completely misread your post despite reading it a few times! Aplogises.
  • marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Posts: 2,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A church being turned into a Tesco? That's nothing. In Derby, there a Tesco Express that used to be a pub. Now that's a tragedy...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    You never know, one day even Tesco could end up being split up, taken over, or going out of business.

Remember Woolworths and many other once great names that are now history?

The same could be said about any company, but at the moment Tesco clearly have a monopoly with these Express stores in certain areas. That can only cause loss of business to the other local convenience shops... if they go out of business then it's less business rates to the council, unless Tesco pay inflated ones?

Where Tesco opened near me there was absolutely no requirement for it. There was Spar, a local convenience shop, a fruit shop, a bakers, a buchers, a florist, a general shop (hardware and such), a post office, and numerous take aways...

Since Tesco opened most of the other shops are relatively empty.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    The same could be said about any company, but at the moment Tesco clearly have a monopoly with these Express stores in certain areas. That can only cause loss of business to the other local convenience shops... if they go out of business then it's less business rates to the council, unless Tesco pay inflated ones?

Where Tesco opened near me there was absolutely no requirement for it. There was Spar, a local convenience shop, a fruit shop, a bakers, a buchers, a florist, a general shop (hardware and such), a post office, and numerous take aways...

Since Tesco opened most of the other shops are relatively empty.

Tesco really is getting too big but I do wonder just how they manage to keep on growing at the rate they do. There was another company that did that for a while - Enron. I hope there isn't some dark secret at the core of Tesco.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Tesco really is getting too big but I do wonder just how they manage to keep on growing at the rate they do. There was another company that did that for a while - Enron. I hope there isn't some dark secret at the core of Tesco.

Shh, don't mention Enron! If Tesco went that way something like 50% of the UK population would be out of jobs and 80% of buildings in the UK would go derelict!!! (exaggeration... slightly)
  • ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally have zero problems with Tesco. Theyre convenient and have everything I need. The corner shop generation is long gone - long live the cheap products.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    "I suppose it represents people's priorities nowadays - the convenience of being able to buy their bread a few miles closer is more important than prayer and religion."

Indeed! Religion in the UK is dying.

... and for the fact that religion is fading away I say "hoorah".

Tesco are just another shop. I don't shop there as there isn't one near me (I am nearer to a Sainsburys or Morrisons) but if I were I'd probably use it from time to time.