Options

The most creative songs ever are...?

Comments

• Options
    CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The soaring, haunting and beautiful Wuthering Heights.

and Kate's "This Woman's Work" is a certain classic.

Stay by Shakespears Sister still resonates and sends shivers down my spine. As does their ""Hello,hello, turn the radio on"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna's whole 'Ray of Light' album. A masterpiece
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghosts by Japan. Compare it to the rest of the songs in the charts in 1982 and it stands out like a diamons in a sea of cack.

I'd agree there, in fact Japan's whole output is hard to beat
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James - Skullduggery
    The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
    The Cure - The Caterpillar (well I think so:o)
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady Gaga- Bad Romance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Biko wrote: »
    Most Bjork songs

Most things by Radiohead

Bjork definitely has a lot of really original and creative songs. She is my favourite solo act by miles. I love it because she is very diverse but still not weird enough to be "avant guard".

Radiohead also have their fair share of really interesting and different song, but again staying listenable and not weird.
    kutox wrote: »
    Girls Aloud - Biology

Although I cannot stand Girls Aloud, I have some weird fondness for this song. It's quite odd for a girl band in my opinion.
    anything by M.I.A. :)

Definitely. Although some of her stuff is slightly weaker, on the whole she is very progressive and unique. She takes influences from all over the place and puts them in her music.

More specifically, here are some songs I think are very creative:

- Bjork - Pluto
    - Yeasayer - Ambling Alp
    - Massive Attack - Group 7
    - Siobhan Donaghy - Ghosts
    - Klaxons - Atlantis To Interzone
    - Skunk Anansie - Hedonism
    - MGMT - Kids
    - CSS - Alala
    - Radiohead - Idioteque
    - Sigur Rós - Saeglopur
    - Goldfrapp - Utopia
    - Maxim and Skin -Carmen Queasy (:D!)
    - N*E*R*D - Lapdance
    - Peaches - F**k The Pain Away
    - Grace Jones - Corporate Cannibal
    - M.I.A. - XR2
    - The Prodigy - Breathe
    - Bat For Lashes - I Saw A Light
    - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zerp
    - Patrick Wolf - Magic Position

Any many more... mainly by most of the acts I mentioned. In fact, that'd be an ideal playlist for me :) I think being creative doesn't necessarily mean being 100% original, but there needs to be some kind of progression there. I hate things which have been done to death and usually only stay loyal to acts who move on and don't make the same album 5 times.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    The soaring, haunting and beautiful Wuthering Heights.

I love that song, it really is haunting. Puts a chill down my back whenever I listen to it.
    pharoah wrote: »
    Madonna's whole 'Ray of Light' album. A masterpiece

That is a good album, I think the title track was used on the Windows XP commercials too!
  • Options
    ElectroflowerElectroflower Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    No I'm the last person to be ironic about that - I'm a huge pop music fan :) not all pop music, but the good stuff anyway. Your posts are really interesting by the way :)

Thanks a lot! :)
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brighton Rock - Queen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Brighton Rock - Queen

Queens most known song, Bohemian Rhapsody, is very creative in my opinion. It's an awesome song... more like 3 song is one.
  • Options
    fluffsta007fluffsta007 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    For a song which is really out of the box I would have to go with
    Focus - Hocus Pocus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDW9b_ejfI&feature=fvst
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girls Aloud - Biology

Only took to the post #8 for Biology to be rolled out:rolleyes:
    Just coz is it shite doesn't mean it is creative. It is absolutely a holy mess of a song..and this is coming from someone who generally likes GA music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Just coz is it shite doesn't mean it is creative. It is absolutely a holy mess of a song..and this is coming from someone who generally likes GA music.

Okay, can people keep the negativity out of this thread? Creativity is a subjective thing and it's everyone's right to disagree but it wouldn't hurt to be less inflammatory about it.

Just saying.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ghosts by Japan. Compare it to the rest of the songs in the charts in 1982 and it stands out like a diamons in a sea of cack.

indeed a great original track, however i certainly wouldnt refer to the charts from 82 as 'a sea of cack', there were some great tracks.
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    It's indivual taste. I'm entitled to my opinion...why does every single sodding thread always have to attract someone who just wants to be negative? Also, don't forget that people of different ages will all have different feelings on what's creative and what isn't, so there's that to think about before dismissing somebody's opinions.

negative or subjective? it depends upon whether you are just asking for a meaningless 'love in' or whether you want something more factual.

people say its all subjective and down to personal opinion, but is it really? i mean, some artists DID create original creative sounds. recuring examples are kate bush, david bowie, beatles, all of which did produce creative music. its the old confusion between opinion and fact...
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people say its all subjective and down to personal opinion, but is it really? i mean, some artists DID create original creative sounds. recuring examples are kate bush, david bowie, beatles, all of which did produce creative music. its the old confusion between opinion and fact...

I guess it's subjective to a certain extent. People judge quality according to what they understand defines the term. I think many people have a fairly limited spectrum of experience (whether it's music or film or art etc.) and therefore judge quality against the best of what they understand is high quality. For those of us who have had a broader experience (and how many of us have listened to Mathertron's list of music with irregular time signatures?) then what constitutes creativity may be completely different.

I think by definition pop music is seldom creative inasmuch as it is rarely ground-breaking or experimental or avant-garde or sophisticated. That's not its purpose; it's purpose is to entertain the masses and it does so very well by largely sticking to a winning formula. There are exceptions, of course - e.g. "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer ushered in a completely new era of pop music.

And I'm not just singling out pop because of its unsophisticated mass appeal - a lot of rock and indie music is very formulaic but at least on the fringes you do find a great deal of creativity. It's just that it seldom reaches a mass audience because radio stations etc. don't see it as commercial or appealing to a wider audience.
  • Options
    dawndavenportdawndavenport Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It offends by brain to see people mentioning anything by Britney or Lady Gaga in a thread about the most creative songs ever.

The one person that sticks out to me is Bjork. She always manages to use some very avante garde methods in a fairly mainstream way - Medúlla is probably the exception, being her most 'out there' release to date. Shes consistently innovating and treats her music like fine art, and thats how music SHOULD be. People like Gaga and Britney essentially have their music delivered on a silver platter. Whats the fun in that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bjork definitely has a lot of really original and creative songs. She is my favourite solo act by miles. I love it because she is very diverse but still not weird enough to be "avant guard".

Radiohead also have their fair share of really interesting and different song, but again staying listenable and not weird.

Although I cannot stand Girls Aloud, I have some weird fondness for this song. It's quite odd for a girl band in my opinion.

Definitely. Although some of her stuff is slightly weaker, on the whole she is very progressive and unique. She takes influences from all over the place and puts them in her music.

More specifically, here are some songs I think are very creative:

- Bjork - Pluto
    - Yeasayer - Ambling Alp
    - Massive Attack - Group 7
    - Siobhan Donaghy - Ghosts
    - Klaxons - Atlantis To Interzone
    - Skunk Anansie - Hedonism
    - MGMT - Kids
    - CSS - Alala
    - Radiohead - Idioteque
    - Sigur Rós - Saeglopur
    - Goldfrapp - Utopia
    - Maxim and Skin -Carmen Queasy (:D!)
    - N*E*R*D - Lapdance
    - Peaches - F**k The Pain Away
    - Grace Jones - Corporate Cannibal
    - M.I.A. - XR2
    - The Prodigy - Breathe
    - Bat For Lashes - I Saw A Light
    - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zerp
    - Patrick Wolf - Magic Position

Any many more... mainly by most of the acts I mentioned. In fact, that'd be an ideal playlist for me :) I think being creative doesn't necessarily mean being 100% original, but there needs to be some kind of progression there. I hate things which have been done to death and usually only stay loyal to acts who move on and don't make the same album 5 times.

You and I were seperated at birth! You have wonderful taste.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Four part harmony, need I say more? :D
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »

Oh hello Mr. All-Knowing music expert :rolleyes: Just because you don't like the song doesn't mean it is shite. Most pop fans, critics included, love the song for it's creativity, catchyness, and all-round brilliance. But hey, what do we know? If you say it's bad then it must be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh hello Mr. All-Knowing music expert :rolleyes: Just because you don't like the song doesn't mean it is shite. Most pop fans, critics included, love the song for it's creativity, catchyness, and all-round brilliance. But hey, what do we know? If you say it's bad then it must be.

I think that really only applies within the GA/gay guy bubble. Im a lover of pop in all its forms and agree that its absolutely awful. Certainly not worthy of being anywhere near the likes of Bjork, The Knife, Kate Bush, Bowie etc.

Its a quirky throwaway pop song by a vastly over-rated 'band'.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that really only applies within the GA/gay guy bubble. Im a lover of pop in all its forms and agree that its absolutely awful. Certainly not worthy of being anywhere near the likes of Bjork, The Knife, Kate Bush, Bowie etc.

Its a quirky throwaway pop song by a vastly over-rated 'band'.

How are they 'overrated'? People just use that term when they dislike an artist who happens to be popular with critics. Also, Girls Aloud are a pop band, so why compare them to other artists who are nothing like them? I think it's just snobbery by people who think they aren't 'credible' just because they are a manufactured pop group, ignoring the actual music.

I'm not saying everyone should love Biology, but if GA happened to write and produce their own songs, the 'real music' lovers would love them. Yet if someone dared to criticise any of the 'credible' artists such as the ones you mentioned, we'd probably get shouted down as an idiot who knows nothing about music.

Oh and big thumbs-up for stereotyping GA fans. Well done you.
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with Kutox.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tons of ABBA's stuff from SOS onwards is genuine musical genius, technically intricate and advanced, and sounding ahead of its time compared with what else was in the charts. There's too many to list but some of their more complex/creative singles include SOS, Dancing Queen, Name Of The Game, and Take A Chance On Me. All brilliant pop songs.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about ABBA, for a 'pop' band they were very creative, key changes and tempo shifts all over the place. :)
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queens most known song, Bohemian Rhapsody, is very creative in my opinion. It's an awesome song... more like 3 song is one.

Most def. Prophet's Song is worthy of the same praise as well although it is often overlooked being from the same album as BR