People who use 'being drunk' as an excuse

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
Forum Member
I read a story earlier about a student who fried a hamster when drunk and blamed the alcohol. This got me thinking of all the times that you read in the news when people blame alcohol for acts that are completely 'out of character' like fighting, domestic abuse, theft or even murder.

Even a couple of my friends who are ordinarily calm laid back people have started fights in the past when on a night out when drunk (for no apparent reason). I also know a normal level headed girl who can't have a night out without ending up crying for some irrational reason and going mad if she doesn't get everyone's attention.

Now this type of behaviour I can't understand. I mean I've drunk a lot in the past but no matter how bad I've got its never changed my personality or behaviour drastically.

Just wondering what people think. Do you know someone who is a completely different person when drunk? Is alcohol just an excuse or does it bring out people's true personality?

Comments

• AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I don't really get the idea of someone being a "nasty drunk". Drink doesn't make you anything that you aren't already, it just removes the inhibitions.

And I really wish courts wouldn't take it as a defence either (which they sometimes do).
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't know really My Dad was very violent when drunk but I never saw him sober enough to know if that was his real personality
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who gets drunk knowing that they are liable to do things they wouldn't otherwise may be taken to have accepted responsibility for the consequences of all their actions.

Perhaps someone getting drunk for the first time and doing something wrong could argue, morally, that it was only the drink that made him do it. But as soon as he chooses to get drunk again, that excuse is no longer available. He knew from his first experience of being drunk that alcohol made him do things he wouldn't otherwise have done. He chose to take that risk again by getting drunk again, he should accept he is fully responsible.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I read a story earlier about a student who fried a hamster when drunk and blamed the alcohol.

Well, it is highly flammable. If the hamster is that inebriated, it is a risk.
  • SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i read the local rag, often some oik has been up before the magistrate, and in his defence offers "i had drunk alot". I always think....er so what? in no way does it diminish your responsibility. In fact it should serve as additional criteria with which to condemn you. If you have drunk yourself stupid (one offence) and then committed whatever of the various other offences; Double crime, double time in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always use being drunk as an excuse, not for fighting or killing animals but for other bad behaviour. :)
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alcohol is a depressant, so I'm sometimes sympathetic with those who turn into cry babies.

I think it just depends on the person. It can lower inhibitions and reveal the "real you" or completely change your personality.
    It's rather annoying when people use it as a defence.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might not be a good excuse, but it is a reason.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done plenty of stuff when drunk that I've later regretted, but blaming the booze is a cop-out. It doesn't tend to have much effect unless you make a point of drinking it. If you get drunk and act like an asshole, then it's still your fault for getting drunk and acting like an asshole.

Getting drunk and NOT acting like an asshole is a wonderful thing, and it's a skill everyone should master if they want to be able to drink in public. There should be classes and stuff.
  • Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    Alcohol is a depressant, so I'm sometimes sympathetic with those who turn into cry babies.

I think it just depends on the person. It can lower inhibitions and reveal the "real you" or completely change your personality.
    It's rather annoying when people use it as a defence.

It should never be accepted as a defence. No one shoved it down their throat - so if they choose to drink - they are responsible for the consequences.
  • Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I change in the sense I become more confident and talkative but I've never understood people becoming violent or doing things totally immoral. I am still the same person when i drink just a more confident chatty version of myself. i know people who get tearful which makes sense as alcohol is a depressant.
  • Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might not be a good excuse, but it is a reason.

Not one worth listening to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saskia44 wrote: »
    Not one worth listening to.

You won't listen to reason?

/thread
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I don't think alcohol excuses people's actions but it does influence them. I don't know how many times I have cringed while remembering what I said or done the night before while drunk or what embarrassing texts I have sent which would never of happened had I been sober. I guess it gives us courage which we would not normally have hence the saying Dutch courage.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Its not an excuse to be a tw*t. And if people are a tw*t when they drink, then they shouldn't drink so much in the first place.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who get drunk regularly are not well and therefore they are going to use it as an 'excuse.' But it is an illness that is combined with poor self discipline.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read a story earlier about a student who fried a hamster when drunk and blamed the alcohol. This got me thinking of all the times that you read in the news when people blame alcohol for acts that are completely 'out of character' like fighting, domestic abuse, theft or even murder.

Even a couple of my friends who are ordinarily calm laid back people have started fights in the past when on a night out when drunk (for no apparent reason). I also know a normal level headed girl who can't have a night out without ending up crying for some irrational reason and going mad if she doesn't get everyone's attention.

Now this type of behaviour I can't understand. I mean I've drunk a lot in the past but no matter how bad I've got its never changed my personality or behaviour drastically.

Just wondering what people think. Do you know someone who is a completely different person when drunk? Is alcohol just an excuse or does it bring out people's true personality?

Anyone who "fried" a hamster, drunk of sober is a bit unstable.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Anyone who "fried" a hamster, drunk of sober is a bit unstable.

100%, how sick must that person be, drunk/sober. Make's no difference in that particular case.

Although i do feel at times "being drunk" is a valid excuse for certain silly behaviour!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    100%, how sick must that person be, drunk/sober. Make's no difference in that particular case.

Although i do feel at times "being drunk" is a valid excuse for certain silly behaviour!

Silly is ok. Gratuitous cruelty is .....gratuitous cruelty. Drunk or sober.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Silly is ok. Gratuitous cruelty is .....gratuitous cruelty. Drunk or sober.

I agree totally.
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some people just can't let they're anger out unless they are drunk. that's what it is. they are very angry, keep it inside and when they drink it all comes out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcohol would not make you fry an animal... being a first class bastard would. The alcohol would just make you less able to hide the fact you are a first class bastard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    People who get drunk regularly are not well and therefore they are going to use it as an 'excuse.' But it is an illness that is combined with poor self discipline.

^ This sums it up quite well.

If someone's behaviour starts being excused by 'being drunk' then they need to question why they are drinking that amount. But people don't just choose to be drunks. And there is ALWAYS an underlining issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some people just can't let they're anger out unless they are drunk. that's what it is. they are very angry, keep it inside and when they drink it all comes out.

Against a hamster?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When i get 'wrecked' i just start crying, ringing family at like 3am telling them how much i love them etc... I'm a soppy drunk!

A mate of mine put his bank card in the ATM the wrong way once (both pissed as farts) well the bank chewed the card. He launched his bottle of beer in anger and it smashed a window, he ran, i just stood there and cried. I'm a lame drunk.