Options

Anyone been to Singapore?

Rebel StimsonRebel Stimson Posts: 842
Forum Member
✭✭
Just thinking of somewhere to go next year and someone mentioned Singapore. I've never been so was wondering if any one can recommend it and if so where?

Comments

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long are you thinking about going for? 3 or 4 nights should be long enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stayed at the Fullerton, which was rather lovely.

I agree with the above poster, 3 nights is more than enough... that's all I could put up with before the humidity became too much.
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes..... and agree with the above posts...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Singapore is very easy to combine with Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia amongst other places if you want to go for a longer duration than a few nights.

Many good quality hotels in Singapore and very easy to get around.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Nasty,stifling heat. It grips you by the throat. I've been there twice and that was enough.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend visiting as part of a wider itinerary. Gets a bit stifling after 3 days, and too far to go for just that short interval.
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its too sterile. no character about it at all. its ok for a day
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Singapore is very expensive, and can be done in 2-3 days. Malaysia is right next door (you can cross the border by coach) and offers much more.

A reasonably priced place to stay in Singapore:
    http://www.hangouthotels.com/singapore/index.php?lang=en
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree with the comments already mentioned.

To be honest if you never went, you wouldn't be missing much.

Better places in the Far East to visit.
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for all other comments about 3-4 days - just right. Would definitely combine with another destination - hell of a long way to go for a few days.

Saying that, went for the F1 last year - absolutely brilliant ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    The comments are all pretty much saying the same thing so far, and I am going to agree!
    Make Singapore a section of the trip, but you can go off and try somewhere else after a few days.

The trip I did in 2010 was Kuala Lumpur for a few days, F1 race in Sepang, across to Singapore for 36hrs, then a week in Indonesia. In Singapore we did a bus tour, a boat tour, the Flyer, dinner at Clarke Quay, nighclub (Zouk), then walking around the city the next day. Obviously we didn't cover the whole city, but we felt like you could pack in quite a bit in such a short space of time.

The bus link between KL and SG was fine - you got fully reclining seats, movies, a free subway lunch, and the chance to sit back and relax. Price wasn't too expensive either.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree about the coaches from Malaysia - they are very comfortable.

Also try the famous (but very expensive) Singapore Sling at the Raffles hotel.

The Singapore night zoo is also supposed to be very good (although I did not have time to go).
  • Options
    LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My family are from Malaysia and a lot of them now live in Singapore. It's a lovely place to visit but as many posters have said, 3-4 days is plenty. Sentosa is great as are the zoos and Orchard Road is great for shopping but there's not much more to see - if you do go, I would definitely stop for Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice though!

I would definitely combine it with another trip and although I'm pretty biased, Malaysia has so much to offer and it's so varied and interesting. Last time we were there we went to an awesome elephant sanctuary in the middle of the rainforest!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    How long are you thinking about going for? 3 or 4 nights should be long enough.

3 to 4 nights was the plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nasty,stifling heat. It grips you by the throat. I've been there twice and that was enough.
    Is the heat really that bad?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree with the comments already mentioned.

To be honest if you never went, you wouldn't be missing much.

Better places in the Far East to visit.

Like where?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Euan1234 wrote: »
    The comments are all pretty much saying the same thing so far, and I am going to agree!
    Make Singapore a section of the trip, but you can go off and try somewhere else after a few days.

The trip I did in 2010 was Kuala Lumpur for a few days, F1 race in Sepang, across to Singapore for 36hrs, then a week in Indonesia. In Singapore we did a bus tour, a boat tour, the Flyer, dinner at Clarke Quay, nighclub (Zouk), then walking around the city the next day. Obviously we didn't cover the whole city, but we felt like you could pack in quite a bit in such a short space of time.

The bus link between KL and SG was fine - you got fully reclining seats, movies, a free subway lunch, and the chance to sit back and relax. Price wasn't too expensive either.

Thanks for the fantastic advice.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I personally didn't find the heat that bad at all. I was there for 3 weeks and loved it. Would love to go back.

I flew to Kuala Lumpar in Malaysia and spent a week in both KL and Penang Island then got plane from KL to Singapore.

Felt very safe in Sing and it's very clean and everything is mega efficient. I went over Christmas so it was all very pretty. Particularly loved it after dark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like where?

Depends what you like to do and when are you thinking of visiting?

Besides the hot, humid weather, Singapore could be just anywhere in the world, nothing really special about the place.

But you can combine it with Vietnam & Cambodia (if you want a bit more adventure), or Thailand where you can visit Bangkok, Bridge over the River Kwai, the Hill Tribes in the North, and a good beach stay on one of the Thai Islands.

Malaysia, you can take in KL, the Cameron Highlands, Beaches, or visit Borneo to see the Orangutan's.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But you can combine it with Vietnam & Cambodia (if you want a bit more adventure), or Thailand where you can visit Bangkok, Bridge over the River Kwai, the Hill Tribes in the North, and a good beach stay on one of the Thai Islands.

Malaysia, you can take in KL, the Cameron Highlands, Beaches, or visit Borneo to see the Orangutan's.

Have to agree. I enjoyed Singapore, but it's almost a missed opportunity to go all that way and just visit Sing.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

I have been to Singapore loads of times - it really doesn't bother me and everywhere is air conditioned anyway.

Its very clean safe and civilised, has the worlds best airport (and arguably best airline), has guaranteed weather (i.e. the same daily), a good metro system to get around and good shopping/nightlife. Also lots of museums and historical venues linked to world war two to visit - if you are into that sort of thing.

I would recommend it as a good break - particularly to escape the UK winter. And fly Singapore airlines if you can - they serve Singapore slings for free!
  • Options
    ErtanaErtana Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    I just spent two weeks in Singapore and enjoyed every minute. You will be able to pack a ton into 3 or 4 days. Yes, Singapore is very hot and the humidity is stifling, but everything is air-conditioned.

I loved the contrast between crazy modern, futuristic Singapore and ‘old Singapore’. Sitting on the steps of the boardwalk at Marina bay looking up at the city at night is surreal. Feels like you are in a sci-fi movie. They put on a free laser/light/water show every night too.

Chinatown and Little India are a must and they feel almost like the real thing. Also check out the area around Haji Lane and Arab Street.

Getting around is easy. The MRT (metro/underground) is very cheap. Buy an ezlink travel card. Or taxi everywhere, there are hundreds of them and cheap. If you don’t struggle with the heat then walk… everything is quite close.

I’m actually not much of a shopper, but Singapore is clearly a shoppers dream. For bargains etc Bugis Street, Mustafa’s in Little India or Chinatown markets…..
    SimLim Tower is five floors of gadgets, anything electronic, technical, e.g. phones, laptops etc. For my husband, five floors of heaven open 24/7. Be wary of the SimLim rip off merchants though.
    If you are after smart branded goods and clothes, then head to Orchard Road. There are endless malls with every shop imaginable. Ion is the newest and smartest mall. Marina Bay mall actually has a ‘river’ running through it on which you can hire a boat. .
    Everything stays open very late and sometimes throughout the night. Going shopping, eating or watching a movie at 3am is an experience.

Indulge in a cheap daily massage.

Some 'touristy' things to do:

Gardens by the Bay – Go to the green houses in the afternoon and then stay for the sunset and another light/laser show. Do the skywalk between the giant ‘trees’. One of the greenhouses has a spectacular, massive indoor waterfall.

The Singapore Flyer, quite a lot bigger than the London Eye, gives you great views over the city.

Sentosa Island – The beach area is where you can ride a Segway or have fun riding on a luge. Watch a laser/water/light show on the beach. Or just relax with a cocktail.
    Sentosa Universal Studios – Transformer ride is the best ride I’ve ever been on.

Singapore zoo and Night Safari at the Zoo

Marina Bay Sands – the ‘boat’ balanced on top of the buildings. Crazy! Watch the nightly laser shows from there.

Clarke Quay, Robertson Quay… all the various Quay’s along the river have something to offer. Hundreds of bars and restaurants.

There are lots of museums and cultural things to do as well. Many temples, Mosques etc to visit.

Singapore is one of the safest places to travel in the world. There are many different cultures so many different foods to enjoy. For a tiny country, Singapore has a lot to offer. Enjoy!
  • Options
    AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Its not so much the heat as the humidity, been there a couple of times and I always say "you move you sweat".
    Be prepared to drink a lot of water, that is a must, I like it there and just love having tea at Raffles hotel, that is a must. :D
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Thats how I felt. I didn't like Singapore.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The humidity is bad but imo better than Hong Kong and its much cleaner (and safer?).

A Singapore sling at Raffles is a must of course but I loved the zoo - you can have breakfast with Orangutans.

I think its a great stopover with some fabulous hotels but I'm not sure its a destination in itself.