Options

Doctor Who: Flatline - 18/10/2014 (BBC One/HD-8:25pm) Thread

Kane_SmithKane_Smith Posts: 159
Forum Member
Flatline After Clara stormed off two episodes ago, viewers might have wondered if they would ever see her again. However, one thing it proved is that here is a companion who is quite willing to speak her mind and is more than capable of going it alone. And sure enough, here she is, separated from the Doctor and facing a menace from another dimension, an enemy that exists beyond human perception. She has people to save - but how is it possible to hide when the walls provide no protection? Jenna Coleman and Peter Capaldi star, with appearances from Christopher Fairbank (Auf Wiedersehen, Pet) and former Casualty actor Matt Bardock (paramedic Jeff) :D

Sounds like menacing Episode ahead, and small Tardis exterior? i'm quite looking forward to this to be honest :)

Also, apologize for starting the thread a little early but, I want other people's discussions about this episode, with theories and such :D

how would you rate the episode 452 votes

Excellent
58% 266 votes
very good
23% 105 votes
Good
12% 56 votes
Poor
3% 18 votes
Bad
1% 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm starting this particular episode thread a bit early, as I find the latest teaser trailer rather intriguing, as Clara
    utters The Doctor's famous introduction, "I'm The Doctor" while brandishing that ruddy sonic screwdriver.

From the trailer:

Clara: "I'm The Doctor"
    The Doctor: "Don't you dare!"
    Clara: "But you can call me Clara!"

Official synopsis:

"Separated from the Doctor, Clara discovers a new menace from another dimension. But how
    do you hide when even the walls are no protection? With people to save and the Doctor
    trapped, Clara goes against an enemy that exists beyond human perception."
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still not entirely sure what this episode is about. From what I do know it sounds alright though. Cant see it being as good as last weeks, but still, excited as I am every week :)
  • Options
    UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'm looking forward to the railway scenes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    I'm still not entirely sure what this episode is about. From what I do know it sounds alright though. Cant see it being as good as last weeks, but still, excited as I am every week :)

Last weeks was pretty darn good, i'm still wondering who "GUS" is... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I beat you too it sorry man
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kane_Smith wrote: »
    Last weeks was pretty darn good, i'm still wondering who "GUS" is... :o

Related to the woman in the shop that gave Clara the TARDIS phone number I think. Other than that I'm completely stumped. I try not to get into speculation, my ideas are always crap and other people's are sometimes a bit outlandish and odd haha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    Related to the woman in the shop that gave Clara the TARDIS phone number I think. Other than that I'm completely stumped. I try not to get into speculation, my ideas are always crap and other people's are sometimes a bit outlandish and odd haha.

I get the impression that this woman could be Tasha Lem? but then again she was killed by the Daleks in TOTD, however herself seems to be a being that can never die like Jack Harkness? Maybe she's a woman from Khan? i'm not entirely sure myself, shame that we only get 12 episodes this season but the only thing that has made up for it is that it's not been split into two. That was a real let down for the last 2-3ish years with Smith's Era
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By 4 minutes! You posted while I was still finishing the OP! There's me thinking I was a bit early with this!
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    By 4 minutes! You posted while I was still finishing the OP! There's me thinking I was a bit early with this!

we must had the same idea haha :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the impression that this woman could be Tasha Lem? but then again she was killed by the Daleks in TOTD, however herself seems to be a being that can never die like Jack Harkness? Maybe she's a woman from Khan? i'm not entirely sure myself, shame that we only get 12 episodes this season but the only thing that has made up for it is that it's not been split into two. That was a real let down for the last 2-3ish years with Smith's Era

Agreed. It made it really fragmented and as a result barely made any sense.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol duped thread:D
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    I really hope it's the doctor that saves the day and not Clara.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    I really hope it's the doctor that saves the day and not Clara.

What you mean like he did in the last episode? And in Deep Breath? And in Robots of Sherwood and like he did (along with Danny) in The Caretaker? In fact where are all these episodes where Clara saves the day? And why is it a problem now but wasn't when Rose and Donna pretty much saved the universe on a weekly basis?

The truth is Moffat does put the companions story front and center. But unlike RTD he usually ensures its the Doctor who actually masterminds the whole universe saving thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you mean like he did in the last episode? And in Deep Breath? And in Robots of Sherwood and like he did (along with Danny) in The Caretaker? In fact where are all these episodes where Clara saves the day? And why is it a problem now but wasn't when Rose and Donna pretty much saved the universe on a weekly basis?

The truth is Moffat does put the companions story front and center. But unlike RTD he usually ensures its the Doctor who actually masterminds the whole universe saving thing.

It's like these complaits come on a template and it's just 'insert name here'. Incredible.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Um, is this the right thread? ;-)

This looks interesting. Is Banksy an alien? Looks a bit Sapphire and Steel. (love that show.) Then again, last time I thought that, we got Fear Her. Trust this is a bit better!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Lol duped thread:D
    By 4 minutes! Anyway, might as well keep them both, and whichever gets the most replies between now
    and Saturday can be the one that gets pinned to the top of the DW forum and has the usual poll added.

Assuming the mods don't merge them in the meantime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By 4 minutes! Anyway, might as well keep them both, and whichever gets the most replies between now
    and Saturday can be the one that gets pinned to the top of the DW forum and has the usual poll added.

Assuming the mods don't merge them in the meantime.

I would have the mods merge them like with Robots of Sherwood a few weeks ago.

Edit: I have alerted the mods they should soon merge them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Merging threads will make the discussion on the first page not make any sense hahaha. But whey! I'm OP ;) haha
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    What irks me is that this appears to be a Clara-heavy episode just a week after an episode that so many people enjoyed partly because Capaldi featured so strongly! I don't want to see Clara running about while the Doctor's trapped in the TARDIS. Why can't SHE be in the TARDIS?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What irks me is that this appears to be a Clara-heavy episode just a week after an episode that so many people enjoyed partly because Capaldi featured so strongly! I don't want to see Clara running about while the Doctor's trapped in the TARDIS. Why can't SHE be in the TARDIS?

Clara being trapped has already been done, remember 'Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Merging threads will make the discussion on the first page not make any sense hahaha. But whey! I'm OP ;) haha

I dont think it will matter, come Saturday this thread will have so many replies that no one will remember or even be bothered to look at that bit!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The trick is get a title in place and get at least 1 5 letter word or 2 two letter words:D, then post and then edit to have it say what you want!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flatline After Clara stormed off two episodes ago, viewers might have wondered if they would ever see her again. However, one thing it proved is that here is a companion who is quite willing to speak her mind and is more than capable of going it alone. And sure enough, here she is, separated from the Doctor and facing a menace from another dimension, an enemy that exists beyond human perception. She has people to save - but how is it possible to hide when the walls provide no protection? Jenna Coleman and Peter Capaldi star, with appearances from Christopher Fairbank (Auf Wiedersehen, Pet) and former Casualty actor Matt Bardock (paramedic Jeff) :D

Sounds like menacing Episode ahead, and small Tardis exterior? i'm quite looking forward to this to be honest :)

Also, apologize for starting the thread a little early but, I want other people's discussions about this episode, with theories and such :D
    I'm starting this particular episode thread a bit early, as I find the latest teaser trailer rather intriguing, as Clara
    utters The Doctor's famous introduction, "I'm The Doctor" while brandishing that ruddy sonic screwdriver.

From the trailer:

Clara: "I'm The Doctor"
    The Doctor: "Don't you dare!"
    Clara: "But you can call me Clara!"

Official synopsis:

"Separated from the Doctor, Clara discovers a new menace from another dimension. But how
    do you hide when even the walls are no protection? With people to save and the Doctor
    trapped, Clara goes against an enemy that exists beyond human perception."

This may not be written by Moffat, but it sure sounds like a Moffat special! :D Just my sort of thing!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Clara being trapped has already been done, remember 'Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS'?

Pity she ever found her way out!

Either way, the teaser scene looks really good! :) *spoilers* (Looks like Capaldi is on terrific form again).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BjB5XduL58

And the early previews have been largely positive too. I think it's going to be another hit!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Chris Fairbank was in a seriously spooky SciFi from the 90's called Invasion.Earth which only had one series unfortunately.