Options

An idiot's guide to politics and government

EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
Forum Member
✭✭
I work for quite a large organisation and have just been transferred to the department that, amongst other things, is responsible for political lobbying.

While it doesn't have an impact on my job, I feel woefully ignorant as I have never taken a major interest in public affairs, beyond keeping up with the news. To get the most out of this new team, I wonder if there are any books that people could recommend that could help get me up to speed. I think I probably need an overview of UK and European politics, government and policy. There are an awful lot of publications out there and I don't want to pick anything that's too dumbed down but equally know that I'll struggle to stay interested in anything deeply technical. So probably A'level, first year degree level.

Thanks very much for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Very Short Introduction series published by OUP is usually exceptionally good for more or less everything.

Their Very Short Introduction to Politics by Kenneth Minogue is a concise, broad ranging and stimulating book. But I havent read the British Politics volume which I am surprised to see was actually written by the MP Tony Wright.
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't 'a guide to idiot politics and government' have been a better title for this? :D

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    For the academic intro.
    http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fass/ppr/politics/undergraduate/courses/poli213.htm
    Intro reading list at bottom is pretty self explanatory from book titles.
    Course was good 35 years ago and still is.......

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2011/government/overview_and_features.aspx - list at the bottom of the page Minogue and Birch might be worth a look.

Politics courses are about being able to think in a political way which is why most courses lay out the theory but then look at real historical problems and how people acted so people can develop the ability to understand the process and calculations.

What you are looking at once you have got into the mindset a bit is some more specific literature on UK and European politics.

If you look on amazon you find things like
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_27?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lobbying+the+european+union&sprefix=lobbying+the+european+union

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_27?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lobbying+the+european+union&sprefix=lobbying+the+european+union#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lobbying+in+uk+politics&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alobbying+in+uk+politics
  • Options
    1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for quite a large organisation and have just been transferred to the department that, amongst other things, is responsible for political lobbying.

While it doesn't have an impact on my job, I feel woefully ignorant as I have never taken a major interest in public affairs, beyond keeping up with the news. To get the most out of this new team, I wonder if there are any books that people could recommend that could help get me up to speed. I think I probably need an overview of UK and European politics, government and policy. There are an awful lot of publications out there and I don't want to pick anything that's too dumbed down but equally know that I'll struggle to stay interested in anything deeply technical. So probably A'level, first year degree level.

Thanks very much for any advice.

That single phrase, implies to me, that you are actually a manager in this new department.

If so, it proves to me, that the private sector is no better than the public sector when it comes to management.

I used to work for a "blue chip" company that were into legal and general areas (if you get my drift). I was adamant that we could sack half the staff and get the same amount of work done.

I've never believed this idea that private sector is efficient and the public sector is inefficient. It seems to me, that it is all down to size and proximity to your market.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me, that it is all down to size and proximity to your market.

There is a lot of truth in that - which probably explains why the NHS, being the biggest employer inthe Western world, is pretty inefficient.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose it's not just in politics where people get transferred to departments in which they have no experience...

May I suggest British Politics for Dummies, http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Politics-Dummies-Julian-Knight/dp/0470686375/

Also, just open yourself to the politics which are out there on TV, radio and in the newspapers.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any would-be journalists honestly need to stop taking notes from this thread....
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    There is a lot of truth in that - which probably explains why the NHS, being the biggest employer inthe Western world, is pretty inefficient.

Are you recommending the break up of multi-national companies too?
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are an awful lot of publications out there and I don't want to pick anything that's too dumbed down but equally know that I'll struggle to stay interested in anything deeply technical. So probably A'level, first year degree level.

Don't forget basic sales and marketing texts, and the news. If you're lobbying, then all you're doing is attempting to sell your product/policy to your customer, ie the government, directly or indirectly. Usual sales rules apply, so know your decision makers and influencers. The politics comes in when there are procurement rules or other policy rules wrt to lobbying that you need to be aware of to avoid becoming news yourself.

One of the best guides though is still probably to get yourself a set of Yes Minister. The politicians often aren't the decision makers, can be the influencers and are generally transient. Your job would be to help them solve problems (even if you've sold them those problems first) and make them look good.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Don't forget basic sales and marketing texts, and the news. If you're lobbying, then all you're doing is attempting to sell your product/policy to your customer, ie the government, directly or indirectly. Usual sales rules apply, so know your decision makers and influencers. The politics comes in when there are procurement rules or other policy rules wrt to lobbying that you need to be aware of to avoid becoming news yourself.

One of the best guides though is still probably to get yourself a set of Yes Minister. The politicians often aren't the decision makers, can be the influencers and are generally transient. Your job would be to help them solve problems (even if you've sold them those problems first) and make them look good.

Yes Minister is like a test. If you understand everything Sir Humphrey says, and why,you have mastered the mindset......
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want an idiots guide to politics Brown, Blair and Mandelson have all had autobiographies out lately.....:D