Windows8: Avira 'fesses up: Our software isn't compatible with Windows 8

user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
Forum Member
✭✭
Freebie anti-virus firm Avira has admitted its security software is not compatible with either Windows 8 or Windows 12 Server.

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/06/avira_win8_snafu/

Comments

• DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avira is not the only one that is not compatible with Windows 8. The only that I can find that is, is AVG and I won't touch that with a barg pole.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avira is not the only one that is not compatible with Windows 8. The only that I can find that is, is AVG and I won't touch that with a barg pole.

Panda Cloud AV has been compatible for ages, I use it with no problems :)
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »

MS don't seem to care about security or people having to buy new software that works with their latest pointless change . I am told the new W8 IE10 combination isn't compatible with Norton 360's Norton safe search system either - so its not only the smaller or free providers being hit. It looks like they just want to create as much of a monopoly as possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MS don't seem to care about security or people having to buy new software that works with their latest pointless change . I am told the new W8 IE10 combination isn't compatible with Norton 360's Norton safe search system either - so its not only the smaller or free providers being hit. It looks like they just want to create as much of a monopoly as possible.

Windows 8 will use Windows Defender (MSE on earlier versions of windows) if you have no 3rd party AV software installed, so your statement is a bit wrong :(
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    Windows 8 will use Windows Defender (MSE on earlier versions of windows) if you have no 3rd party AV software installed, so your statement is a bit wrong :(

Not really. They want you to use their anti-virus and are making it more difficult for everyone else. That doesn't mean theirs is as good, or that it does as much, or indeed its any good at all. it just stops people who would prefer to use what they have already bought and pad for and have spare licenses for . The big question is why have they are trying to make people more dependant on their own products and their own apps store. I doubt if its got much to do with whats best, or whats in the consumer's interest. It looks like another stage in the intercompany wars raging now thats have given us iphones with dumb mapping and no googlemaps, or browsers that won't work with anything that needs adobeflash.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member

Kaspersky 2012 is incompatible too - but they released Kaspersky 2013 in the nick of time and that is fully compatible with Windows 8, with some useful enhancements too. When I first downloaded the Windows 8 RTM from technet, Kaspersky 2013 was still in beta and 2012 wouldn't install.

I got the impression that even Kaspersky had problems in meeting the deadline, in fact missing the initial RTM deadline, so Avira with far fewer resources must be really struggling.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new OS usually breaks programmes like AV, because they are too close to the OS. It's up to the SW companies to adjust. That's why there are previews of the OS available, so that SW developers can test and modify their products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. They want you to use their anti-virus and are making it more difficult for everyone else.

Software developers have had plenty of time to update their software to be compatible with Windows 8, it's not like MS sprung Win8 on people out of the blue :eek:
    Forum Member
    Software developers have had plenty of time to update their software to be compatible with Windows 8, it's not like MS sprung Win8 on people out of the blue :eek:

I suspect that MS made significant 'under the bonnet' changes to W8 late on, which would explain why even the biggest internet security companies struggled.
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you seriously suggesting that MS should design and produce its latest OS to suit 3rd party suppliers of anti-virus software?

MS have produced what they consider to be a safe secure system and included an anti-virus solution free of charge.

It is up to the 3rd party AV suppliers to keep up. They have had plenty of time to ensure compatibility.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    A nice easy round up of Windows 8 new security features over windows 7

http://www.howtogeek.com/128182/6-ways-windows-8-is-more-secure-than-windows-7/
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you click on the 'store' icon, then scroll along to the section under 'security' you will 51 apps.. for free or purchase
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. They want you to use their anti-virus and are making it more difficult for everyone else. That doesn't mean theirs is as good, or that it does as much, or indeed its any good at all. it just stops people who would prefer to use what they have already bought and pad for and have spare licenses for . The big question is why have they are trying to make people more dependant on their own products and their own apps store. I doubt if its got much to do with whats best, or whats in the consumer's interest. It looks like another stage in the intercompany wars raging now thats have given us iphones with dumb mapping and no googlemaps, or browsers that won't work with anything that needs adobeflash.

What you see as MS making it difficult for third-party anti-virus maker others may see as MS locking down security, a consequence of which is stopping anti-virus apps from working like they used to. The article mentions that MS are working closely with Avira so it's not as if they're totally against these third-party companies like you suggest.
    Forum Member
    Alan F wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that MS should design and produce its latest OS to suit 3rd party suppliers of anti-virus software?

No.
    Alan F wrote: »
    MS have produced what they consider to be a safe secure system and included an anti-virus solution free of charge.

It is up to the 3rd party AV suppliers to keep up. They have had plenty of time to ensure compatibility.

Mine did keep up so I will stick with them. If they hadn't, I might have changed.

Market forces. :cool:
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW! Isn't Windows Fisher Price getting off to a great start! :D
    Forum Member

That's a good one, Windows FP! :D
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are a few generations old. That was the name people used to call Windows XP.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    if you click on the 'store' icon, then scroll along to the section under 'security' you will 51 apps.. for free or purchase

For those who don't have W8 and are considering it there's a list here of compatible security products (last updated 26/10/2012)
    http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    You are a few generations old. That was the name people used to call Windows XP.

Windows FP II (Batteries Not Included*)

*Or Start Button or easy access desktop or anything actually needed in daily computing outside of the playground or yuppy internet cafe.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Fisher Price, Duplo gags are getting really old now :yawn:

The Avira problem is 100% their fault, not Microsoft. They would have had access to the released code very early on.

Antivirus software is always a problem for early adopters of a new OS.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows FP II (Batteries Not Included*)

*Or Start Button or easy access desktop or anything actually needed in daily computing outside of the playground or yuppy internet cafe.

I'm sure Microsoft would be happy if it was the second coming of Windows XP.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    What you see as MS making it difficult for third-party anti-virus maker others may see as MS locking down security, a consequence of which is stopping anti-virus apps from working like they used to. The article mentions that MS are working closely with Avira so it's not as if they're totally against these third-party companies like you suggest.
    IvanIV wrote: »
    The new OS usually breaks programmes like AV, because they are too close to the OS. It's up to the SW companies to adjust. That's why there are previews of the OS available, so that SW developers can test and modify their products.

Quite

This has always been the case with Windows releases.

You can't use old Anti Virus software on it.

I doubt Symantec or McAfee cry about everyone that upgrades having to buy the new version of their software.