BBC Cuts hit Dr Who on it's 50th Birthday.

tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We had 2012 season of our BBC Dr Who late into the year and was only 5 shows plus normal Xmas extra and now the BBC has put out news that 8 shows filmed 2012 will start at Easter and with that for the 50th year we are to have extra show in November, so in real that means the BBC has cut the show for a year as I and many people feel a season of a show is 16 or more..
As USA have seasons of around 24 per year of shows on all networks but for BBC America....
This is sad we are getting part 2 of 2012 season and not a full season for 2013 is it that the Bosses at our BBC is about cut the show next year ?????:(
The Show is part of the nation and society, with it shown all over the World and has been moved around to fit into the USA season to keep the cash coming in items sold by BBC World Wide Ltd.

We are now in the UK linked from BBC One to BBC America as the show is shown at the same day....

Royal Mail is to put out stamps of all the actors that have played the Dr on the BBC for 50th.

In real life the Show was off air for a number years in the 50, due to bad managers that moved the show all over the place in past, which lowered the numbers of viewers and also some real bad writing too.
YET the return as been great for the BBC and even had break off show for CBBC....

I feel BBC should film more then one show for November and even give us two shows for Christmas .....

Cutting does not save money at the BBC as it only cuts in selling shows to other places around the world and items from the show like DVD's, books, T shirts and other items.
Also cutting shows & seasons only make cost go up as it means that new filming contacts costs go up and means any back office staff costs are higher as no money is made from selling shows and goods around the world.
HAPPY brithday Dr Who:cool: .. Just sad that BBC is using part of 2012 season to fill the year......:(

Comments

• AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is quite bizarre that they feel the need to apply cuts to a show that actually makes a profit.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't we just enjoy what we've got? ;)

No one ever denied the Private Eye story that there were huge budget and filming schedule over runs on Doctor Who (well apart from "feeble attempts at spin" according to Ian Hislop), I doubt series 6 was split because anyone wanted it split.

Actually, I'm being serious about enjoying what we got. You may as well see the glass as being half full, because there is no way of changing anything.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    We had 2012 season of our BBC Dr Who late into the year and was only 5 shows plus normal Xmas extra and now the BBC has put out news that 8 shows filmed 2012 will start at Easter and with that for the 50th year we are to have extra show in November, so in real that means the BBC has cut the show for a year as I and many people feel a season of a show is 16 or more..
    As USA have seasons of around 24 per year of shows on all networks but for BBC America....
    This is sad we are getting part 2 of 2012 season and not a full season for 2013 is it that the Bosses at our BBC is about cut the show next year ?????:(
    The Show is part of the nation and society, with it shown all over the World and has been moved around to fit into the USA season to keep the cash coming in items sold by BBC World Wide Ltd.

We are now in the UK linked from BBC One to BBC America as the show is shown at the same day....

Royal Mail is to put out stamps of all the actors that have played the Dr on the BBC for 50th.

In real life the Show was off air for a number years in the 50, due to bad managers that moved the show all over the place in past, which lowered the numbers of viewers and also some real bad writing too.
    YET the return as been great for the BBC and even had break off show for CBBC....

I feel BBC should film more then one show for November and even give us two shows for Christmas .....

Cutting does not save money at the BBC as it only cuts in selling shows to other places around the world and items from the show like DVD's, books, T shirts and other items.
    Also cutting shows & seasons only make cost go up as it means that new filming contacts costs go up and means any back office staff costs are higher as no money is made from selling shows and goods around the world.
    HAPPY brithday Dr Who:cool: .. Just sad that BBC is using part of 2012 season to fill the year......:(
    So, despite that long, long post, there is no actual official confirmation of any such cuts for the 50th anniversary. just opinion and speculation.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...... I and many people feel a season of a show is 16 or more..
    (

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who#Episodes

"Doctor Who originally ran for 26 seasons on BBC One, from 23 November 1963 until 6 December 1989. During the original run, each weekly episode formed part of a story (or "serial") — usually of four to six parts in earlier years and three to four in later years"
    "The serial format changed for the 2005 revival, with each series usually consisting of 13 45-minute, self-contained episodes (60 minutes with adverts, on overseas commercial channels), and an extended episode broadcast on Christmas Day"

In the US a 'season' on some shows is now usually 22 episodes and that norrmally includes a 'hiatus' of 4 - 6 weeks during December/January.
    Programmess such as Dexter are 12 episodes per season, Game of Thrones is 10,The Tudors was 10 or 8 episodes and many more examples
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quality over Quantity, imo
    Just wish the BBC (in the UK) would get the message with TV an cut down channels (broadcast hours) and give us better programmes and less repeats.
    Hand on hearts. do all 26 episodes in a season of some American shows feel that good?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The standard broadcast television season in the United States is 22 episodes per season; sitcoms may have 24 or more; animated programs may have more (or fewer) episodes; cable networks with original programming seem to have settled on about 10 or 12 episodes per season, much in line with British television programming.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casualty and Holby City seem to be the only programmes, wih a really extended series.

Casualty is 48 epsiodes a year i think, While Holby City, is a rolling program, 52 episodes.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    sorry OP but making reference to US broadcasts is irrelevant to be honest. Since the revival in 2005 Doctor Who has been 13 episodes plus one Christmas special (not sure where you got 16 from)

The Private Eye story already stated that effectively the show was being cut in half last year and this. Which is where BBC spin (as mentioned above) came in to state that the series was full length, but spread over two years
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry OP but making reference to US broadcasts is irrelevant to be honest. Since the revival in 2005 Doctor Who has been 13 episodes plus one Christmas special (not sure where you got 16 from)

The Private Eye story already stated that effectively the show was being cut in half last year and this. Which is where BBC spin (as mentioned above) came in to state that the series was full length, but spread over two years

Yeah, "full length, but spread over two years" is cut in half no matter what you try to call it. If your boss said he was going to pay you the same monthly salary but only pay you every other month you'd call that a pay cut.

As to whether that makes the rest of the Private Eye story accurate, the reason behind the cut, who knows...
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who should have been axed after Eccleston and Piper left. Apart from the first one, the Christmas specials are awful at best too!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Doctor Who should have been axed after Eccleston and Piper left. Apart from the first one, the Christmas specials are awful at best too!!

Well, you don't need to watch along with the 7 or 8 million who still do (and continue to enjoy it no doubt). You are free to watch something else entirely.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Show is part of the nation and society

Someone's got a bit carried away...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the last time BBC did a 12 or 13 episode series TBH.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It is quite bizarre that they feel the need to apply cuts to a show that actually makes a profit.

Ah but the BBC is about a breadth of television not just high rating and profit making.

I think there's more than enough Dr Who stuff around with spin offs, games etc.

We are talking about one single show, a cult one but still not that important
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quality over Quantity, imo
    Just wish the BBC (in the UK) would get the message with TV an cut down channels (broadcast hours) and give us better programmes and less repeats.
    Hand on hearts. do all 26 episodes in a season of some American shows feel that good?

Agree with this. Even the finest US shows (Buffy/X-Files/Angel/Smallville/ER) at their peak would cram in at least 4-5 stories that you would never dream of watching again unless desperate and were obviously just filler.

If anything the US is starting to follow our model a bit more by stopping the bloated 20 episode plus seasons in favour of smaller more concise runs. Look at Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead and indeed most of the popular US hits at the moment....6-13 episodes often with a series break. So DW is hardly on its own in this respect.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Whichever way you wish to look at it, we only got five episodes plus the special last year. This year we seem to be getting eight, plus the anniversary special and (hopefully) a Christmas special. To me that adds up to only half of what we have been used to in previous years. No matter how much spin the BBC put on it they have halfed the season length. I just wish they would be more honest about this and just admit " Yes we have halfed the number of episodes we are making" Fat chance of that happening though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the last time BBC did a 12 or 13 episode series TBH.

Only 2011, but split into two runs.
    Straight run, 2010 was the last full series.
  • Sir_JasperSir_Jasper Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    I personally thought it was being split to remove the burden on the Actors, did it not take up 9 months of a year of Tennants time?
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if anyone would rather read more positive news then this is a decent article from last year

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4481835/Matt-Smith-is-to-keep-playing-Doctor-Who-until-at-least-2014.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Doctor Who goes on Hiatus after the 50th anniversary year. I'm pretty sure the BBC is planning on pulling the plug again. The Problem with that organization is that they never know when they are on to a good thing. They'd rather we shut up and just watched some crap like EastEnders and be happy with that. I honestly sometimes just wish they would sell the idea out to someone else and let them do new Doctor Who.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why the BBC don't want more Dr Who. Merlin has finished now as well.
    They really are shooting themselves in the foot. It must be one of their most popular programmes.

So much for Dr Who taking over TV this year !!! :mad:
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir_Jasper wrote: »
    I personally thought it was being split to remove the burden on the Actors, did it not take up 9 months of a year of Tennants time?

Most actors are desperate for that much work
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I will pay half my license fee this year.when the BBC ask for the other half, I'll tell them they will get the full amount, just split over 2 years

I know they are supposedly publicly responsible and all that, and maybe have to officially be run not for profit. I mean, was doctor who making them too much money or something? If that was the case they can offset by reducing the license fee.

What other reasons can there be for chopping the amount of doctor who?
    Actors not available
    Writers not available
    Public not watching anymore
    Bbc bosses don't. Like show and want to manufacture an excuse to drop it.

Which is the most likely ?
    Or can anyone think of another reason?
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    zz9 wrote: »
    Yeah, "full length, but spread over two years" is cut in half no matter what you try to call it. If your boss said he was going to pay you the same monthly salary but only pay you every other month you'd call that a pay cut.
    How exactly are those situations comparable? Unless you somehow think they've signed a contract with the British public to deliver exactly 14 episodes per calendar year...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How exactly are those situations comparable? Unless you somehow think they've signed a contract with the British public to deliver exactly 14 episodes per calendar year...

Quite - neither is there any contract that states that we are entitled to one series of any drama or programme each and every year.