Do you agree with Dave Grohl?

124»

Comments

• Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tbh i cant be sure about music pre 1960 as my knowlege of it is sketchy away from the basics. i think alot of it was 'manufactured', not sure how much input acts like little richard, eddie cochran, buddy holly etc had into their material... i understand that elvis was basically a karaoke singer! lol.. well, he did have talent and a way of interpreting songs that appealled to people. but whether elvis, lr, ec bh composed their music or not, it was influencial... probably because it was new.

Before The Beatles music was different in that the singles chart was about the song and not the artist.

Record labels employed professional songwriters who would write songs for a particular artist in mind however it wasn't unusual for other artists to cover it and for two or three versions of the same song to be in the Top 30.

Bands did write their own material, Buddy Holly and The Crickets, for example, but, in general, solo singers had songs written for them. so to say Elvis and Sinatra only sang other people's songs is factually correct, but that was more to do with how music was at the time.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before The Beatles music was different in that the singles chart was about the song and not the artist.

Record labels employed professional songwriters who would write songs for a particular artist in mind however it wasn't unusual for other artists to cover it and for two or three versions of the same song to be in the Top 30.

Bands did write their own material, Buddy Holly and The Crickets, for example, but, in general, solo singers had songs written for them. so to say Elvis and Sinatra only sang other people's songs is factually correct, but that was more to do with how music was at the time.

bib.. i dont think that started with the beatles, certainly in the 60's the mood was about creating and experimenting with new music. testimonies from 60's bands on rock-docs like rock family tree (great 90's doc) show that these musicians were about making music. the whole image thing developed over time with now teenyboppers far from being ignored as insignificant little brats (as they were in the 60's 70's) now appear to dictate the charts with a succession of prettyboy boybands marketed at them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member

I genuinely think that television and televised performances were a major catalyst in this change. It made performers far more visible
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bib.. i dont think that started with the beatles, certainly in the 60's the mood was about creating and experimenting with new music. testimonies from 60's bands on rock-docs like rock family tree (great 90's doc) show that these musicians were about making music. the whole image thing developed over time with now teenyboppers far from being ignored as insignificant little brats (as they were in the 60's 70's) now appear to dictate the charts with a succession of prettyboy boybands marketed at them.

I used The Beatles because I think they were the first who had a major impact with their own material, both here and in America and that encouraged other bands to push the boundaries further on both sides of the Atlantic.

I agree this would have happened anyway but in many ways i think they were the breakthrough act who became the catalyst.