The Mercury Prize award

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I bet he's a little bit chuffed to be nominated
    Probably. Showing the young'uns that he's still got it ;).
  • dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    As long as I've been following the Mercurys, every entrant has always been present on the night.
    Burial didn't show up.
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if Bowie didn't show up. As long as I've been following the Mercurys, every entrant has always been present on the night. And that includes the big names like Robert Plant. Adele etc as well as the more obscure entrants.What's so different or special about Bowie's case?

The difference is that Bowie is all but retired from public appearances or live performance, he has been since 2006. Several people who worked on The Next Day have stated that his current interest lies solely in recording music rather than anything else. He didn't do any direct promotion on what has been one of the most successful albums of his career.

I don't see why a relatively minor, hipster yet corporately sponsored award would change this.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Yes, I would be very surprised if he shows, he's a virtual recluse nowadays, isn't he? But you can't blame the Mercurys for trying to get him there for the publicity by nominating him. They do summat like this every year (previous nominations have included Robbie Williams, Take That, Jamelia and The Darkness! :eek:)

PS The last time Bowie was nominated he lost out to Ms Dynamite :p Seriously, if you was him would you show up? :D

PPS Did he attend in 2002? Not sure whether this reply is a joke

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130606134628AA5dupj
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mercury Prize doesn't really need the publicity these days. They wouldn't focus on so many avant-garde or obscure acts were that the case. It's well known outside Britain, eg in the US even though American artists can't enter on theiir own account.

David Bowie wasn't nominated for publicity purposes. He was nominated because his album was universally praised. I don't think I came across a bad review anywhere, not that I've heard it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    But you can't blame the Mercurys for trying to get him there for the publicity by nominating him. They do summat like this every year
    Considering how well his album has been received by UK critics and people in the industry it would have been a bit weird if he wasn't on the shortlist imo. Pretty much everyone who wrote about the Mercury Prize thought he would be nominated and not for publicity reasons.
    Forum Member
    I don't doubt one of the reasons he got in was the album's quality but you only have to look at the historical pattern of nominations in this 'competition' to see plainly that they include a couple of very famous artists every year (who so rarely win) and the suspicion is surely that hey are there for publicity purposes (you've already admitted they normally, although interestingly not this year, nominate a 'token' jazz and folk act so it's not a great leap of faith to assume there are other motives at play in addition to the perceived quality of any album). I say again, it would be a major coup (and provide huge publicity) if they got Bowie to turn up and if he agreed to play live, crikey.

PS He was nominated in 2002 for 'Heathen' and that was far less warmly received by the critics ....
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I would love James Blake to win it, but probably won't happen.

I would say that James Blake is in with a shout.
    I wouldn't really mind if he doesn't win it because it doesn't really matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't doubt one of the reasons he got in was the album's quality but you only have to look at the historical pattern of nominations in this 'competition' to see plainly that they include a couple of very famous artists every year (who so rarely win) and the suspicion is surely that hey are there for publicity purposes
    Nope, that doesn't wash with me. Go and look at the list of nominees for the last 4 or 5 years and you'll see that it's not really the case at all. You can certainly make a case for any "famous" artists being there on merit.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    Shortlisted Albums:

Rudimental - Home
    Foals - Holy Fire
    Jon Hopkins - Immunity
    Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg
    Laura Mvula - Sing to the Moon
    Villagers - Awayland
    David Bowie - The Next Day
    Savages - Silence Yourself
    Disclosure - Settle
    Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle
    James Blake - Overgrown
    Arctic Monkeys - AM

Bowie and Savages get my vote for doing something interesting, Foals and the Monkeys are OK but far too mid-tempo to ignite my interest. The rest of the list is dull beyond belief.

The list could do with an injection of something with a bit more edge - F*ck Buttons "Slow Focus", for example or My Bloody Valentine "MBV".

Otherwise most interesting stuff at the moment comes from outside the UK - Deafheaven, Iceage, Deerhunter, Metz etc.
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    Nope, that doesn't wash with me. Go and look at the list of nominees for the last 4 or 5 years and you'll see that it's not really the case at all. You can certainly make a case for any "famous" artists being there on merit.

As per usual, I guess we will have to agree to disagree (although please note I've quoted your whole post to reply to, unlike you did ;))
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As per usual, I guess we will have to agree to disagree (although please note I've quoted your whole post to reply to, unlike you did ;))
    I quoted the most relevant part. I'm not disagreeing for the sake of it, I just don't see which artists from recent years have been chosen for publicity rather than for producing a decent album.
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Bowie and Savages get my vote for doing something interesting, Foals and the Monkeys are OK but far too mid-tempo to ignite my interest. The rest of the list is dull beyond belief.

The list could do with an injection of something with a bit more edge - F*ck Buttons "Slow Focus", for example or My Bloody Valentine "MBV".

Otherwise most interesting stuff at the moment comes from outside the UK - Deafheaven, Iceage, Deerhunter, Metz etc.
    For those of us who can appreciate other types of music rather than just rock, it's a pretty good list actually. 'Interesting' is not the word I'd use to describe most rock music at the moment.