Water down the back of a CRT TV - is it safe?

2»

Comments

• merlodlliwmerlodlliw Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they just developed their own cheap designs - copying an old superior design wouldn't be as cheap.

Hitachi buy many of their sets from cheap manufacturers like Vestel, a 14 inch Hitachi won't ever have seen an Hitachi factory!.

We dropped Hitachi about 15 years ago?, when they ceased to be a reputable TV manufacturer.

Nigel.

Do Sony, as you are an agent and I am a buyer make all there own, I recall a certain plasma Samsong was the same as A sony, I fully agree with your line, in 1973 I bought a 14 inch trinitron from lloyds of Wrexham, cost £214 all those years ago, so at todays price this would be £1500 plus, it did last over 14 years, it even had a hue control,so it was also ment for the no two colours ever the same market,I am sure the hue control in the pal set I bought was removed at the factory,even though the knob was left.

Bob Wrexham
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    merlodlliw wrote:
    Nigel.

Do Sony, as you are an agent and I am a buyer make all there own, I recall a certain plasma Samsong was the same as A sony

No, Sony have used panels from various manufacturers, including Samsung - but no complete sets (as far as I know). Almost all panels now come from S-LCD, a joint factory run by a consortium of Samsung and Sony.

I fully agree with your line, in 1973 I bought a 14 inch trinitron from lloyds of Wrexham, cost £214 all those years ago, so at todays price this would be £1500 plus, it did last over 14 years, it even had a hue control,so it was also ment for the no two colours ever the same market,I am sure the hue control in the pal set I bought was removed at the factory,even though the knob was left.

The reason for the Hue control was that Sony couldn't make a PAL decoder, either they wouldn't pay the licence fee, or Telefunken wouldn't let them?. So they 'bodged' a decoder that worked with a PAL signal, but didn't have a 64uS delayline, that's why they needed the Hue control.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Sony have used panels from various manufacturers, including Samsung - but no complete sets (as far as I know). Almost all panels now come from S-LCD, a joint factory run by a consortium of Samsung and Sony.

The reason for the Hue control was that Sony couldn't make a PAL decoder, either they wouldn't pay the licence fee, or Telefunken wouldn't let them?. So they 'bodged' a decoder that worked with a PAL signal, but didn't have a 64uS delayline, that's why they needed the Hue control.

Many thanks, I could not recall if the hue control worked,now I can remember it did, I bought a sony because my then wife worked at Moel Y Parc for the ITA & all their equipment was Sony,which the engineers said was best at the time.

Bob
    Forum Member
    merlodlliw wrote:
    Many thanks, I could not recall if the hue control worked,now I can remember it did, I bought a sony because my then wife worked at Moel Y Parc for the ITA & all their equipment was Sony,which the engineers said was best at the time.

They were good reliable TV's back then, some are even still working now - but the colour was never quite right on them, presumably due to the non-PAL decoder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were good reliable TV's back then, some are even still working now - but the colour was never quite right on them, presumably due to the non-PAL decoder.

Yes I see some stil working around here after 30 years,the colour seemed good at the time, I suppose it was the first set that I saw with the, well semi flat screen, I also recall the screen was white then.

Enjoy the snow, gales here.

Bob
    Forum Member
    merlodlliw wrote:
    Enjoy the snow, gales here.

No snow, very windy though, and we've had a couple of light hail showers.