Talksport Chat (Part 3)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listened to the breakfast show this morning for the first time in ages. No difference to the usual rubbish really except all Iranis contribution now seems to be is creepy laughing..... they even cut him off mid sentence to go to the travel.

The call in, in the last hour had the grand total of three yes 3 callers.....so did they only put three people through or did only three people ring in?
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    I've posted it before but here we go again...

06:00 The Sports Breakfast with Danny Kelly & Alvin Martin: sports news, discussion, interviews with pace, energy and insight.
    09:30 James O’Brien: topical discussion and phone-in debate.
    12:00 The Jeremy Kyle Show: sports phone-in, magazine, interviews.
    14:00 Hawksbee & Jacobs: light-hearted sports chat, interviews, guests, features.
    17:00 Mark Saggers: sports news round-up, interviews, previews.
    19:00 Kick-Off with Adrian Durham: football coverage, discussion, phone-in and live commentaries.
    22:30 The Late Show with Ian Collins: serious and light-hearted topical discussion, interviews and phone-in debate.
    01:00 Mike Graham: serious and light-hearted topical discussion, interviews and phone-in debate.

Dear 4-4-2,

Please stage a military coup at TS & remove Morris Dee from his position & implement the schedule you have posted.

Yours Faithfully,

Syntax Error
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the situation with Irani and the breakfast show very odd indeed, if they think he's so bad why haven't they got him out the door and replaced with someone more akin to radio broadcasting instead of keeping him on with a limited contribution probably hoping we'll stop noticing how bad he is. I've knocked Ronnie from pillar to post in here at times but I do believe he's a decent kind but just in the wrong job completely. He probably figured when he packed up playing cricket he'd just do what loads of other early retired sportsmen and sportswomen have done before him take up a new career in the media.

Ronnie's big problem is unlike scores of other retired sports people who found they eased into TV and radio work quite naturally poor Ronnie struggled from the off and 3 years on he's still struggling with it. I can honestly say during my working life if I had found myself in a job I was not up to I would have moved heaven and earth to move away from it. He must know he's poor, Brazil tells him often enough on air, as does Potts, Abrahams and Gingernuts.

God help him if he reads the forums and message boards, I'd want to top myself if I read the bile and hatred about me that he gets every day. I guess £250,000 every year is a pretty good reason to take all the flack for, job satisfaction can't be the reason why he stays as it must be very annoying being forcibly silenced like he is, not to mention the ridiculing he's forced to take on the chin from Brazil and the others.

Summing up I don't really know the bloke whatsoever, comes over the radio as a decent kind to me {could be wrong I suppose} all I do know is he's in the wrong line of work and should get out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear 4-4-2,

Please stage a military coup at TS & remove Morris Dee from his position & implement the schedule you have posted.

Yours Faithfully,

Syntax Error

Right I'M READY, everyone on the main door at Talksport Towers next Monday morning at 9.00AM prompt with your placards, banners and loud hailers and lets get the message over to them that we want changes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the misfortune to listen to Matt Forde this morning.

His lack of knowledge which comes as no surprise amazes me:

Why have TS employed a person of such immaturity and lack of knowledge to host a phone-in show ?.

The classic (and most upsetting to relatives) comment he made was his first real memory of a ship sinking was the Herald of Free Enterprise as a very young boy and at first thought that it was the Titanic as he had never heard of a passenger ship sinking.

He stated that it was fortunate that nobody was killed, unlike those who lost their lives on the Titanic.

A caller quickly rang in and informed him that 193 people perished.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Parry has to stay as Clips of the Week is a highlight of TS and it would be decimated without his contributions.
    Kyle? How has he any credibility? His only talent is being snarlingly patronising to inadequate bottom-feeders whilst flanked by a couple of Buster Bloodvessels. TS must buck the trend in broadcasting of dumbing down and bring in people with some gravitas, leave Kyle to his 'Britain's Got Chavs' daytime dross.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Billy...Irani "comes a cross as decent"
    Where in the name of god do you get that idea from.
    Hes a nasty bully, a big head, and a complete idiot. Totally charmless.TOTALY.
    Im not getting your summary of him for one second.
    He is hateful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWC wrote: »
    Billy...Irani "comes a cross as decent"
    Where in the name of god do you get that idea from.
    Hes a nasty bully, a big head, and a complete idiot. Totally charmless.TOTALY.
    Im not getting your summary of him for one second.
    He is hateful.

Well you have to bear in mind SWC I don't know him personally or these days even listen to him very much, I did mention I could be wrong about him being a decent kind and said that didn't I, as always I am always open to being put right if I'm wrong.
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    Parry has to stay as Clips of the Week is a highlight of TS and it would be decimated without his contributions.
    Kyle? How has he any credibility? His only talent is being snarlingly patronising to inadequate bottom-feeders whilst flanked by a couple of Buster Bloodvessels. TS must buck the trend in broadcasting of dumbing down and bring in people with some gravitas, leave Kyle to his 'Britain's Got Chavs' daytime dross.

And Parry has how much credibility?

I don't judge Kyle's talkSPORT work based on any pre-concieved ideas about his television shows.

I thought he presented a damn good programme on the station over the last couple of years, and showed he had wide knowledge of football, as well cricket, golf and rugby. He even presented The Sports Breakfast alongside Irani for a few days last year too and was a shining light compared to the usual dross listeners are subjected to.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2's proposed ideal schedule has prompted a lot of discussion on here. It's clearly very strong, but my only real issue with it would be the tinkering of the traditional weekday timeslots.

Before you get to the content, I think the pattern of the schedule itself - 6-10am breakfast, 10am-1pm mid-mornings, 1-4pm afternoons, 4-7pm drivetime, 7-10/11pm evening football, 10/11pm-1am late show and 1-6am overnights - sits really well and makes a lot of sense. It's what I've got used to over the years and the way I'd like talkSPORT to stay.

On this note...

On Friday nights, we have Kick-Off between 7-10pm, George Galloway 10pm-1am and Matt Forde 1-6am.

On Saturday nights, we have Russell Brand 9-10pm, The Sports Bar 10pm-1am and Matt Forde 1-6am.

On Sunday nights, we have Football First 6-9pm, The Sports Bar 9pm-midnight and Matt Forde midnight-6am.

Putting aside your views on the actual shows and presenters themselves, surely it would make sense to adjust the Sunday schedule by extending Football First to 10pm in order to bring the Sunday Sports Bar into line with its Saturday counterpart and to have Matt Forde working the same hours all week?

It just seems common sense to me to have the weekend evening shows (and the evenings show in general) broadcasting in consistent timeslots. Football First on Sunday used to be a four hour show in previous football seasons so it wouldn't be a great change to add an hour to that show.

I wasn't listening to talkSPORT last night, but I saw on my TV's EPG that The Grand Prix Show was scheduled for 9-9.30pm - just half an hour this week. Whilst IMO it's preferable to cutting into Football First, surely it'd make better sense to pop it in between 9-10pm (which should be the final hour of Football First) for a full hour at least.
  • Lightning T5Lightning T5 Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Novaman wrote: »
    I had the misfortune to listen to Matt Forde this morning.
    Don't we all:sleep:
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up listening to Talk Sport about 2-3 years ago.For some reason i tuned in today to listen to Hawksbee & Jacobs.Now unless i missed it because i was also working at the time.Have H&J got rid of the birthday spread & the games they usually play?.That was 1 of the highlights of the show for me.Do they still do clips of the week?.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I'm new to this thread although I've been reading it for a number of weeks. Here's what I'd do with the weekday schedule

6-10 Alan Brazil and Mike Parry
    10-1 Jeremy Kyle
    1-4 Hawksbee and Jacobs
    4-7 Adrian Durham and Danny Kelly
    7-10 Mark Saggers with an expert on European football (eg Graham Hunter, Sid Low or Gabrielle Marcotti)
    10-1 Ian Collins
    1-6 Mike Graham

Also I'd sack Mickey Quinn and Goldstein at weekends with a new weekend breakfast with Danny Kelly and Alvin Martin and restore the 10-1 weekend slot to debating with the Mother of all Talkshows. The stations has good a lot of good presenters out of position (Parry, Graham, Brazil) but it should clear out the deadwood (Irani, the Moose, Quinn, Forde etc). If these changes were made, then I think Mr Dee would see some major improvements in the RAJAR numbers.
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    I've posted it before but here we go again...

06:00 The Sports Breakfast with Danny Kelly & Alvin Martin: sports news, discussion, interviews with pace, energy and insight.
    14:00 Hawksbee & Jacobs: light-hearted sports chat, interviews, guests, features.
    19:00 Kick-Off with Adrian Durham: football coverage, discussion, phone-in and live commentaries.
    22:30 The Late Show with Ian Collins: serious and light-hearted topical discussion, interviews and phone-in debate.
    01:00 Mike Graham: serious and light-hearted topical discussion, interviews and phone-in debate.

Yes I like this too, as for James O’Brien a big thumbs up, It would also be a huge statment from Talksport in repaying their loyal non sport listeners their popular morning show back .
    I agree with Diff the time slots to stay as they are, as this is what their rivals keep too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    gerry d wrote: »
    I gave up listening to Talk Sport about 2-3 years ago.For some reason i tuned in today to listen to Hawksbee & Jacobs.Now unless i missed it because i was also working at the time.Have H&J got rid of the birthday spread & the games they usually play?.That was 1 of the highlights of the show for me.Do they still do clips of the week?.

Thanks

Gerry: H&J is the only talkSPORT programme I listen to now. Most of the games are now gone, birthday spread, sport or nought, etc, and they now take more phone in contributions. Clips of the week is still there, fortunately, at 3-30pm on Friday, and is usually as good as it always was. Although if Mike Parry or Alan Brazil leave the station, they will struggle for content :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apollo101 wrote: »
    I'm new to this thread although I've been reading it for a number of weeks. Here's what I'd do with the weekday schedule

6-10 Alan Brazil and Mike Parry
    10-1 Jeremy Kyle
    1-4 Hawksbee and Jacobs
    4-7 Adrian Durham and Danny Kelly
    7-10 Mark Saggers with an expert on European football (eg Graham Hunter, Sid Low or Gabrielle Marcotti)
    10-1 Ian Collins
    1-6 Mike Graham

Also I'd sack Mickey Quinn and Goldstein at weekends with a new weekend breakfast with Danny Kelly and Alvin Martin and restore the 10-1 weekend slot to debating with the Mother of all Talkshows. The stations has good a lot of good presenters out of position (Parry, Graham, Brazil) but it should clear out the deadwood (Irani, the Moose, Quinn, Forde etc). If these changes were made, then I think Mr Dee would see some major improvements in the RAJAR numbers.

Welcome along to the thread Apollo, the contributing side at least as you said you've been reading the posts some weeks, hope you stick around a while and continue posting your views. You've posted yet another damn good suggestion for a new schedule, how come we can all come up with these but the program director at the station can't come up with a good one himself eh?. :mad:
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Granite wrote: »
    Gerry: H&J is the only talkSPORT programme I listen to now. Most of the games are now gone, birthday spread, sport or nought, etc, and they now take more phone in contributions. Clips of the week is still there, fortunately, at 3-30pm on Friday, and is usually as good as it always was. Although if Mike Parry or Alan Brazil leave the station, they will struggle for content :)

Thanks for that.It's a shame they don't still play the games.1 of my favourites was "One size fits Hall".It's good to hear they still do Clips of the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed George Galloway last night in for one night for Ian Collins who was off, as the usual presenter does at midnight George had a special guest in the studio for the final hour. Last night it was Scottish comedian Del Strain who was excellent throughout, a clever guy very up on what's going on around him politically. Listening last night only confirmed to me even more that Galloway should be used more than the paltry 3 hours on Friday nights.

A few minutes of George & Del from last night ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bRLPzqMZj0
  • KOP1975KOP1975 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    Yes I like this too, as for James O’Brien a big thumbs up, It would also be a huge statment from Talksport in repaying their loyal non sport listeners their popular morning show back .
    I agree with Diff the time slots to stay as they are, as this is what their rivals keep too.

only problem is that Parry and Brazil no longer get on!
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    KOP1975 wrote: »
    only problem is that Parry and Brazil no longer get on!

All the better as they are not in the schedule.
    To be fair to Parry he was also good on the Sat /Sun football show a few years back.
    As for Alan Brazil he's showing at present that he comes across so much better away from the Breakfast Show.

Originally Posted by 4-4-2
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    All the better as they are not in the schedule.
    To be fair to Parry he was also good on the Sat /Sun football show a few years back.
    As for Alan Brazil he's showing at present that he comes across so much better away from the Breakfast Show.

Originally Posted by 4-4-2

I'm staggered how much better Brazil is on Sunday afternoons.

I don't know if it is because the booze has exited his system, or whether it is because he doesn't have to carry the useless Ronnie Irani, but his Sunday Exclusive show is first class listening.
  • JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    It's a shame they don't still play the games.1 of my favourites was "One size fits Hall".It's good to hear they still do Clips of the week.

'One size fits Hall' and the birthday spread were things you could join in with at home .... most of the TS quizzes nowadays are just two van-drivers in their private world of fact-swapping which doesn't include the rest of us. 'Sport Or Nought' was my favourite, mainly because they read out some of my suggestions :-)
    As for Clips Of The Week .... is it just me, or does anyone else think they're rather TOO keen on the long dragged-out clips that aren't all that funny? I prefer them short and sweet.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That buffoon Brazil was really on top form this morning, going on about foreigners taking up university places. Dim Faye Carruthers countered by saying the law was unfair on poorer families but the big man was having none of it. What a bigot.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    I enjoyed George Galloway last night in for one night for Ian Collins who was off, as the usual presenter does at midnight George had a special guest in the studio for the final hour. Last night it was Scottish comedian Del Strain who was excellent throughout, a clever guy very up on what's going on around him politically. Listening last night only confirmed to me even more that Galloway should be used more than the paltry 3 hours on Friday nights.

A few minutes of George & Del from last night ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bRLPzqMZj0

I agree, it was good if not a little unusual to hear two lefties on TS. The colonel`s finest must be really peeved to hear such tosspot mcdougal on his air time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    I agree, it was good if not a little unusual to hear two lefties on TS. The colonel`s finest must be really peeved to hear such tosspot mcdougal on his air time!

HA HA HA you are dead right!!!, I bet old Colonel Collins can't get back fast enough tonight to start putting all the 'wrong' right. :D Great show wasn't it, I listened to the lot of it which I don't even do when the Colonel is in the big chair.
This discussion has been closed.