People driving with snow on their car roofs

Comments

• BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Which still won't impair my vision...

But it will impair the vision of those driving behind you.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBTweets wrote: »
    OK, I'll bite. Just what kind of car do you have that makes it impossible for you to reach the roof that is actually narrower than a Ford Ka?

I have a Hyundai i10. It's 160cm tall, which is about 5'2-5'3, and I'm barely 4'11 with disproportionately short torso. . I can reach part of the roof but nowhere near all of it, nor can I reach all of my windscreen (but a bit of climbing onto the bonnet takes care of that). It's got no boot to speak of, either, so I can't just somehow fold a sweeping brush in there.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Why??! Are they too lazy to do it? Yes, its cold but being 10 minutes or so late for work is preferable to crashing the car because your vision could be impared. Pathetic.

As an expert driver in all conditions I have found that snow off the car roof will not obstruct my vision as long as I do not brake suddenly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes: For heaven's sake, I'm not talking about a yardbrush and I guess you've never taken your car through a car wash then?

Hey, just talking from experience and experience has told me NEVER to use a SOFT sweeping brush on a 1982 Black Talbot Alpine :) made me paranoid (thats why i only buy silver cars now...)
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why??! Are they too lazy to do it? Yes, its cold but being 10 minutes or so late for work is preferable to crashing the car because your vision could be impared. Pathetic.

Jesus Effing Christ, is there nothing people dont moan about in this forum?
  • LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Jesus Effing Christ, is there nothing people dont moan in this forum?

in a nutshell .... NOPE :D
  • KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizza wrote: »
    But it will impair the vision of those driving behind you.

I once had a huge chunk of ice/snow fly off the top of the car in front...no, there was no slamming of brakes etc...and land on my windscreen. The shock of it, not to mention the 5-10 seconds atleast that it took for the wipers to give me a clear view again, was harrowing. It is an unnecessary hazard and not worth the risk of being the one to initiate a huge pile up
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    I have a Hyundai i10. It's 160cm tall, which is about 5'2-5'3, and I'm barely 4'11 with disproportionately short torso. . I can reach part of the roof but nowhere near all of it, nor can I reach all of my windscreen (but a bit of climbing onto the bonnet takes care of that). It's got no boot to speak of, either, so I can't just somehow fold a sweeping brush in there.

I'm barely 5'2", but your arms should still be able to reach that height to get most of the snow off with just your coat sleeve. You might have to walk all the way around the car, but it's still do-able, but I'll guess you don't have room in the car for a coat either.

Your car is 1595mm wide, my sweeping brush (cheapo from Asda) is approximately 4' (1220mm) long and you can also get telescopic ones or even just hacksaw off the end to reduce it's size.

I don't think your disproportionately short body torso excuse will work if the police stop you either. Hope it sits well with you if a piece of icy snow comes flying off and smacks into somebody else's windshield though.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

To be honest, that's all beside the point.

You either DON'T think snow on car roofs is a big deal, in which case your height isn't an issue because you aren't bothered about removing the snow regardless.

Or...

You DO accept that snow on car roofs is an issue, in which case you have a moral obligation to find a way to remove it regardless of your personal issues.

Basically, saying "Well, it's not my fault cos I'm short" is a cop-out one way or the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have a Vauxhall Tigra & i wouldnt dare try & use it in this weather .... its not made for this weather & i dont fancy dieing in my 20's ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    As an expert driver in all conditions I have found that snow off the car roof will not obstruct my vision as long as I do not brake suddenly

Huh? What about the guy behind you??
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    To be honest, that's all beside the point.

The point is, there's nothing I can do about it, and I need to drive. So I'll drive. The amount of snow that I can't get off my roof is hardly going to cause a massive problem, and significantly less than the viewing restirction a massive sweeping brush in my car would cause. It's WATER.
    I'm barely 5'2", but your arms should still be able to reach that height to get most of the snow off with just your coat sleeve. You might have to walk all the way around the car, but it's still do-able, but I'll guess you don't have room in the car for a coat either.

How arrogant do you have to be to PRESUME you know just what I can and can't reach? I can't even reach the windscreen, how one earth do you expect me to reach the top? Your experience is completely irrelevant to me. I'm sorry that you are unhappy that my arms aren't able to do what you personally think they "should", but I am not built to your personal preferences.
    I don't think your disproportionately short body torso excuse will work if the police stop you either. Hope it sits well with you if a piece of icy snow comes flying off and smacks into somebody else's windshield though.

And I hope it sits well with you if I damage my car or myself or someone else's vehicle because my rear sides are blocked by a sweeping brush.

Edit: Forget it. I have no interest in explaining myself to two moral crusaders who think they know me and my physical capabilities better than I do.
    Forum Member
    The point is, there's nothing I can do about it, and I need to drive. So I'll drive. The amount of snow that I can't get off my roof is hardly going to cause a massive problem, and significantly less than the viewing restirction a massive sweeping brush in my car would cause.
    You're still missing the point.

What happens if you can't afford to tax or insure your car?
    Will you have the same attitude then?
    "I need to drive so it's just tough luck!"?

If you DO accept that ice on car roofs can be dangerous to following traffic then you DO have an obligation to do something about it rather than trying to justify your inaction.
    It's WATER.
    Yeah.

How'd that work out for the Titanic?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I seem to recall, a couple of years ago, that the cops around here were actually pulling cars over and forcing the drivers to scrape the snow off their roofs.

The worry is that when you're doing 60mph a big lump of snow/ice could blow off your roof and hit the car behind and cause an accident.

Should be the law actually...once the snow/ice gets to a certain thickness. You have enough to worry about driving on slick roads with black ice, to have to keep an eye out for the sheet of ice on the car in front!
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinda wrote: »
    Should be the law actually...once the snow/ice gets to a certain thickness. You have enough to worry about driving on slick roads with black ice, to have to keep an eye out for the sheet of ice on the car in front!

I'm fairly certain this was covered on BBC Breakfast the other day. RAC or AA man mentioned people were being stopped for not clearing the top of the car.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Kinda wrote: »

My father who was in the police is fairly adament that it is illegal for a person to drive with snow on the roof.
  • helloshirleyhelloshirley Posts: 193
    Forum Member

If snow slides off my roof I turn the wipers on .
    Its certainly less hassle as I drive a van so I couldn't reach all the snow even if I wanted to.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have your answer, OP. People are too dumb to realise it can slide off the roof and cover the windscreen at the worst possible mo... *smash*! :D
  • helloshirleyhelloshirley Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Sophie7350 wrote: »
    My father who was in the police is fairly adament that it is illegal for a person to drive with snow on the roof.

Does he know how vehicles that are higher than a car can get the snow off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i find my arm works a treat getting the snow off the roof ;)
    Forum Member
    If snow slides off my roof I turn the wipers on .

Are people too stupid or ignorant to understand that it doesn't affect YOU?
    It affects following vehicles.
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How arrogant do you have to be to PRESUME you know just what I can and can't reach? I can't even reach the windscreen, how one earth do you expect me to reach the top? Your experience is completely irrelevant to me. I'm sorry that you are unhappy that my arms aren't able to do what you personally think they "should", but I am not built to your personal preferences.

It's perfectly logical to presume others can handle and maintain their cars, it's arrogant to think that you can get away with not taking reasonable precautions just because you're smaller than average.

I was originally trying to offer a helpful suggestion but you'd just rather carry on making excuses for your height. You're only 3" shorter than me so regardless of your 'disproportionately short torso' unless you have some other physical disability then I can safely presume what you're capable of.

And I hope it sits well with you if I damage my car or myself or someone else's vehicle because my rear sides are blocked by a sweeping brush.

I'd love to know just what a sweeping brush looks like in your head. Your rear side windows would be no more blocked by one than they'd be by any passengers you'd carry in the back. It's strange how small vans can get around quite safely without having any rear side windows. I'd imagine lots of people would be damaged because they can't see out of them.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highway code:

Before you set off

you MUST be able to see, so clear all snow and ice from all your windows
    you MUST ensure that lights are clean and number plates are clearly visible and legible
    make sure the mirrors are clear and the windows are demisted thoroughly
    remove all snow that might fall off into the path of other road users
    check your planned route is clear of delays and that no further snowfalls or severe weather are predicted

[Laws CUR reg 30, RVLR reg 23, VERA sect 43 & RV(DRM)R reg 11]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Does he know how vehicles that are higher than a car can get the snow off?

I am not sure, but I am sure that he classed it as "driving without due cause and attention.
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ey? I am thick I know, but it stands to reason to me the snow will slide off the back of the car, not down over the windscreen? :confused:

That depends on the direction the car is travelling, what the deceleration is and the shape of the car.