Is anyone watching the German Season on BBC 4?

TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondering if anyone else has watched any of the programmes BBC4 featured this week for the German season. What does anyone think of them?

Comments

• Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - if there's a season on BBC4 then I'm present for quite a number of them. Watched Andrew Graham-Dixon's Art of Germany on Monday - was looking forward to it following his previous similar programmes for other countries. He should be looking at Caspar David Friedrich next week, following his Culture Show piece.

I've seen some of the other shows before, e.g., Kirsty Wark's Tales from Berlin from her Tales from Europe series. Stephen Fry's Wagner documentary is being shown again and it's well worth watching.
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Drew. I really enjoyed the Andrew Graham-Dixon programme and I'm looking forward to next week and his exploration of Caspar David Friedrich's paintings. The Wanderlust programme was also good. The scenery of the Rhine was stunning and it made me want to go on a river cruise there next summer. I recognised some of the other shows as repeats, but it was nice to see them again.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the programme on Frederick the Great which was interesting and well made, despite several unnecessary "in your face wavy handed performances" by the presenter Christopher Clark.
    I find at these moments I sometimes have to restrain myself from the urge to say "Yes! Really! I am paying attention!"

But sadly, so many presenters these days have this irritating Davina McCall type of affliction.
  • BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Yes I am watching and really enjoying as I do of most of these season type strand of programmes BBC4 show
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too enjoyed the programme on Frederick the Great which by the standards of these days was mostly unshowy and reminded me of a period in history I studied some time ago.

It was much better I felt than the BBC2 documentary on Alexander the Great as I felt it stuck to the subject more rather than the presenter showing himself wandering around.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    I too enjoyed the programme on Frederick the Great which by the standards of these days was mostly unshowy and reminded me of a period in history I studied some time ago.

It was much better I felt than the BBC2 documentary on Alexander the Great as I felt it stuck to the subject more rather than the presenter showing himself wandering around.

Yes I remember that, there was a lot of him "walking about" wasn't there?

Was that the one by Matt Frei?