Options

Bold and the Beautiful Coming to Channel Five?

2»

Comments

• Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know whether its true whether B&B is coming to Channel Five as part of its daytime schedule?

No, they are not interested in any US soap.

In 2000 they made there bigest mistake by replacing the axed Sunset Beach with Days of our lives. They should have replaced it with Passions.

Since then they have gone for the aussie crap soaps.
  • Options
    Matt7Matt7 Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    No, they are not interested in any US soap.

In 2000 they made there bigest mistake by replacing the axed Sunset Beach with Days of our lives. They should have replaced it with Passions.

Since then they have gone for the aussie crap soaps.

Passions is much worse than Days Of Our Lives and would not have been a success here. The series started with the Ethan / Gwen / Theresa love triange and eight years later it was still going on. Storylines were way too drawn out. Sunset Beach should of been replaced by either General Hospital or its supernatural spin off soap called Port Charles whos storylines would of appealed to UK viewers.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt7 wrote: »
    Passions is much worse than Days Of Our Lives and would not have been a success here. The series started with the Ethan / Gwen / Theresa love triange and eight years later it was still going on. Storylines were way too drawn out. Sunset Beach should of been replaced by either General Hospital or its supernatural spin off soap called Port Charles whos storylines would of appealed to UK viewers.

Totally disagree with you. Passions would have been a huge hit in the UK. We like US soaps to be OTT, which is why GH would have failed just like DOOL did.

Anyway, when five bought the crap aussie soap from itv, they gave up on US soaps.
  • Options
    Matt7Matt7 Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally disagree with you. Passions would have been a huge hit in the UK. We like US soaps to be OTT, which is why GH would have failed just like DOOL did.

Anyway, when five bought the crap aussie soap from itv, they gave up on US soaps.

Passions was probably the slowest paced soap in the history of American soaps.

General Hospital spin off Port Charles would of been popular here with its completly over the top storylines including vampires and warewolfs. Would of also been easy for any channel to repeat as each major storyline was concluded in a 13 week arc.
  • Options
    RuthLess_AntRuthLess_Ant Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    can't see any american soaps being shown on channel 5
  • Options
    mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

DOOL was OTT! Anyone remember the Garden of Eden storyline? :p
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member

Based on what, Sunset Beach? That show appealed to the UK market for more reasons than just being OTT and tongue-in-cheek - don't underestimate the power of regular location shooting and sunny California (that's one of the reasons the Oz soaps were/are popular).

And GH was popular, it was ABC1's flagship show, constantly pulling in high ratings for the network. But they couldn't afford it, and not long after the channel folded.

How many episodes of Passions have you seen consecutively? If you can sit through 2 weeks of 10 40 minute eps, and still believe it's the best soap, and would've been a huge hit, then you're a true fan, and ultimately biased. Passions would never have worked, simply b/c people would have seen it as a copy-cat show, who got SB the axe, and for those that would have given it a chance would have deserted it, due to the super slow pace, the inane, implausible storylines - it started off as a spoof to soaps, and ended up spoofing itself on top of spoofing soaps. It was all kinds of bad. And dumb as.
    mangomoon wrote: »
    That story got it axed. The ratings started to dive when that story started.
  • Options
    RuthLess_AntRuthLess_Ant Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Hope the channel actually buys the show
  • Options
    TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, RuthLess Ant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mangomoon wrote: »

I love DOOL but it wasn't funny like SB. The thing I loved about SB was that even the characters seemed to acknowledge how crazy their lives were! Annie and her daydreams!The storylines were out of this world, but funny too. In DOOL, everything is sooo serious.
  • Options
    Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Five showing Days of Our Lives when Sunset Beach ended. I remember thinking that they might've put Sons and Daughters in the slot vacated by Sunset Beach, as they still had the rights and had stopped showing at Christmas 1998. However, they didn't and Days of Our life was pulled from day tme, like Sons and Daughters was on Five.

Re: Bold and the Beautiful, I can't see Five showing that again.
  • Options
    skf1skf1 Posts: 7,857
    Forum Member
    Matt7 wrote: »
    Passions was probably the slowest paced soap in the history of American soaps.

General Hospital spin off Port Charles would of been popular here with its completly over the top storylines including vampires and warewolfs. Would of also been easy for any channel to repeat as each major storyline was concluded in a 13 week arc.

That's not totally true. Port Charles took over the slot which was originally The City - which was a spin off of Loving.
    It started out out as a regular soap opera, based in the hospital.
    That was the purpose of the show as General Hospital (Which Port Charles was the spin off) was going in a different direction. Still is! Like I love the mafia and mob! (OK it ain't that bad)
    Confused much? I am! I do have to add - when ABC started with the Telenovela arcs with Port Charles - I was hooked! Still love the show! Thankful I can still catch reruns!

This is the original start up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk

My favorite - will and will always be the arc Tainted Love.

Then when the arcs kicked in always changed! Miracles Happen was the smallest arc with only 4 weeks.

How sad am I!
    Steph
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I thoroughly miss B&B it was my daily wind down programme. I cannot see why the UK with ite hundreds of TV channels cannot find a place for a programme such as this. Pure escapism. Compared to the cliched over camp English soaps like the gutter enders the drivel that is oaks the up its own arse street and the should have died years ago dale. Why spend all the money they do building multi million pound sets when B&B tend to be stufio based yet still captivate. Drama is supposed to be pretend. In UK they tend to try too much to be real. Yet fail miserably. When B&B was on I did not watch the English soaps. Now i am forced to purely to fill the gap.

Whilst there are calls to bring back roads and side that is impossible. Particulalry since all the houses on the close were sold. As for roads well that has had two chances but ITV put it on when people are travelling home. Plus it had another failed soap night right next to it in the schedule. Whereas Bold is still alive and kicking the world as the most popular soap opera. US soaos are not given a chance in UK.
  • Options
    ToadieTheLawmanToadieTheLawman Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This soap would suit channel 5 after Neighbours at 2:15pm or maybe at 4:30pm or 5pm
  • Options
    Simon-SmithSimon-Smith Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see it being on Channel 5 now that the 6:30pm timeslot is free
  • Options
    NathanTNathanT Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure B&B could work well and build up a loyal fanbase over time in a teatime or early evening slot on any terrestrial channel in the UK (preferably with a daytime repeat as well).

However, the sad truth is that no terrestrial channel is brave enough to take the risk and leave the show on air long enough for the viewing public to get involved and become hooked.
  • Options
    victoria1961victoria1961 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Surely it won't cost alot to buy, especially if they go back a couple of years? I miss B&B and Sunset Beach.:(
  • Options
    SOAPYFANSOAPYFAN Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B&B is being broadcast on UK channel Sofa Stars!!!!
  • Options
    NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that channel ever going to launch? I want BOLD back
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passions is awesome! I would love to see that and B&B on tv!
  • Options
    unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that channel ever going to launch? I want BOLD back

No. It was a sad fantasy by some idiot and they've spent the last 2 years saying they will launch soon but nothing has ever come of it.
  • Options
    NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unknown17 wrote: »
    No. It was a sad fantasy by some idiot and they've spent the last 2 years saying they will launch soon but nothing has ever come of it.

So presumably the rights to the show are up for grabs again?