Options

Sky repair or not

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
Forum Member
My mums old Sky+ box is failing badly now - sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. We have been through all the usual 'fix it' stuff....it's safe to say it nearly a goner.
Now, do i ask for a Sky engineer to call round at £65(?) and will they replace the box free of charge (although i have heard they no longer produce the basic Sky+ box). So will they try and sell her a Sky+HD box? can't see them giving those away.
I am sure they will ask for an additional cost as it IS an big upgrade but at what cost?
Do i say to my mum to just order a Sky+HD box and correct me if i am wrong - it is £20 set up then £10.25 a month? If they take the contract out for a year then end the HD subscription she then gets to keep the HD box?
I know you can get the old Sky+ box off Ebay but she does not want to buy a 2nd hand one and to buy a new one costs around £145 looking quickly online.
My fear is that the engineer will call round when the box is working fine and land her with a £65 fee.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    The installer will simply come round and replace her box with another secondhand Sky+ box, which may (or may not) have been repaired correctly. It comes with a 90 day warranty, and if it isn't OK, then they will keep replacing it until they provide you one that is. To be honest, the replacement Sky+ boxes haven't been as bad as the HD ones, presumably someone more competent does the repairs to them?.

If she wants a new box, she can either buy an HD one (as Sky+) or upgrade to HD, and pay the HD subscription for 12 months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try going to cancellations and tell them you want to cancel as the box is faulty. If they tell you its £65 call out charge, say you can't afford it and you will most likely get a free call out (I've never paid for a call out yet).

You may be lucky with the replacement Sky+ box but I've had 4 of them in the last 4 months (the last one which is the worst was supposedly repaired by the new company contracted to do the job).

I've now cancelled as i don't really want a new 12 month contract which I would have, if I took the Sky HD box which they offered to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Thanks for suggestions....going to get engineer out and replacement box and seeing they are in their seventies, a free call out (hoping).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alternatively, if you ask around you can probably get a free working Sky+ box from somebody who has upgraded to HD and get their card paired to it.
  • Options
    AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KevinGB wrote: »
    Alternatively, if you ask around you can probably get a free working Sky+ box from somebody who has upgraded to HD and get their card paired to it.

Try local car boot sales. ebay, local press small ads, Freecycle, ask around at work, down the pub etc. As KevinGB says there are thousands of Sky+ boxes lying around.