Guardian Song of The Year

Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Have to say have never heard it before, not that impressed sounds like it would make a decent Eurovision entry with a good chance of some high scores ,but the best record of 2010 ???:confused:

The track is Dancing On My Own by Robyn

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/dec/20/robyn-dancing-on-my-own

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    It's a fantastic pop song.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Great song from one of the albums of the year, I wouldnt argue with it as a choice even if I could have come up with half a dozen other tracks myself.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Robyn thoroughly deserved to win - she's criminally overlooked by most of the British public. And OP I'd suggest you listen to her Body Talk compilation before writing her off. It was incredibly well received by critics, and I'd say its undoubtedly the best pop album of the year.
  • JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, doesn't do it for me I'm afraid..

:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG that is MY song of the year!!!!! :eek:

it's absolutely beautiful!!
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Yeah, great song, can't argue with that choice at all! Took me a few listens to get it at first though.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I read that earlier. Thoroughly-deserved too. An amazing song from a criminally-ignored, wonderful artist. It's easily my favourite song of the year, as I've said here on several occasions ;)

Some people will always be cynical when a pure pop song gets voted song of the year, but there hasn't been any song this year from any genre that comes close to Dancing On My Own. It's just perfect on so many levels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of critics, especially in America, have put Robyn in their Top Tens/Fifty record of the year lists and she thoroughly deserves it. With Every Heartbeat is one of my favourite songs of all times and I'm really glad that other people know how talented she is at making actual pop music.

Although, I do have to say I didn't really like Dancing On My Own, much prefer the acoustic version of Hang With Me. Now, that is an awesome song!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see her live a few years ago and she has some pretty nice pop songs. I can't say I've paid attention to her latest stuff.

The song is pretty nice but it's not my song of the year. She seems deserving as she's been working for years but hasn't really blown up massively, or rather is ignored.
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    qwerty282 wrote: »
    A lot of critics, especially in America, have put Robyn in their Top Tens/Fifty record of the year lists and she thoroughly deserves it. With Every Heartbeat is one of my favourite songs of all times and I'm really glad that other people know how talented she is at making actual pop music.

Although, I do have to say I didn't really like Dancing On My Own, much prefer the acoustic version of Hang With Me. Now, that is an awesome song!

Have listened to the acoustic version of Hang With Me and have to say I prefer it to Dancing On My Own, but a bit too heavy on the strings for my liking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robyn is one the best proper pop artists around, she goes unnoticed a lot over here and its such a shame.

And also, her latest single, Indestructible is just as good!
  • deanieboydeanieboy Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this song!! Robyn and the song are so underrated!! She's totally has cornered the market with this type of song....
  • BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »
    Have to say have never heard it before, not that impressed sounds like it would make a decent Eurovision entry with a good chance of some high scores ,but the best record of 2010 ???:confused:

well its better than all the other crap that got to number 1 this year which seemed to be held in higher regard..
  • batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    I do like the song, but I wouldn't say it was the best of the year. It would certainly be up there, but not the best.
  • deanieboydeanieboy Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally, I don't think it sounds anything like a Eurovision entry - I don't get the Eurovision vibe from it at all -in fact if it was entered I don't think it would get high scores...that's just me of course!! I'm sure many people will disagree with me!!
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    Yeah I read that earlier. Thoroughly-deserved too. An amazing song from a criminally-ignored, wonderful artist. It's easily my favourite song of the year, as I've said here on several occasions ;)

Some people will always be cynical when a pure pop song gets voted song of the year, but there hasn't been any song this year from any genre that comes close to Dancing On My Own. It's just perfect on so many levels.

Robyn's most recent single, Indestructible, trumps Dancing On My Own, IMO. It is just pure pop perfection. Dancing On My Own is a little on the whiney side, though it has a beautiful Middle 8 section.
    Still, Robyn wins regardless so it is all good:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great tune, whther it's the song of the year of course is debatable, but it's well deserved, three great mini albums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First time I've heard it - Love it.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Fantastic choice!

I love Robyn and it's a crime that her Body Talk album(s) have been overlooked over here :cry: It is without doubt my favourite album of 2010
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    It's definitely among the best songs of the year. I was a bit iffy on Robyn, but Dancing on My Own solidified my love for her. This song is incredible.

It also won Radio 1's best Live Lounge performance of 2010 the other day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Did it really? Oh well done on Robyn, hopefully this recognition will gain her some sales.
  • _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow, I loved this song when it was out! Robyn is so underrated. Glad this got chosen over some of the other tripe that's seen as 'good' thses days :rolleyes:
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    That's a very good choice.

I like her.:)
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent choice for the record of the year. It's probably my favourite song of the year and Body Talk, my favourite album of the year. She is so so underrated, it's criminal :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have listened to the acoustic version of Hang With Me and have to say I prefer it to Dancing On My Own, but a bit too heavy on the strings for my liking.

Maybe you'll like the normal, non-acoustic version better? That's more synth-y and has less strings. I felt it was too impersonal and just like the acoustic version better! Actually it's with all Robyn songs when I hear them done acoustically. I just fall in love with them and get more emotion and meaning out of them then just her dancy versions as the synthy beats hide the song and her great lyrics.

Talking about Dancing on my own, isn't it just another version of Be Mine? That's probably the reason why I don't like it as it feels too similar in its sentiments to Be Mine.