Newcastle Brown to change recipie

UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
'The recipe for Newcastle Brown Ale is to change amid US fears it contains a potentially cancer-causing colouring.

Brewer Heineken said the move was prompted by customer concerns about a chemical found in the caramel colouring used to give its distinctive tint.'

Says an BBC news report. Why didn't they make it a proper Brown ale in the first place! There's no colourings used in real ale. Makes you wonder what else is luking in nitro keg beers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-31196933

Comments

• Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How bizarre! So that is not its natural colour, but on the other hand this is something that is formed as a normal part of the caramel process so it's not as if some mad scientist created a wacky-sounding chemical to be spotted on the ingredients list.

The chemical is apparently banned in California and 'some North American consumers have expressed concern' so maybe they are having to act to ensure they don't lose out to a twitter campaign. I like the official "Can be in some cleaning, photographic and agricultural chemicals ..." just to make sure there's plenty of negative connotations.

So... are there some official stats on non-lab-rat mortality rates for this chemical?
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful stuff. And it's not even brewed in Newcastle (since 1999), or even the north east (since 2005) any more. It should really be called Tadcaster Brown Ale as it is brewed in the North Yorkshire town. The bottling plant used to be right opposite St James Park. On an early morning the whole of Newcastle city centre used to stink of the hops and yeast used in the production of the ale.

The strength of the drink was lowered many years ago. Before the strength was reduced one of the local hospitals used to have a ward specifically for the use of people drying out after consuming too much of the stuff!

The most famous drinker of Newcastle Brown Ale is probably Clint Eastwood. Apparently he used to get crates of the stuff shipped over from Newcastle every six months.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Awful stuff. And it's not even brewed in Newcastle (since 1999), or even the north east (since 2005) any more. It should really be called Tadcaster Brown Ale as it is brewed in the North Yorkshire town. The bottling plant used to be right opposite St James Park. On an early morning the whole of Newcastle city centre used to stink of the hops and yeast used in the production of the ale.

The strength of the drink was lowered many years ago. Before the strength was reduced one of the local hospitals used to have a ward specifically for the use of people drying out after consuming too much of the stuff!

The most famous drinker of Newcastle Brown Ale is probably Clint Eastwood. Apparently he used to get crates of the stuff shipped over from Newcastle every six months.

I used to love the odd bottle of Newcastle Brown years ago. :)

Powerful stuff though!

...... It wasn’t called ‘Journey into Space’ or the ‘Liquid Cosh’ for nothing. :o
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to change it a lot so it is actually drinkable.

Horrible tasting stuff, with outdated labeling and packaging.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    They ruined the stuff years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    They need to change it a lot so it is actually drinkable.
    They need to change it *back* to being proper re-bottled Tyne water, complete with croutons and a slight hint of eau-de-shopping-trolley because a long time ago it was good stuff even if 'an acquired taste' ;) and wasn't actually considered weird to drink though that might be because we were students :p
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Newcastle Brown? Is that the name of a geordie tanning salon?
  • The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, instead of tasting of crap, it will now instead taste of shit.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »

It is very misleading calling it Newcastle Brown Ale when it's being made in Yorkshire.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether or not this colouring turns out to be carcinogenic, mutagenic, teratogenic, or whatever else is claimed of it:

Artificial colourings and flavourings have no place in beer.

Perhaps those brands that do use such things should be relabelled "hopped fermented grain drinks"
  • Egg The GothEgg The Goth Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been drinking it 30 years and now they tell me........

So like Marlborough man and "cowboy killers", when I get my bowel cancer can I sue the brewers and will I get my cash before I die?
    Perhaps a group litigation "Dog Killers"?
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Been drinking it 30 years and now they tell me........

So like Marlborough man and "cowboy killers", when I get my bowel cancer can I sue the brewers and will I get my cash before I die?
    Perhaps a group litigation "Dog Killers"?

Don't worry! You're only likely to get cancer from caramel in beer if you're in California! ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But does it clean coins, toilet bowls or anything else that's tarnished like Coca-Cola does?
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bottles of dog are what got me through University.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »

Nuclear broon, I'm on my forth tonight and will be doing a few more.
    Forum Member
    Nuclear broon, I'm on my forth tonight and will be doing a few more.

....hope you are still with us Egg! :o ;-)
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »

Me too. Well, them and amphetamines and hallucinogens. But a LOT of dog.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    How bizarre! So that is not its natural colour, but on the other hand this is something that is formed as a normal part of the caramel process so it's not as if some mad scientist created a wacky-sounding chemical to be spotted on the ingredients list.

The chemical is apparently banned in California and 'some North American consumers have expressed concern' so maybe they are having to act to ensure they don't lose out to a twitter campaign. I like the official "Can be in some cleaning, photographic and agricultural chemicals ..." just to make sure there's plenty of negative connotations.

So... are there some official stats on non-lab-rat mortality rates for this chemical?
    Some countries have strange food & drinks laws like Denmark banning Marmite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Some countries have strange food & drinks laws like Denmark banning Marmite.
    :eek: Philistines!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    70's Newcy Brown ad

A groom returns to the table on his stag night.........

"Wheres the honeymoon then?"
    "Costa Brava"
    "COSTA BRAVA!, how long for?"
    "Fourteen days"
    "FOURTEEN DAYS!!, you'll never last oot man"
    "Aye"
    "Nah, theres no Newcastle Broon oot there"
    cuts to groom on pub phone
    "Beryl, its aboot the honeymoon pet, how aboot Whitly Bay. Beryl!, BERYL!"
    Forum Member
    ericos wrote: »
    70's Newcy Brown ad

"Costa Brava"
    "Fourteen days"
    "Aye"

.....if she’s so unreasonable he’s better off without her; .....good riddance, I say. ;-)
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nukie brown has been shite for decades - just like old percluir.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    ericos wrote: »
    70's Newcy Brown ad

"Costa Brava"
    "Fourteen days"
    "Aye"
    I'd be surprised if the pubs of Coasta anywhere in Spain didn't sell, Newcy, Carling, John Smiths and Full English breakfasts.

They'd do no business otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    ....hope you are still with us Egg! :o ;-)

Roll on next weekend ............;-)
    Forum Member
    Roll on next weekend ............;-)

...phew....been worried all day! :)