BBC showing films multiple times a year

harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes, I assume this has a money-saving financial motive, but it's irritating.

Tonight on BBC2 they are showing the (very excellent) The Magdelene Sisters, but it was last on BBC2 in March. Last night's Talented Mr Ripley was also on in the same month the day before.

They seem to do this quite a lot with films like the channels that have boring, rolling content on autopilot.

The other thing is the scheduling of good old films at the crack of dawn on a Saturday. So you have to get up at 06.00 if you want to see a good film, but you can have a nice lie-in if you only want to watch a double-bill of Homes under the Hammer or a marathon of cooking programmes.

Comments

• A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV are also showing films over and over again like Bond, Skyfall was on twice in a week in peak time, it's the way rights are sold, you gave a time period to show it so they get there monies worth.

For the early morning films you could record them and have a lie in.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years back the BBC seemed to show Deep Impact every couple of months for some reason.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. No one's forcing to watch a film that's been on before / recently.
    2. Early morning showing? Record it and watch at your convinience, say, when they're showing a film that's been on recently.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that it's less that it's irritating and more that they are doing the license payer a disservice when there is a huge back catalogue of great films from over the decades which are rarely seen anymore.

The BBC is not supposed to be a populist ratings chasing channel. There is quality which can be shown but just isn't. Unless their definition of quality means films which are just in their eyes modern.

The Talented Mr Ripley is a quality film, but it's shown relatively frequently, while there are hundreds of great films which just aren't shown anymore, if ever.

ITV are more guilty, by far. But they are a commercial channel and can do what they want. People can just go elsewhere. But with the BBC you still have to pay a license fee even if you choose to not watch it.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's sky, monetising films and charging high prices for subscriptions, which has made it impossible for the bbc to show the extremely wide range of films it used to ? Not to mention the other broadcasters .......
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Films are sold in packages of transmissions by film studios and distributors.

If a broadcaster doesn't use them all they've literally just tipped the money in a pit and set it on fire.

So understandably, they don't.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meet The Parents is always on
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some channels seem to show the same film every night.
  • KekebearKekebear Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    All I can think is that they are blowing off the cobwebs on the films before they can show the premieres at Christmas.
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I really enjoy the early morning films on BBC Two every Saturday morning. Since they introduced this slot in Jan 2013, I've loved watching them. This slot seems mostly dedicated to the BBC's RKO library where you will find most of these films on Sat morning's although I've noticed especially this year they are also showing other movies from Columbia studios and even some newer films (they shown a film called 'Evening' from 2007 a couple of Saturday's ago for instance).

When you look on the BBC Gnome website however you will notice the BBC had access to movies from the major studios such as MGM, Universal and Warner Brothers back in the 1990's and even into the 2000's as well. The film choices on BBC Two were amazing back then with many old gems being shown including regular films featuring Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello and the Marx Brothers. But the BBC lost the rights to all of these and the movies from the major studios, possibly because Sky and TCM now have the rights. It's a shame though as the Sat morning film slot is just crying out for those Humphrey Bogart classics and Laurel & Hardy shorts and films :)

The BBC emailed me back in 2014 in response to a letter I wrote them at the time regarding their RKO selection and they advised/confirmed they have a limited library of films so they can't always show old films on a Sat morning, although the Sat morning films have been pretty consistent so far in 2016.

Hopefully the BBC will get more film options available to them one day, perhaps when they have more money to spend on such content. Perhaps this is part of the problem or perhaps the main problem - funding! The BBC are limited in what they can buy these days and they are implementing cost savings all over the schedules lately. One day when all this is over the BBC will be able to pay more money to films and classic TV series like they used to in 1990's. Here's hoping :)
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,169
    Forum Member
    I am old enough to remember when the RKO library were the first films to be shown on the BBC back in 1956.

When ITV opened in September 1955 they began showing the Warner Brothers library.

Then when BBC 2 opened in 1964 we got the Paramount library, which really was exciting, but Paramount are now owned by Universal, and we don't get to see them anymore. Fortunately, I recorded most of my favourite films from 1978 onwards, at a time when there was a wide selection of films to choose from.