• Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    This week's new releases.

Windlands (25th)
    Tethered (25th)
    Weeping Doll (27th)
    Carnival Games VR (28th)

Might get Holoball and Space Slam this week as well if the studios/Sony can get their acts together.

I haven't looked up. Videos but Carnival games sounds interesting.

And I picked up Battlefront for a tenner in Asia Belfast earlier in the week. Looking forward to the VR section on that.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I haven't looked up. Videos but Carnival games sounds interesting.

And I picked up Battlefront for a tenner in Asia Belfast earlier in the week. Looking forward to the VR section on that.

Carnival Games on the Wii reviewed badly but had a massive fanbase. It's $20 IIRC so could well be worth a punt.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the carnival game is good. My most played VR game up to now is London Heist and that's just for the shooting ranges, so bring on more shooting rangey type stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems like Driveclub VR is getting PS4 Pro support after all. The game's lead tweeted "We haven't harnessed the full power of the PS4 Pro, but there will be a few more visual details enabled."

It needs a resolution boost more than anything though.
  • Options
    SamGamgeeSamGamgee Posts: 1,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    I hope the carnival game is good. My most played VR game up to now is London Heist and that's just for the shooting ranges, so bring on more shooting rangey type stuff.

Starting to get worrying that people seem more interested in the party games
  • Options
    mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People talking about V2 of the VR but in honesty I think most devs are feeling their way into this; I'm more excited about round 2 of the games, perhaps a year down the line.

Especially as they get to grips with the Pro's power, and used to the tech and the different ideas involved, I expect the games to jump up in content and delivery quite a bit.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mojobrew wrote: »
    People talking about V2 of the VR but in honesty I think most devs are feeling their way into this; I'm more excited about round 2 of the games, perhaps a year down the line.

Especially as they get to grips with the Pro's power, and used to the tech and the different ideas involved, I expect the games to jump up in content and delivery quite a bit.

Sony have a big, big call to make in terms of a V2 of VR.

If, as expected, we see another new iteration of the Playstation around 2018/2019, will the PSVR be compatible with it? Or will you need to buy a new PSVR to work with it?

Asking people to spend over £400 (realistically) on an accessory is a hard sell. Asking people to spend that amount of money on technology that theoretically could be completely obsolete and unsupported within only two to three years is something else entirely. Asking them to spend over £350 on a new console again and then the same amount of money on yet another accessory for that new console is uncharted territory in terms of what Sony believes the consumer will buy into.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't played on mine for a week now, admittedly most of this is due to BF1 coming out and taking up all my game time. But I am feeling the initial wow factor has blown off and I'm struggling to get inspired by what's available. The technology in fun, but the games currently out aren't holding my attention at all (I have nothing that I've loaded up a second time). Looking at the near future (up to Chrimbo) there really isn't anything great coming out on the VR :( I wish I'd held off my purchase now.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tethered is getting very good reviews at the moment.

http://pureplaystation.com/review-tethered-ps4psvr/2016/10/
    http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/10/25/tethered-review/

oh - and 10% off for PS+ (£24.99/£22.49)
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Tethered is getting very good reviews at the moment.

http://pureplaystation.com/review-tethered-ps4psvr/2016/10/
    http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/10/25/tethered-review/

oh - and 10% off for PS+ (£24.99/£22.49)

Bought it. It is good. Doesn't play on the wow factor just a game you play with you eyes. I think these games have legs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My PlayStation VR just had its "Wii moment" at my place. Had family round for my daughter's birthday. Finishing the evening with my Mum (61), Sister, Brother-in-law and Nephew having an absolute riot on Playroom VR along with me and my kids.

That's at least 1 more PSVR on someone's Christmas list. My Mum described it as "unreal" Yet again, you have to try it to "get" it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My PlayStation VR just had its "Wii moment" at my place. Had family round for my daughter's birthday. Finishing the evening with my Mum (61), Sister, Brother-in-law and Nephew having an absolute riot on Playroom VR along with me and my kids.

That's at least 1 more PSVR on someone's Christmas list. My Mum described it as "unreal" Yet again, you have to try it to "get" it.

I was hoping for more than just party games though. At the moment these are the only ones that attract me. Cockpit or driving make me feel dodgy and others like Rez whilst looking good are still just arcade games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamGamgee wrote: »
    I was hoping for more than just party games though. At the moment these are the only ones that attract me. Cockpit or driving make me feel dodgy and others like Rez whilst looking good are still just arcade games.

You may scoff at "party games" but one of the biggest concerns about VR was how it would be an isolating experience. By introducing the Social Screen and utilising asymmetric gameplay, PSVR has proven that is certainly not the case while simultaneously opening up new possibilities for both competitive and co-operative local gameplay.

The the meantime there's a raft of other genres you can try. SUPERHYPERCUBE is a nice puzzler, Tethered for strategy, Bound is a great platformer, Volume is a stealth game....
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may scoff at "party games" but one of the biggest concerns about VR was how it would be an isolating experience. By introducing the Social Screen and utilising asymmetric gameplay, PSVR has proven that is certainly not the case while simultaneously opening up new possibilities for both competitive and co-operative local gameplay.

The the meantime there's a raft of other genres you can try. SUPERHYPERCUBE is a nice puzzler, Tethered for strategy, Bound is a great platformer, Volume is a stealth game....

People will scoff at party games because they've been through the same scenario already with the Wii which was quickly 'forgotten' by gamers and developers.
    Not encouraged by the Wii comparisons at all. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    People will scoff at party games because they've been through the same scenario already with the Wii which was quickly 'forgotten' by gamers and developers.
    Not encouraged by the Wii comparisons at all. :(

Wii didn't die from a surfeit of party games. It's died from a lack of everything else. That's not a problem that PSVR appears to have.
  • Options
    ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have my PS4 Pro Bundled with PSVR ordered and cant wait till 10th to finally get back to playing some games
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen some good comments about Windlands on Reddit. One guy said he'd never felt anything like it when playing a game before. Seems to play on a fear of heights and I'm very tempted to get it, I just wish every VR had a demo so we could at least check how much motion sickness it might or might not cause.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen some good comments about Windlands on Reddit. One guy said he'd never felt anything like it when playing a game before. Seems to play on a fear of heights and I'm very tempted to get it, I just wish every VR had a demo so we could at least check how much motion sickness it might or might not cause.

Thats the other big concern. Reviews couldnt tell you as its very personal when it comes to sickness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm perfectly fine with Driveclub (which lots of people seem to have a problem with) but Windlands gave me the VR sweats. Had to stop playing at EGX.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Battlezone has been patched ready for PS4 Pro support

- Increased super-sampling resolution
    - Improved dynamic lighting in the cockpit
    - Increased resolution for reflections

Also, inproved clarity for particle effects in both versions of the game.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried kitchen demo. I found it really quite disturbing. The bound hands about the same as the pad. I actually was weirded out by my leg not hurting. I don't know what the full thing would be like.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Tried kitchen demo. I found it really quite disturbing. The bound hands about the same as the pad. I actually was weirded out by my leg not hurting. I don't know what the full thing would be like.

The weird twisted mind job, like what your describing is what interests me about VR :D

Thats what I want from the games, not playing a shooters in glorified 3D, but sensory overloads.... thats got to be the future of VR
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »

I found the poor graphics on this very immersion breaking. Yes I got a fright but the pixelated faces took me out.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamGamgee wrote: »
    I found the poor graphics on this very immersion breaking. Yes I got a fright but the pixelated faces took me out.

Didn't for me. The immersion overwhelmed the pixelation, which I didn't particularly notice on first playthrough.

ETA; I suppose it's all down to willing suspension of disbelief. If you go into expecting to be scared rather than focusing on technichal elements. Or like watching a film and noticing the flaws, film stock and goofs rather than the plot, style and effectiveness.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum played on the VR yesterday evening and she said it was amazing. It was very funny to watch because she did ocean decent and ended up holding onto the chair in case she fell down.
    I think scrap the gaming and make easy experiences for people who have money i.e those over 45 without children or children that have left home. My mum said shed get on if she could lay down on a lounger put her headset on and just sit on a beach and watch the world go by. Simple pleasures I suppose.