The Magnificent Seven (2016)

HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else going to see this?

I love a good Western. Haven't seen the original, Seven Samurai, but love the 1960 version with Yul Bryner and Charles Bronson.

Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt star.

Trailer here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEC3a-LuCc

Comments

• RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Anyone else going to see this?

I love a good Western. Haven't seen the original, Seven Samurai, but love the 1960 version with Yul Bryner and Charles Bronson.

Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt star.
    Trailer here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEC3a-LuCc

Way to much of this pair in the trailer, we barely see any of the other 5 at all...
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadful, hopefully it goes the same way as the recent pathetic attempt at Ben-Hur.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Pratt should stick to comedy, he ain't no action man type, just keep thinking of Parks & Rec when I see him.
  • St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    let me guess, they're all women
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To not at least reference the iconic music from the original is just mystifying. Instead we get some shitty rap-pop rubbish. If D'Onofrio gets any fatter even Super-Panavision won't be wide enough to contain his girth.

Pass.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    Chris Pratt should stick to comedy, he ain't no action man type, just keep thinking of Parks & Rec when I see him.

That's such a bizarre thing to say...an actor is a actor.

Simply because they have a hit with a comedy movie or TV show does not define them as a comedy actor.

Steve Carell, for example.

Jim Carrey...other way round I know, but same principle.

Robin Williams. To name but a few.

You need to learn to be a bit more tolerant, rather than insisting an actor should only stick to the one thing you happen to be familiar with.

Pratt is still in the early stages of his career, far too soon to be pigeonholing him as a 'comedy actor'.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    Okay lets see here... the acting ability and star power of

Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn, Charles Bronson Eli Wallach ect...

VS

Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke, Chris Pratt, Vincent D'Onofrio, Peter Sarsggard, Matt Bomer ect..

I'll stick with Seven Samurai.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    St Dabeoc wrote: »
    let me guess, they're all women

A gender swap would be more interesting than watching Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke phoning it in for some quick cash.

If it was say, off the top of my head: Sigourney Weaver, Charlize Theron, Halle Berry, Zoe Saldana, Lucy Lawless, Uma Thurman, Rosario Dawson.

I'd watch that.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Okay lets see here... the acting ability and star power of

Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn, Charles Bronson Eli Wallach ect...

VS

Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke, Chris Pratt, Vincent D'Onofrio, Peter Sarsggard, Matt Bomer ect..

I'll stick with Seven Samurai.

i would say denzel etc have much better acting ability than the other lot. they were more movie stars who played to type.

i'm not saying this film will be better, just that i would say denzel, peter s and vincent d'onofrio (and ethan hawke actually) are better actors than steve mcqueen, yul brynner etc
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like quite a few Westerns, but I'm not keen on The Magnificent Seven. Great cast and music, but I find it far too preachy for my tastes. Don't like the look of this new version, either.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got bored halfway through the trailer, can't remember last time that happened.
  • St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    A gender swap would be more interesting than watching Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke phoning it in for some quick cash.

If it was say, off the top of my head: Sigourney Weaver, Charlize Theron, Halle Berry, Zoe Saldana, Lucy Lawless, Uma Thurman, Rosario Dawson.

I'd watch that.

Me too. But which one would be bald?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably all are already ! :D
  • Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the look of this. I enjoy a good western, like the actors in the roles and love the original.

I also really tire of the pretension of so many that when mentioning the Magnificent Seven (1960) always have to reference that it was aping The Seven Samurai, as if that makes it a lesser film.

Kurosawa had said that when making the Seven Samurai he was wanting to ape the westerns of John Ford, so they are all interconnected.

It always just seems the fall back of some beard rubbing film snob to belittle the Yul Bryner movie and signal their amazing cinema knowledge.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I like the look of this. I enjoy a good western, like the actors in the roles and love the original.

I also really tire of the pretension of so many that when mentioning the Magnificent Seven (1960) always have to reference that it was aping The Seven Samurai, as if that makes it a lesser film.

Kurosawa had said that when making the Seven Samurai he was wanting to ape the westerns of John Ford, so they are all interconnected.

It always just seems the fall back of some beard rubbing film snob to belittle the Yul Bryner movie and signal their amazing cinema knowledge.
    I think what this type of twerp might be trying to imply is that The Seven Samurai is, like, art/'real' cinema and The Magnificent Seven simply Hollywood/entertainment or something equally dismissive.

Which is nonsense of course, because it's all art one way or another.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well it's been given 2 out of 5 by Empire which isn't a good start as I was looking forward to this film!
  • SupersoulSupersoul Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    To not at least reference the iconic music from the original is just mystifying. Instead we get some shitty rap-pop rubbish. If D'Onofrio gets any fatter even Super-Panavision won't be wide enough to contain his girth.

Pass.

Was tempted as it's a western, but will wait for the reviews. The quality ones, not the ones in the Sun or Heat magazine.

You could be right re D'Onofrio. He is even too fat to play Orson Welles any more. That takes some doing.
  • Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    When I saw the trailer to this I wasn't too impressed by it. They should have brought in someone that has already been established in making good western already to direct this, like the guy that did Tombstone.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I saw the trailer to this I wasn't too impressed by it. They should have brought in someone that has already been established in making good western already to direct this, like the guy that did Tombstone.

I agree on principal, Fuqua is a kind of workmanlike director at best.

But George P Cosmatos? Nope.

Agreed Tombstone was a great western...but it always bothered me that Cosmatos had made some trashy though popular movies both before and after this one, such as Cobra, Rambo 2, Cassandra Crossing, Shadow Conspiracy, somehow seemed odd that he suddenly pulled this off.

And as it turns out there is much speculation that there were problems on set and behind the scenes, and Kurt Russell, along with an uncredited Kevin Jarre, actually directed most of the movie.

Another clincher for me is I attended a special screening at the NFT of Leviathan, another of Cosmatos films some years back, and there was a Q and A afterwards with a guy called Mike Valentine, the underwater cameraman. He really laid into Cosmatos and talked of lots of problems and disagreements on set.
  • Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I agree on principal, Fuqua is a kind of workmanlike director at best.

But George P Cosmatos? Nope.

Agreed Tombstone was a great western...but it always bothered me that Cosmatos had made some trashy though popular movies both before and after this one, such as Cobra, Rambo 2, Cassandra Crossing, Shadow Conspiracy, somehow seemed odd that he suddenly pulled this off.

And as it turns out there is much speculation that there were problems on set and behind the scenes, and Kurt Russell, along with an uncredited Kevin Jarre, actually directed most of the movie.

Another clincher for me is I attended a special screening at the NFT of Leviathan, another of Cosmatos films some years back, and there was a Q and A afterwards with a guy called Mike Valentine, the underwater cameraman. He really laid into Cosmatos and talked of lots of problems and disagreements on set.

Thanks for that insight, I was not aware of all of that. Be interesting to hear the commentary on the film and see what Cosmatos says on it. I guess another gripe I would have on this new film though is casting, they could have done better I'm sure? I mean, Josh Brolin, Timothy Olyphant, keep Denzel, Mads Mikkelsen, maybe keep Hawke. Can't think of anyone else at the moment but with those guys it would change the tone of the film.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member

That might have been tricky as he died in 2005.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing this tomorrow. Hope it's decent.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually quite enjoyed it. It started to drag a bit after the town agreed to help fight, but apart from that, it was entertaining.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    It was awful, 4/10 - high point, the end credit music plus Hayley Bennett.

Chris Pratt - one hit wonder.
  • Society619Society619 Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    The biggest critics of The Magnificent Seven will be fans of the original, that doesn’t mean this film doesn’t have what it takes to stand on its own. The Magnificent Seven is an amazing and fun action western that audiences will enjoy and may even draw them to watch the 1960 film if they haven’t already seen it. The film is charming and crowd pleasing. There are many great aspects that I don’t even want to spoil for you, that how much I recommend it. Brutal, Funny, Entertaining, and filled with High Octane action, this film is another slamdunk in the genre of westerns.

https://society-reviews.com/2016/09/24/the-magnificent-seven-review/