Has PSVR been missold?

muntamunta Posts: 18,285
Forum Member
✭✭
Let me offer as evidence the Driveclub VR video on PSN Store

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/driveclub-vr/cid=EP9000-CUSA03296_00-XXXXXDRIVECLUBVR?utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=SIEE_Paid_Search_Store_Acquisition&utm_source=Google&utm_term=ps-we-5-89521&utm_content=Mediacom_Paid_Seach_Acquisition_PlayStation_Store_EMEAR_Always_ON_Google&emcid=ps-we-5-89521

Now, unless I'm mistaken the quality of DC VR in my headset nowhere close to the quality of the video in the link. Is it wrong to expect that a video advertising a game actually uses video from the game?

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That footage is from standard DC, not the VR version.

Naughty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »

INVASION! is a VR short movie first shown at Canne and available on a number of formats through Within. They've just shoved on the default trailer probably taken from the original renders and used to promote all versions. Lazy, but not deceptive IMHO.
  • chubstachubsta Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I think that is an excellent point - all the footage and pictures leading up to the release of the vr has shown crystal clear graphics, and that is what I was expecting, not pixelated images.

Using images from the tv version of DC VR for the VR version is deliberately trying mislead as to the quality you will see.

I woulntd have bought vr if I had known the graphics are as rough as they are, would have waited for the next-gen of vr instead
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    It is a bit cheeky, but is it different from other ads of games that show footage that isn't gameplay footage ?

I think it's cheeky, but I wouldn't call it mis-selling.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    It is a bit cheeky, but is it different from other ads of games that show footage that isn't gameplay footage ?

I think it's cheeky, but I wouldn't call it mis-selling.
    I don't know. I have yet to see Sony release a single video of what the PSVR actually looks like. given that it is effectively a new platform you would expect some real life footage.
    Forum Member
    the important bit here is the use of the term 'screenshot' - by using that they are saying this is what you will see on the vr screen, when it plainly isn't.

Most tv adverts for games have the disclaimer 'not actual gameplay footage' but in this case we are being led to believe that we will get high-def images....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know. I have yet to see Sony release a single video of what the PSVR actually looks like. given that it is effectively a new platform you would expect some real life footage.

They released loads through PlayStation Access
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They released loads through PlayStation Access

This is hardly the same thing at all.

No Man's Sky was - rather harshly IMO - ripped to shreds for similar tactics, such as using the E3 reveal video to advertise the final product. If you thought that was wrong, then you have to be consistent.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres no way to show psvr as it really is because its immersive You have to leave the graphics and enjoy the whole experience. I dont ferl its been missold far from it. Id say it has been undersold.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres no way to show psvr as it really is because its immersive You have to leave the graphics and enjoy the whole experience. I dont ferl its been missold far from it. Id say it has been undersold.

The problem is that many developers and publishers are trying to promote VR titles (in general, not just PSVR) by showing the non VR screenshots and misleading consumers on the graphical fidelity.

It's pretty dishonest on the whole - because you can't maintain the same sort of graphical fidelity in VR, especially if you want to reduce the effects of VR-induced sickness.

The only title that I've seen (and played) that comes close to what has been advertised is Battlezone by the guys at Rebellion. Rather than just kludging an existing title to fit into VR, they designed the whole thing around VR and it's absolutely brilliant.

I'd buy a PSVR for that alone if I weren't so canny with my money.
    Forum Member

If that is the case then why are the developers and Sony so reluctant to show the actual graphics you will see? Every image i have seen of VR has shown high-definition graphics, whereas every game i have played is basically PS1 graphics.

Of course you are right in that the immersion is a big factor, i love Eve Gunjack, in fact it is far superior to Eve Valkyrie due to its simplicity, the Kitchen demo is great, Battlezone works really well, but surely no-one can be happy with the difference in graphics in DriveClub between what we are shown by Sony and what we see in the game? For me, DC is the biggest disappointment, with the rough graphics destroying any sense of immersion.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    The problem is that there is no way to accurately show the game as it looks through the VR headset as the overall graphical quality/look is determined by the display & there's no way to truly show that.

Even the stuff you see been streamed & captured via the PS4 share button or an external capture box isn't representative of what the user is seeing through the headset as the PS4 is displaying it on the TV as a lower resolution than whats been sent to the headset.

They may be using standard versions of the game for advertising & promo stuff but they have always been very open about the resolution & quality been lower through the headset & everyone that has used any of the VR headsets over the past few years has always mentioned that as well.

Given how the only people that are likely to be getting VR headsets are the one's that have been folling the tech for a while & are going to know what there getting I honestly don't see it as that much of a problem.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just out of interest, what are the graphics like compared to Google Cardboard and Gear VR? I've heard some reports saying marginally better than the former and only on a par with the latter!
  • scott26985scott26985 Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im very disappointed with it. All the reviews raved about it but Im finding the picture to be very low quality and blurry.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think its impossible to release footage of what it actually looks like. Its not just about resolution.