No E3 Press Conference for Nintendo this year

2»

Comments

• MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, the only difference is that instead of watching Nintendo on stage at E3 stream, I'll be watching a Nintendo Direct stream. All the announcements I was looking forward to - Smash Bros, etc - will all still be there, almost certainly during the same week.

Those people arguing that Nintendo has no games to show are also arguing that games like the first full Pokemon without sprites, Monolith's X, Wind Waker Reborn, A Link To The Past 2, Mario Luigi RPG, localisations of Bravely Default and EarthBound plus everything they've shown in a Direct since last E3 wouldn't make for an amazing conference. Nintendo have plenty to show. They're just showing it in their own way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me but i'm not quite getting the arguments some people are making for why it does matter or is a good thing Nintendo aren't at E3

I mean people can list of games all day that nintendo are making and will show at a nintendo direct

But the question i'm finding myself unable to answer and haven't seen a good answer from anyone on this thread

If nintendo don't believe they have games that are good enough to stand up and be shown against what Sony and Microsoft are offering, then why should i believe that the games are worth buying at all

I own both a WiiU and 3DS and this fills me with so much dread that the WiiU was a huge waste of money, come christmas i'll own a PS4 and judging by nintendo's actions, the WiiU could be going towards paying for it
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is Nintendo Direct?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    What is Nintendo Direct?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19960549.jpg

Nintendo Direct is host to presentations that Nintendo do via their website http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Latest-Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-698557.html
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Whether they are interested or not in Nintendo Direct is irrelevant if they don't know about it.

It's the big conferences that get all the attention.

Sony's PS4 launch made the likes of Sky News, as has news of Microsofts impending event. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen Kay Burley talking about Nintendo Direct.

It's no good Nintendo keep preaching to the converted. They need to reach the public.

Nintendo has been around longer then E3 ;) There was no big conference to sell the NES, SNES or Game Boy. It was done by a combination of good products/marketing and more importantly word of mouth. Big conferences don't nesccessary make headlines or result in sells, it's the company's reputation of coming up with good products. Apple only have a press conference at their own event or on thier terms, they do not form a part of CES.

Similarly, Samsung, which is overtaking Apple in the smartphone race, have their own press conferences, in which most Samsung buyers don't know about.

Also it's the 'converted' that watch E3 press conferences anyway, the rest of the 'casuals' catch on later, through what they see in the marketplace environment.

Finally, Nintendo are not the sort of company to conform to what MSFT/Sony does as a result in gaming content. They will always put more focus on thier first party output, rather than concentrate too much on accquiring third party support. I think that's their real problem, but it's not one that a single press conference can fix.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Chparmar wrote: »
    They will always put more focus on thier first party output, rather than concentrate too much on accquiring third party support.
    That's one thing that is part of the problem though as its all very well them having more focus on their first party output, but looking back at Wii the first party software was severely lacking.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »

I guessed it was something like the Playstation access videos from Sony but I hadn't really heard about it until now.

I lost interest in Nintendo after the Wii release yet I have continued to watch their E3 presentations each year. I wont be watching what they have to say this year I guess
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Forgive me but i'm not quite getting the arguments some people are making for why it does matter or is a good thing Nintendo aren't at E3

I mean people can list of games all day that nintendo are making and will show at a nintendo direct

But the question i'm finding myself unable to answer and haven't seen a good answer from anyone on this thread

If nintendo don't believe they have games that are good enough to stand up and be shown against what Sony and Microsoft are offering, then why should i believe that the games are worth buying at all

I own both a WiiU and 3DS and this fills me with so much dread that the WiiU was a huge waste of money, come christmas i'll own a PS4 and judging by nintendo's actions, the WiiU could be going towards paying for it

...but they are at E3(despite the click bait headlines many websites have run with).

They have the same size booths, the same floorspace as usual, a more hassle free hands on for the gaming press....and they also still have a conference in the same theatre as every other year.

The only change is their live conference is being aimed exclusively at retail,analysts and industry partners ...not the public.

...instead the public will be getting the announcements in a different format.

In a way what Nintendo is being the most inclusive as while the other conferences will be purely aimed at the English speaking gamers and journalists initially, Nintendo's announcement videos will go out worldwide at the same time in English,French,Spanish,Italian, Japanese and a bunch of other languages.

You'll get the same news, the same hands on demos at the same time as usual...you just won't get people being paid to cheer in a set up crowd, cringeworthy people stumbling over their words with the presenting skills of a kipper..or live demos that won't work due to too many people in the audience using wifi. :D
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I guessed it was something like the Playstation access videos from Sony but I hadn't really heard about it until now.

No, it's different from Playstation Access, Access is a extention from a Playstation magazine format.

Nintendo Direct is intented as direct communication from the CEO and other Nintendo execs to the consumer. It's actually much more focussed than the annual E3 press conference, where execs have been confused where to aim, to the press or the consumer.

Press conferences are for really just for the press, who write about these products for us to read. Nintendo is having a press conference for journalist and other industry partners this year at E3. But it will not be indented for us to see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »

Hardware is inherently more newsworthy than software, for obvious reasons. Nintendo could come out and announce that they were making a Zelda-Mario-Metroid crossover that gave out free money, and it still wouldn't take the attention away from new hardware.

Nintendo are into the next generation, and are playing a different game to their competitors. E3 press conferences work well for hardware, but less so for software They might even be counter-productive - if they put emphasis in the wrong place (easy to do in such a short timespan with uncontrollable variables), they risk underselling a good game, or overselling a bad one.

Targeted announcements have worked well for Nintendo thus far this year (look at how much press that January ND got; ditto the one last week), so it makes sense that they'd build their E3 strategy around that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I lost interest in Nintendo after the Wii release yet I have continued to watch their E3 presentations each year. I wont be watching what they have to say this year I guess

I lost interest after the Gamecube.
  • TheCrackInTimeTheCrackInTime Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Callous wrote: »
    ...but they are at E3(despite the click bait headlines many websites have run with).

They have the same size booths, the same floorspace as usual, a more hassle free hands on for the gaming press....and they also still have a conference in the same theatre as every other year.

The only change is their live conference is being aimed exclusively at retail,analysts and industry partners ...not the public.

...instead the public will be getting the announcements in a different format.

In a way what Nintendo is being the most inclusive as while the other conferences will be purely aimed at the English speaking gamers and journalists initially, Nintendo's announcement videos will go out worldwide at the same time in English,French,Spanish,Italian, Japanese and a bunch of other languages.

You'll get the same news, the same hands on demos at the same time as usual...you just won't get people being paid to cheer in a set up crowd, cringeworthy people stumbling over their words with the presenting skills of a kipper..or live demos that won't work due to too many people in the audience using wifi. :D

^^^ This.

I really don't get why people are making such a big deal out of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ This.

I really don't get why people are making such a big deal out of it.
    Because they're admitting they cannot compete with the other stuff that will be happening at E3.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    Because they're admitting they cannot compete with the other stuff that will be happening at E3.

Pretty much this.

The main press in the US (and a lot overseas - including Digital Spy) focus on the big three press conferences to gain their main bulletpoint headlines.

A lot of the media organisations will not cover those meetings that Nintendo have said they are still going to do. By not having the main press conference, Nintendo have given up a ton of mainstream publicity to Microsoft and Sony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    Pretty much this.

The main press in the US (and a lot overseas - including Digital Spy) focus on the big three press conferences to gain their main bulletpoint headlines.

A lot of the media organisations will not cover those meetings that Nintendo have said they are still going to do. By not having the main press conference, Nintendo have given up a ton of mainstream publicity to Microsoft and Sony.
    They're still having it - but behind closed doors.

And it will be 'select' press, but the show floor will be open to all who attend.

So for me - that is a major sign that they've admitted defeat this year.

The reason being that, they're still holding a conference, just to some select people. So if you're still holding something - why not also show it to the public?

Answer - they want to do it at Nintendo Direct events at a time where they won't have to compete with PS4 and 720, knowing that they won't be able to match what the other two are doing.