Options

Noise: Cd players

anyone got any tips on Noisy CD players?

Whats up:

Sony player

When you play a CD there is so much noise being generated in the player in the spinning process. That if you listen late At night turn the music right down. The spinning process is as loud as the music. Its quite annoying Especially if you love classical music. now this dose not happen on All CDs

anyone else had this annoyance.. is there a cure..

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are several reasons why this could happen.

It is most likely mechanical noise caused by the disk spinning. If the disk wobbles slightly as it spins it can easily catch against the mechanism. This could be a badly manufactured CD or one with a stick on label that is not precisely applied causing an imbalance.

The other possibility is the clamp that holds the disk against the motor spindle. When you insert a disk the motor spindle lifts the disk clear of the tray from underneath and a clamp drops down from the top to hold the disk in place. If the clamp does not apply enough pressure or does not spin freely then that could cause the disk to make a noise.

If the disk is catching the tray or other internal parts then you should see a regular pattern of scratches on all the disks.

To fix it might well involve stripping the machine down to get at the disk mechanism. Then you would have to try and locate a source of spare parts if it is a mechanical fault with the mechanism. Provided parts are available any mechanical fault should be fixable.

it could even be something as simple as a build up of gunge or something like an old bit of torn disk label stuck inside that is catching the disks as they spin. So a good clean up might do the trick. use Isopropyl Alcohol (get it from Maplin or try a Chemist shop) as that cleans up pretty well and tends not to leave any residue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks For that Chris great response: cheers

one question always intrigued me about CD players

Sorry i might be out of depth here in this question so bare with me

If you take two recorded music CDs one say has 25 songs on it and one has 8 Say.

Do both Cd's play at the same internal speed to actually play the Cd's.

In other words to put the question another way. Dose the player have to work any harder to play 25 songs than say 8 songs in the actual spinning.

Hope this dose not sound to complicated.

Why I ask this is You here some cd's going round at a hell of a rate.. and others no noise at all..
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that affects spin speed is where the laser is. The disk spin speed slows as the laser moves out towards the edge of the disk. This is because the data is recorded as a spiral from the inside of the disk to the outside. It uses Constant Linear Velocity to ensure that each cm of that spiral takes exactly the same time to pass over the laser.

Obviously at the inside of the disk the circumference is smaller so it takes a shorter time to rotate than at the outside edge where the circumference is much greater. The CD starts out spinning at nearly 500 RPM slowing to just over 200RPM at the outside edge of the disk.

So if the songs fill the entire disk the last track will spin the disk a bit under half the speed of the first track. So it's not how many tracks that count but how long they are and hence how far away from the centre of the disk the laser gets to as it plays them.

But regardless, if one disk has 10 minutes of recording and the second has 70minutes they will both spin the disk at the same rate for the first 10 minutes at least.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again most interesting Chris Thank you for explaining that:

May I ask you another Question Please? On the subject of music rotation. When i was 20 had my Bush arena hi Fi with My Garrard sp25 mark3 deck.

Those were the days 1970 that was. I Was convinced and still am in my mind OK.. (Your love this) I'm probably totally wrong

That when you play vinyl record a LP The recording quality to me The sound degenerates as the arm gets near the centre of the disc.

So the first three tracks of the albums always to me. Sounded better than the last couple of tunes. I convinced myself of this after playing many albums.

Now is there any substance in this theory or was it me having a funny moment.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again most interesting Chris Thank you for explaining that:

May I ask you another Question Please? On the subject of music rotation. When i was 20 had my Bush arena hi Fi with My Garrard sp25 mark3 deck.

Those were the days 1970 that was. I Was convinced and still am in my mind OK.. (Your love this) I'm probably totally wrong

That when you play vinyl record a LP The recording quality to me The sound degenerates as the arm gets near the centre of the disc.

So the first three tracks of the albums always to me. Sounded better than the last couple of tunes. I convinced myself of this after playing many albums.

It's true the outer tracks have a faster linear velocity (as the disc rotates at a constant speed) so at least in theory the high frequency response will be higher as the same frequency will have longer wigggles on the outer tracks(technical term :D).

I knew Edison had something with his drum playback system :D
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

anyone else had this annoyance.. is there a cure..

The best way to alleviate any mechanical noise from a CD player? Get rid of the player :D

Though seriously have you considered putting your late night listening onto an mp3 player or something similar connected to a docking unit/amp?
  • Options
    orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think this is due to tracking error. As the stylus moves towards the centre of the record, it no longer sits square in the groove (as the record player arm moves in an arc). This causes distortion of the sound.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orchover wrote: »
    I think this is due to tracking error. As the stylus moves towards the centre of the record, it no longer sits square in the groove (as the record player arm moves in an arc). This causes distortion of the sound.

As you get closer to the centre of a record the frequency response drops off because the record (in contact with the stylus) is actually moving slower.

Tracking could play a part but ideally the arm would be set up to be neutral half way across, the S shape helps though there are (or were, don't know if there still are) parallel tracking arms.