✭✭✭
    That's good news. Well done France.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UIR wrote: »
    common sense....

Meanwhile 100s of millions of women continue to be oppressed by Muslim men and forced to wear burkas and Niqabs.

Logic.

Though I guess the 'Are muslims the new jews' thread can now be closed. As this was basically all it was based on....

The whole point of democratic Western societies is that we are better than theocratic dictatorships. Hopefully with the court ruling this has held a mirror up to those societies that do dictate what their women wear and will spark something there.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Good to see this law overturned. Knee jerk reactionary policies are never a good basis for actually tackling the issue of extremism.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    French mayors do not have the right to ban burkinis, the French Council of State ruled Friday, suspending the bans already in place in a number of French cities and towns.

Interesting. They only overturned the ban in Villeneuve-Loubet which iirc was the mayor who referenced "ostentatious religious clothing" so it will be interesting to see the full decision as article 8/9 has provisions that allow for restrictions based on safety/public disorder, health and moral reasons.
  • Options
    GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    Interesting. They only overturned the ban in Villeneuve-Loubet which iirc was the mayor who referenced "ostentatious religious clothing" so it will be interesting to see the full decision as article 8/9 has provisions that allow for restrictions based on safety/public disorder, health and moral reasons.
    It states,

Arguments in France's highest administrative court this week have focused on the southern town of Villeneuve-Loubet, near Nice. But the ruling affects cities across the country.

I think the last sentence is fairly conclusive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the last sentence is fairly conclusive.

It isn't a final ruling.
  • Options
    UIRUIR Posts: 2,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    The whole point of democratic Western societies is that we are better than theocratic dictatorships. Hopefully with the court ruling this has held a mirror up to those societies that do dictate what their women wear and will spark something there.

Unlikely.

Its basically saying we cant tell you to remove your chains because its oppresses you but your masters can force you to wear it.

Which seems odd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Burka remains banned in France though doesn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It isn't a final ruling.
    Just a matter of crossing the t's etc. The ink is as good as dry!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a matter of crossing the t's etc. The ink is as good as dry!

I don't know how you can say that considering, as far as i know, nobody has found the actual law in question nor the reasons behind the courts decision.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good news. It was a daft ban.
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure ISIS are following this with deep interest. I just hope they don't use female suicide bombers in burqas now as two fingers to France. God forbid and I hope the poster currently in France, Bar_mag I think? stays safe.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MinnieMinz wrote: »
    I'm sure ISIS are following this with deep interest. I just hope they don't use female suicide bombers in burqas now as two fingers to France. God forbid and I hope the poster currently in France, Bar_mag I think? stays safe.

This isn't about burkas. Not much room for a suicide vest in a burkini.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The burkha is still banned. It's the swimsuit or burkini which has had the ban overturned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They probably will. I suspect they find it all a bit of a joke and nothing more than infighting between French local and national governments.

Ideal for a death cult like ISIS to attack. we'll light a candle and stick a flag up on big ben. That'll sort it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know how you can say that considering, as far as i know, nobody has found the actual law in question nor the reasons behind the courts decision.
    Still fairly early yet as the news had only just broke when i posted but more is coming out now.

The Council of State, the highest court in the French administrative justice system, ruled that the ban, enacted by the town of Villeneuve-Loubet on Aug. 5, violated civil liberties.

At least 20 other municipalities, most of which are on the French Riviera, have imposed similar bans, and although the decision on Friday does not apply directly to them, it can be seen as a warning that their bans are likely to be similarly struck down if challenged in court. The largest such community is the city of Nice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/27/world/europe/france-burkini-ban.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

The court statement to the press is here.

https://twitter.com/reportedly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    This isn't about burkas. Not much room for a suicide vest in a burkini.
    DianaFire wrote: »
    The burkha is still banned. It's the swimsuit or burkini which has had the ban overturned.

I'm aware thanks both. My point was the sick bastards behind ISIS will use anything they can to get at the people of France, driving lorries into crowds of families, bombing cafes, sending killers in where people were watching a band, sending killers up onto a beach to slaughter people enjoying the sun with their families. They will think nothing of using this as some kind of propaganda to launch another attack.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm aware thanks both. My point was the sick bastards behind ISIS will use anything they can to get at the people of France, driving lorries into crowds of families, bombing cafes, sending killers in where people were watching a band, sending killers up onto a beach to slaughter people enjoying the sun with their families. They will think nothing of using this as some kind of propaganda to launch another attack.

This is sadly true, but they'd also think nothing of using the ban itself in the same way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now that the ban's been overturned they've missed their slot, so to speak. Not that they need an excuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    This is sadly true, but they'd also think nothing of using the ban itself in the same way.
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Now that the ban's been overturned they've missed their slot, so to speak. Not that they need an excuse.

I can see why the French people who supported this ban behaved the way they did, living in daily terror is the most scary thing I can think of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A French politician Christian Estrosi, the President of Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur has already thrown his toys out the pram and now threatening legal action against social media users for sharing photos of police enforcing a ban on the burkini. :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-threatens-sue-social-media-users-sharing-burkini-ban-photos-nice-christian-estrosi-a7208646.html
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To the likes of Isis the woman on the beach would be fair game as she was sitting amongst unclothed men and women and wasn't covering enough. The unpredictable nihilism of Isis is terrifying, I agree and I understand it's human nature to try and do something. But this wasn't it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    To the likes of Isis the woman on the beach would be fair game as she was sitting amongst unclothed men and women and wasn't covering enough. The unpredictable nihilism of Isis is terrifying, I agree and I understand it's human nature to try and do something. But this wasn't it.

I know it isn't my original post about being in two minds was because I understood where the French people were coming from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see why the French people who supported this ban behaved the way they did, living in daily terror is the most scary thing I can think of.

I can imagine the terror part after the atrocities, just not the terrified of a headscarf part. I think we'll have to agree to differ on that one.