Pocket Lint's Best 16 smartphones available to buy

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »

In my opinion the Note 2 and S4 should be higher and the Motorola Razr HD Maxx should be in there, not the standard model.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    No... But pocket lint not a site I'd pay huge attention to.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »

Because it didn't put the S4 at number 1? :D
    Forum Member
    Not sure why that would be a reason exactly nor do I know enough in practice to know if it warrants no.1 yet. I would say however that any site that considers the 4s as the 11th best smartphone when it had the s2 as a better option at the time or the 5s above the xperia Z a little unreliable.

You must be devastated your z10 isn't in there unless they have all been returned ;)
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Techradar's list is pretty similar to Pocket Lint's and seems ot be in line with what the tech reviewers generally think.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why that would be a reason exactly nor do I know enough in practice to know if it warrants no.1 yet. I would say however that any site that considers the 4s as the 11th best smartphone when it had the s2 as a better option at the time or the 5s above the xperia Z a little unreliable.

You must be devastated your z10 isn't in there unless they have all been returned ;)

I would be. If I even had a z10 to begin with! :p

It's an opinion, everyone is entitled to one. Doesn't make it unreliable. But is something which can be argued, depending on what you prefer in a phone.

Let's be honest, everyone is likely to have a different top 10, and different reasons why the choices were made.

Anyways nice to see the HTC One, getting praise. It's a great phone.
    Forum Member
    Very true but the comments I made are not really based on my opinion as such. I own a note 2 and my opinion would place that higher.

However objectively I think most would be of the opinion that the Z, one and s4 are all superior to the i5. Why is the s3 suddenly below the i5 after being considered better for so long?

Also the 4s is clearly not that high in the smartphone world as is simply a desire to have more than one iPhone in there. I would find it hard that anyone would struggle to name only 10 phones superior the the 4s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true but the comments I made are not really based on my opinion as such. I own a note 2 and my opinion would place that higher.

However objectively I think most would be of the opinion that the Z, one and s4 are all superior to the i5. Why is the s3 suddenly below the i5 after being considered better for so long?

Also the 4s is clearly not that high in the smartphone world as is simply a desire to have more than one iPhone in there. I would find it hard that anyone would struggle to name only 10 phones superior the the 4s.

Well I would agree with the I5 placing, it's hardly a step up on the 4s so it shouldn't really be that much higher. Better GPU and the stretched length is about it. Yet one is at 11 and the other is at 3.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.
    You just have to read one of their 'reviews' to tell they really aren't qualified to pass judgement.

Their review of the Note2 had something like one paragraph on the S-Pen, talked primarily about handwriting recognition (which the previous Note also offered) and then summed up all the other S-Pen functionality in a single throwaway line about it 'doing other stuff too'.
    Not a single mention of the new S-Pen features the Note2 had over the previous Note.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    In my opinion the Note 2 and S4 should be higher and the Motorola Razr HD Maxx should be in there, not the standard model.

I agree that the Maxx is better than the standard HD. But how can the S4 be any higher? The HTC One owns the S4 and is the best phone around.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    I agree that the Maxx is better than the standard HD. But how can the S4 be any higher? The HTC One owns the S4 and is the best phone around.

Proof?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »

What HTC have done well is that they have identified some key areas in which to improve and have done that. Important stuff, like sound, camera, display, touch responsiveness and UI experience. Instead of trying to give the user EVERYTHING ala Samsung, they have focused on a more refined experience and it's paying dividends right now.

So I guess sometimes it really is a case of less is more. Samsung, take note. :p
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What HTC have done well is that they have identified some key areas in which to improve and have done that. Important stuff, like sound, camera, display, touch responsiveness and UI experience. Instead of trying to give the user EVERYTHING ala Samsung, they have focused on a more refined experience and it's paying dividends right now.

Completely agreed they have drastically improved Sense 5. The sound is the best I have ever heard on a phone ever there partnership with beats audio seems to have paid of well. Where as the S4 has put a huge amount of software into there phone but none of it stands out and most of it not drastically useful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Completely agreed they have drastically improved Sense 5. The sound is the best I have ever heard on a phone ever there partnership with beats audio seems to have paid of well. Where as the S4 has put a huge amount of software into there phone but none of it stands out and most of it not drastically useful.

Problem is the custom UIs on non nexus phones are already heavy enough. Add a kitchen sink full of bundled software and it's going to weigh heavily on performance. What use is a shed load of apps if it's only going to slow down the user experience? Many people reporting lag on the s4. I think the top spot for the One is justified here. You don't deserve top spot on reputation alone you need to have a better product and I think this time HTC have got it right.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is the custom UIs on non nexus phones are already heavy enough. Add a kitchen sink full of bundled software and it's going to weigh heavily on performance. What use is a shed load of apps if it's only going to slow down the user experience? Many people reporting lag on the s4. I think the top spot for the One is justified here. You don't deserve top spot on reputation alone you need to have a better product and I think this time HTC have got it right.

Sorry I was trying to say that I think Sense 5 has got a lot closer to stock android and seems to run perfectly. I love blink feed it seems brilliantly useful if it could keep a cache it would be even better hope they fix that in a future update.
    Forum Member

So I guess sometimes it really is a case of less is more. Samsung, take note. :p

Don't confuse a review sites ranking with actual sales or a reading of what people actually want . If for example I was choosing between the s4 and one (which I won't be) I would still go with the s4. The only thing with the one that I would like is the speakers, stuff like the camera is a gimmick to a certain extent all phone cameras take good enough snaps right now for the vast majority of people.

I would still favour the screen of the s4 as the major factor.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    I think the S4 is the techies' favourite because Samsung is pushing protoype software which could be standard in phones within a few years. Thats why I picked it as my next phone. Apart from the social/newsfeed stuff, I can't see what's that new about the HTC One software. I have an HTC One S and haven't been convinced about the software improvements.. What I do like about the HTC One is the hardware upgrades; a camera that can do something in low light and some fancy speakers. That seems better than S4 or iPhone. But I've gone for software this year.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Why do people constantly on here think that adding features slows down a device? It doesn't, just as adding another app or program on your PC doesn't slow it down. It would if they all ran at once but they don't!