Series 8 Confirmed

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I really think we're getting a new Doctor now.

But at least we definitely have Clara for Series 8.

In defence of the Beeb there is one good reason why you would hold such news back.

What with news of the game changing finale then Hurt, Tennant and Matt in the50th - then whoever in 2014. One couldn't blame Joe Public from asking:

"Will someone just flipping well tell me who The Doctor Who is supposed to be?"
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Yes, but wouldn't they have confirmed Matt along with Jenna? We know he's doing Christmas 2013 but it is starting to look like that could be his last one.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Source and actual quote? As I never saw anything from Moffat saying that.

http://www.blastr.com/2011/08/steven-moffat-calls-those.php
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Yes, but wouldn't they have confirmed Matt along with Jenna? We know he's doing Christmas 2013 but it is starting to look like that could be his last one.

Why? If he is confirmed now, before the 50th Anniversary, we know without a doubt that he will survive it.

If they leave the confirmation until after the 50th, then we can debate whether he will survive it or not.

Him not being confirmed neither proves nor disproves his involvement with the 8th series, and is much better for the show than just telling us he is in it.

It is another way of creating dramatic tension for a drama. And why would ou want to know the definite outcome of the 50th right now? That would be most unsatisfying.
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »

That only stated they will start airing in 2012, not that the whole 14 eps will be aired then.

The writer of the article summarised it at the beginning that it would be a full season in 2012, not Moffat.
    Forum Member

BBC didn't confirm anyone, Jenna confirmed herself. BBC Have not confirmed cast yet
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    If Jenna confirmed herself, then I think it's a safe bet she is in Series 8.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That only stated they will start airing in 2012, not that the whole 14 eps will be aired then.

The writer of the article summarised it at the beginning that it would be a full season in 2912, not Moffat.

Amazing! Moffat's really gone Timey-Wimey if he's making a series for broadcast 18 months ago, and that same series is for 898 years from now. Epic. :D
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Why? If he is confirmed now, before the 50th Anniversary, we know without a doubt that he will survive it.

If they leave the confirmation until after the 50th, then we can debate whether he will survive it or not.

My money is on him playing a past doctor in the 50th just like Tennant

When he regenerates this saturday everyone will be :eek: Then when they realise he's regenerating into Clara :mad:
    Forum Member
    Amazing! Moffat's really gone Timey-Wimey if he's making a series for broadcast 18 months ago, and that same series is for 898 years from now. Epic. :D

Dammit you picked my typo up before I went back to fix it lol.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Jenna confirmed herself, then I think it's a safe bet she is in Series 8.

Yes and it's extremely likely that she signed for series 7 and 8 at the same time so has known for ages she was doing both. Whereas Matt's contract needs re-doing if he's going to appear in series 8 hence why she could say so long ago that she was doing it and he couldn't.
    Forum Member

The writer of the article summarised it at the beginning that it would be a full season in 2912, not Moffat.

Leave out the writer's interpretation. When asked if 2012 would be a shortened season the answer was "absolute nonsense". Well, it wasn't absolute nonsense. There was some sense in the suggestion. It may not have been the whole story but it most definitely was not nonsense, absolute or otherwise.

OK - so what is happening then? Well, apparently the "only" thing that is happening is a delay. Well, it wasn't "only" a delay, was it? There was also a split. A six month split. That's one thing (a delay) and also another thing (a very long gap). And also another thing - a total of 13 regular episodes and three specials across 2012 and 2013 instead of 26 regular episodes and two specials. That really is quite some deviation from saying "only" a delay, whichever way you want to look at it.

And what general expectation for the future can we have? Well, it seems "You're not going to reduce a show like this. The opposite is going to happen, in fact."

If someone were to ask you what the opposite of "fewer than fourteen every twelve months" is, do you think a reasonable person would take "six one year followed by ten the next" as a straight answer? I'd be inclined to think the person saying it had taken leave of their senses.

It's ancient history now and people should move on. But that should probably also mean dropping any pretence that it was an honest, straight and open answer. Moffat wouldn't have known back in 2011 every hitch to be faced over the coming years. But he did know that 2012 wasn't "only" about a delay and that concerns about reduced episode counts weren't "absolute nonsense".

Maybe back in 2011 he was hoping that some of series 8 would get to the screen during 2013, thereby making some sense of his comments. But if so, it was a longshot PR gamble that didn't pay off for him.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I look forward to getting three episodes from season 8 in September 2014, another five episodes in February/March 2015 and the remaining seven episodes in August 2016. :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I'm the only person who, when Moffat says something is absolutely, definitely honestly happening thinks "OK - I'll just wait and see"?

Nebo is right. There is no timescale mentioned in the Moffat quote, it's just DS speculation that series 8 follows after the Christmas Special. As far as I'm concerned, "Series 8" might just be 3 episodes in 2015!
    Forum Member
    Leave out the writer's interpretation. When asked if 2012 would be a shortened season the answer was "absolute nonsense". Well, it wasn't absolute nonsense. There was some sense in the suggestion. It may not have been the whole story but it most definitely was not nonsense, absolute or otherwise.

OK - so what is happening then? Well, apparently the "only" thing that is happening is a delay. Well, it wasn't "only" a delay, was it? There was also a split. A six month split. That's one thing (a delay) and also another thing (a very long gap). And also another thing - a total of 13 regular episodes and three specials across 2012 and 2013 instead of 26 regular episodes and two specials. That really is quite some deviation from saying "only" a delay, whichever way you want to look at it.

And what general expectation for the future can we have? Well, it seems "You're not going to reduce a show like this. The opposite is going to happen, in fact."

If someone were to ask you what the opposite of "fewer than fourteen every twelve months" is, do you think a reasonable person would take "six one year followed by ten the next" as a straight answer? I'd be inclined to think the person saying it had taken leave of their senses.

It's ancient history now and people should move on. But that should probably also mean dropping any pretence that it was an honest, straight and open answer. Moffat wouldn't have known back in 2011 every hitch to be faced over the coming years. But he did know that 2012 wasn't "only" about a delay and that concerns about reduced episode counts weren't "absolute nonsense".

Maybe back in 2011 he was hoping that some of series 8 would get to the screen during 2013, thereby making some sense of his comments. But if so, it was a longshot PR gamble that didn't pay off for him.

Actually it is still the 2012 season, as it started in 2012............
    Forum Member
    Actually it is still the 2012 season, as it started in 2012............

Yes. I know. If he intended to say "series seven will be fourteen episodes" then he would have been right. But he didn't. He also said that the "only" thing different about it was pushing it back to a later start. But unfortunately there was also the matter of the six month gap. He said there would be a reason for it that would become clear to us. He also said that we would experience the opposite of a reduction.

I sometimes find that when someone demands to see sources and actual quotes, their next thing is to try and interprete the thing in any which way than the simplest, most obvious and commonly understood way in order to avoid acknowledging it.

It really doesn't matter a fig to the audience what arbitrary label is given to the series. All they know is they had six last year and ten this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    All of 10 mins then, still thats 5 mins more that he spent writing Series 7.
    You're talents are wasted here. Stand up comedians are in great demand you know.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I look forward to getting three episodes from season 8 in September 2014, another five episodes in February/March 2015 and the remaining seven episodes in August 2016. :)

Pah, you people and your entitlement issues...a reference in a 2019 episode of Eastenders to the Metropolitan Police Boxing Club is all I need to affirm the beeb's commitment to the show.
    Forum Member
    Yes. I know. If he intended to say "series seven will be fourteen episodes" then he would have been right. But he didn't. He also said that the "only" thing different about it was pushing it back to a later start. But unfortunately there was also the matter of the six month gap. He said there would be a reason for it that would become clear to us. He also said that we would experience the opposite of a reduction.

I sometimes find that when someone demands to see sources and actual quotes, their next thing is to try and interprete the thing in any which way than the simplest, most obvious and commonly understood way in order to avoid acknowledging it.

It really doesn't matter a fig to the audience what arbitrary label is given to the series. All they know is they had six last year and ten this.

Actually, you're the one that's trying to interprete it differently, by adding more to it to suit your argument, so on that note, I'm out. He stated things, which were, and are true, you're not happy with the split. Fair enough. Me, along with people I know who aren't as big a fan as me, are just happy we are getting episodes at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad. Just be as good as you are. ;)
    Forum Member
    Actually, you're the one that's trying to interprete it differently, by adding more to it to suit your argument, so on that note, I'm out. He stated things, which were, and are true, you're not happy with the split. Fair enough. Me, along with people I know who aren't as big a fan as me, are just happy we are getting episodes at all.

I haven't said anything about my satisfaction or otherwise with the split. Someone put up a question to the thread whether the BBC have said anything leading the audience to expect a certain amount of episodes in a year. The fact is they did. Moffat did.

He was asked a straight question about the possibility of a reduction. He said it was nonsense and that the opposite of a reduction would happen.
    It doesn't matter whether you are happy or not about six episodes in 2012 and ten in 2013. its nothing to do with it.

The simple state of things is that we did not experience the opposite of a reduction.

I don't think you can point to anything I have added or manipulated in my interpretation. I have gone out of my way to be generous and sympathetic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Source and actual quote? As I never saw anything from Moffat saying that.

Yes, I quite agree, where is your source?

As far as any new Series, Specials, Christmas Specials etc go, I always wait to read official confirmation from the BBC before believing anything anyone else says in relation to this, and that includes The Moff! lol
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Pah, you people and your entitlement issues...a reference in a 2019 episode of Eastenders to the Metropolitan Police Boxing Club is all I need to affirm the beeb's commitment to the show.

Brilliant!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenna will return but we don't know which version of Clara or even if she is Clara at all so I don't think it gives anything away in that respect. Though as I said earlier they can't really mention Matt or it might give something away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Does the BBC know there's definitely a series 8 though?.

Or is this simply Moff scribbling away in his bedroom like an obsessed fanboy.

JOKE