BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 48)

Comments

• HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    doodle doo wrote: »
    yep, and i have two spare for it which is anoying if it doesn't work. it used to before it was subjected to this damp house :rolleyes:

it makes the noise soon as it starts up. no paper jams.

ETA no scanner, it's just a printer
    It's normal for the printer to test all the drive gear for the travel of the paper from it's store tray to the exit of the finished print, also all other drives and operation parts.
    I assume if this happens at start then something isn't correct.

Can you try and track down the noise so you may get an idea of where it's coming from.
    The only thing that operates toner wise is a screw that spreads toner along the length of the fuser gear that takes the toner to the drum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    Thank you. Yes, it is a paddle-steamer. There was a Mark Twain-a-like on the steamer reading from his book Roughing It and I had a long chat with him. It was because of Mark Twain’s writing that I wanted to go to Lake Tahoe.

sounds brill. i like that type of holiday where you see things and meet interesting people. if i went on holiday that is :o i've never been on a paddle steamer. they're lovely old boats though.
    Forum Member
    Janet29 wrote: »
    thats annoying Doodles :(

it may be something straightforward, does it need oiling?
    That could be the case Janet, but that is usually done by a printer mainenance person.
    If you get any oil in the wrong place the printer, or at least all the expensive parts would have to be replaced.
    They are not designed to have the buyer carry out maintenance.
    And it's pretty expensive to get them in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats annoying Doodles :(

it may be something straightforward, does it need oiling?

possibly yes. like the shredder does.
    Hicky wrote: »
    It's normal for the printer to test all the drive gear for the travel of the paper from it's store tray to the exit of the finished print, also all other drives and operation parts.
    I assume if this happens at start then something isn't correct.

Can you try and track down the noise so you may get an idea of where it's coming from.
    The only thing that operates toner wise is a screw that spreads toner along the length of the fuser gear that takes the toner to the drum.

it *might* be the fuser needs replacing as well. if that's the case i might as well buy another printer, same model, so i can use the toners up. it's a bit annoying.

i'll give it another go tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That could be the case Janet, but that is usually done by a printer mainenance person.
    If you get any oil in the wrong place the printer, or at least all the expensive parts would have to be replaced.

i've just remembered, when it first starts up it's ok for a second or so, and then as it runs through all its moving parts then the noise starts. so it's in the centre of the thing.
    Forum Member
    We have 2 printers at work, we have had loads at times bu they don't last very long.

These are worth about £5,000 each, ones a scanner copier mono laser printer, very fast.

The other is a colour laser printer..

The boss was trying to print high quality pictures but the black was sticking to the drum and jamming the thing up.

He said it won't print the pictures, i said if you bought the real toners it probably would.

The real toners cost £1,000 pound a set, the compatible ones we get cost £99 each, there is a black and 3 colours.

But to pay that price for a few pictures would be madness.
  • ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    possibly yes. like the shredder does.

it *might* be the fuser needs replacing as well. if that's the case i might as well buy another printer, same model, so i can use the toners up. it's a bit annoying.

i'll give it another go tomorrow.

How frustrating Doodles, hope you manage to sort it....
    Forum Member
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    Not watched any of it. I’ve got it recorded and I’m looking forward to watching it.

I won't spoil it for you then, will just say that we were pleased with the result.:)
  • Janet29Janet29 Posts: 22,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i wondered about that as you dont want oily printouts

thy know what they are doing when they design them, ok if you have an office and can afford maintenance but general use its not cost effective:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artemesia wrote: »
    I won't spoil it for you then, will just say that we were pleased with the result.:)

aww no i forgot to watch it, something happend that i had to sort and it went out of my mind

will catch up on iplayer...ive enjoyed it:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How frustrating Doodles, hope you manage to sort it....

thanks arte :) is the numbness wearing off now and will you be able to chew tomorrow?

thy know what they are doing when they design them, ok if you have an office and can afford maintenance but general use its not cost effective:(

in my last job i was that person who pulled the darned things apart and replaced drums, toners, belt kits and fusers. but this little thing is mightly fiddly and i can't see which part is which apart from the toner.

it's one of these. the repair kit is over £100 so i might as well buy another for fifty quid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks arte :) is the numbness wearing off now and will you be able to chew tomorrow?

in my last job i was that person who pulled the darned things apart and replaced drums, toners, belt kits and fusers. but this little thing is mightly fiddly and i can't see which part is which apart from the toner.

it's one of these. the repair kit is over £100 so i might as well buy another for fifty quid.

and the thing being if you are at work you have the right tools to...

the repair kit is expensive
    Forum Member

Numbness has gone now thanks. I slipped getting out of the car and hit myself in the face with the car door, a few weeks ago. I loosened 2 teeth in my lower jaw which had been suffering from dodgy dentistry and killed a perfectly good one.:(
    The whole scenario would take ages to explain and bore you to tears but the abridged version is that all 3 have had to come out and I have a temporary replacement with a view to getting some proper bridgework done when we can afford it.
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    I had to clear up a disgusting mess on my grass in the back garden yesterday, didn't tell the O/H she would have gone berserk, i saw the culprit just scraping the grass to cover it.

I would have shot the cat but it's not allowed, don't think so anyway.
    I told my neighbour his cat is on my wanted list.
    They won't shat on their own doorstep, all he does it feed it.
    What earthly good is it to him?
    Well you see Hicky, many people agree with you that wild animals should be in the wild, and that is what wild cats do.
    It must make you very happy to see them as nature intended. :)
    Forum Member

It's not oil on the printouts thats the problem, as much as the oil getting on the drum or fusion area's that actually put the toner onto the paper, they would be ruined.

You can buy all in one printers upwards from £40.
    Or, as i prefer a Dell.
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=dell+all+in+one+printer&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1647822159629619979&sa=X&ei=w8NcULGYAcfZ0QXo4oCYBQ&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAQ
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds a bit daft - over £100 for a repair kit or £50 to buy a whole new one.... bet they dont sell many repair kits!! :eek:
    Forum Member

Oh dear, i've had a lot of dealings with the 1100.

In an office i worked in quite a few years ago we had 4 of them, none of them would take to paper in properly, it either took none or tried to take the lot, an absolute disaster.

I asked a printer seller/mender at a computer show, he said put some sandpaper through it to try and roughen up the paper intake rollers.
    But as they were the company ones i had to throw them all in the rubbish.
    A disaster they were, had to buy all new one, but not the 1100.
    Most printers are awful these days, but the all in ones are worth a shot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Numbness has gone now thanks. I slipped getting out of the car and hit myself in the face with the car door, a few weeks ago. I loosened 2 teeth in my lower jaw which had been suffering from dodgy dentistry and killed a perfectly good one.:(
    The whole scenario would take ages to explain and bore you to tears but the abridged version is that all 3 have had to come out and I have a temporary replacement with a view to getting some proper bridgework done when we can afford it.

owch! i hope the temporary ones are ok for a good while. i had a temporary filling for years before it finally popped out so even temporary jobs can last i think.
    It's not oil on the printouts thats the problem, as much as the oil getting on the drum or fusion area's that actually put the toner onto the paper, they would be ruined.

You can buy all in one printers upwards from £40.
    Or, as i prefer a Dell.
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=dell+all+in+one+printer&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1647822159629619979&sa=X&ei=w8NcULGYAcfZ0QXo4oCYBQ&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAQ

i have 3 toners already for this one so i need to get the same model again else i'm wasting money on new toner.
    Barracute wrote: »
    That sounds a bit daft - over £100 for a repair kit or £50 to buy a whole new one.... bet they dont sell many repair kits!! :eek:

ha! yes. i was surprised they're that much. silly really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, i've had a lot of dealings with the 1100.

In an office i worked in quite a few years ago we had 4 of them, none of them would take to paper in properly, it either took none or tried to take the lot, an absolute disaster.

I asked a printer seller/mender at a computer show, he said put some sandpaper through it to try and roughen up the paper intake rollers.
    But as they were the company ones i had to throw them all in the rubbish.
    A disaster they were, had to buy all new one, but not the 1100.
    Most printers are awful these days, but the all in ones are worth a shot.

yes i used the thingy HP sent out to make it take more than one page. but like i say i have to buy the same model because i have toner to use up. it's been jolly good to me. it only needs to take one sheet at a time because the biggest thing it will ever print is a CV :)
    Forum Member

Have just seen this on a review.

if you are buying these units check with HP regarding a separator pad upgrade.
    They were free for a time.
    Basically the skid pad that separates the paper as it is fed in gets worn and the printer tends to double feed.
    After I did this upgrade to my units I was pushing 100,000 pages printed on some of my machines.
    Thats what i was getting, a disaster.
    Forum Member
    yes i used the thingy HP sent out to make it take more than one page. but like i say i have to buy the same model because i have toner to use up. it's been jolly good to me. it only needs to take one sheet at a time because the biggest thing it will ever print is a CV :)
    How on earth have you got 3 toners for it?

If it will work by just putting in 1 sheet at a time thats fine.

Your toners will last about 40 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth have you got 3 toners for it?

If it will work by just putting in 1 sheet at a time thats fine.

Your toners will last about 40 years.

an office around here had the same printer but changed to new ones and so threw out the toners. but i knew someone who worked there so i got the rescued toners :)
    Forum Member
    an office around here had the same printer but changed to new ones and so threw out the toners. but i knew someone who worked there so i got the rescued toners :)
    Oh, i see, i threw 4 complete away, and all the spare toners, it must have been about 10 years ago now though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on a side note, i'm terribly sorry to bore everybody away :o new thread soon maybe and we can pretend the whole thing never existed ;)
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That was lucky :D

Dont blame you wanting to get the same one again if you have to replace it - thats a lot of toner, as Hicky says will last you a bit :)
This discussion has been closed.