Will you miss the "Fangirls" who are going to stop watching?

Comments

• CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    Hell No
    It is funny how the word 'Fangirls' now includes Matt Smiths, fine when you needed them I suppose.
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Moogle wrote: »
    So what if some people only watch the show for a bit of eye candy?

It's the double standard of men. It's alright for them to have a former popstar as a companion, or Amy Pond with her legs out every episode or Clara in a "skirt that's just a little too tight." But heaven forbid that women should be able to enjoy the charisma of the leading man of the show :rolleyes:.

Honestly anyone would think that had cast two hollywood plastic cutouts with the acting skills of a plank of wood rather than two charismatic actors who are more attractive for that charisma than anything else.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Thank you, thank you so much for this comment!

Since this morning, all I read is hate and derision towards so-called fangirls and terribly shallow young viewers who apparently are all madly in love with Doctors 10 and 11 (seriously?) and will all immediately stop watching as soon as the actor who plays the Doctor is over 30.

Where have you met all those people, or heard their reaction? I have yet to meet a single one of them.

Also, have you ever considered the following:

1. The man most commonly named as the "teen sex symbol Doctor", David Tennant, is actually 42.

2. Matt Smith is only 30 (which, I can assure you, is not the same as being a teen, but I'll accept it's young), but the way he played the character could not have been farther removed from a stereotypical sexy young male figure. You'd have to be a certain level of geeky to fall for his Doctor, definitely not someone just looking for "hot&sexy".

3. Peter Capaldi has lots of charisma, and could definitely pull off "attractive" if he chose to.

Agreed.
  • HerefordgirlHerefordgirl Posts: 3,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell No
    I was pretty shocked when a middle aged female friend of mine said "Dr Who is meant to be hunky" because that is not a word I'd use to describe any Who in history. Matt Smith always gave me the creeps!
  • MixstarMixstar Posts: 9,290
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Show's producers and BBC might. This is a serious poll question? Again, academic result. :P :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Hell No
    Well if they stop watching just for the doctor being 'old' then I say good riddance as you can not say they are true fans of dr who.
  • KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell No
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45d8kn5hApg

Theres a good example
  • Mr_MoogleMr_Moogle Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Yes
    claire239 wrote: »
    Well if they stop watching just for the doctor being 'old' then I say good riddance as you can not say they are true fans of dr who.

Most people are viewers and not die hard fans whose opinions and views are equally as valid as anyone else.

My personal opinion is an older doctor could be a refreshing and exciting change. Yet the writing style and production will need to dramatically change for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Hell No
    pickwick wrote: »
    Exactly. I started watching because I adore Chris Eccleston, and I bet I could now beat half of these people on any True Who Fan quiz they cared to come up with.

Me too: Christopher was my way in.

I would fail a quiz. But I can already imagine Twelve taking my hands in his, giving me that intense stare, and telling me everything is going to be alright. Mr. Capaldi will do very nicely, thank you!
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Hell No
    Amyy. wrote: »
    To be honest, it's the 'fangirls' that help keep the show going...

Rubbish.

The show was around long before some of these 'fangirls' were even a gleam in daddy's eye, and their departure wouldn't make a ha'porth of difference.

Not everyone watches Who to lust after 'hot young' actors.

If they choose not to 'squee' and wet themselves over Capaldi, they'll just have to find someone else to fancy. There are lots of other shows out there for them after all.
  • jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    It is funny how the word 'Fangirls' now includes Matt Smiths, fine when you needed them I suppose.

Yes , nicely noted - any port in a storm and all that..

Age? Looks? Doesn't really matter does it..

It's all about acting ability and charisma.

Matt Smith made it count on screen, but as you rightly say he's suddenly now seen as the poster boy that'll mean viewers will depart with him!

He was brilliant, and I suspect Capaldi will be too.. Different, but still hopefully brilliant. And charisma? In spades..
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought the idea was that these Fangirls were Tennant Fangirls who were annoying because they couldn't "let go" of Tennant, and "move on" to Smith.

Are there now hitherto unsuspected Smith Fangirls who can't move on from Smith? Have they joined forces?

Will there be Capaldi Fangirls a bit further down the line? Are you allowed to be more than one type of Fangirl or do you have to pick your Doctor and remain faithful until death?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you seen his Mumsnet appreciation thread? The 16 year olds will just be replaced by 46 year olds!
  • KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell No
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Have you seen his Mumsnet appreciation thread? The 16 year olds will just be replaced by 46 year olds!

I avoid that site, rather like Camelot I find it an odd funny place, especially after users on it suggested that people only went to Centre parcs to have a certain type of love making
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Is there a "I don't really spend my time fretting about the reasons other fans watch, I just like to watch the show and talk about it amongst fellow fans" option?

There's no such thing as a "true" or "proper" Who fan.
    If they watch the show, that's enough for me, couldn't care less why they're watching it, we're all Who fans under the same banner and if some clueless Eastenders fan or some other member of society takes some cheap shot at our show, we'll all stand together anyway.

So this divide and conquer sort of thread isn't really anything that should be celebrated.
  • DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Hell No
    older Doctor is great - if the BBC want eye candy then that can be provided by the assistants
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, because it survived 26 years without fangirls
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell No

They have been around for 7 of the 50 years. I think the show will cope ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Whovian snobs :rolleyes: Doesn't matter if you're 8 or 80, Doctor Who is for the kid in us all. Everyone is a fan girl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean there won't be a We Want Peter Capaldi's Babies Club? :(

Why not, nothing wrong with older actors: I was a member of the 'We want to give Liz Sladen Babies Club'...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can actually pin point to the second the very moment her heart broke.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't miss them because - in my opinion - most of them won't go. I hope they won't anyway, because I don't want them to miss out on all the good stories I hope are coming.

In short, fangirls are, or should be, as welcome a part of the fanbase as any other. I think a lot of younger fans (not only girls) are finding it a bit of a shock, but I hope they'll come round.

To be fair, if Anne Widdecombe had walked out on that stage, my reaction might have made that youtube girl's look like sheer joy by comparison!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I won't miss them because - in my opinion - most of them won't go. I hope they won't anyway, because I don't want them to miss out on all the good stories I hope are coming.

In short, fangirls are, or should be, as welcome a part of the fanbase as any other. I think a lot of younger fans (not only girls) are finding it a bit of a shock, but I hope they'll come round.

To be fair, if Anne Widdecombe had walked out on that stage, my reaction might have made that youtube girl's look like sheer joy by comparison!

Congratulations!.This is possibly the most misogynistic piece of crap I've ever read on here! Your fellow whovians must be so proud,
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Hell No
    Thankfully, those who will be switching off because Capaldi doesn't fit the stereotypical "young and fit" bill make up a very, very small minority of viewers (female or otherwise). The show will manage without them, just like it has managed without those who stopped watching after Tennant went.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Hell No
    LaniGrey wrote: »
    Congratulations!.This is possibly the most misogynistic piece of crap I've ever read on here! Your fellow whovians must be so proud,

In what way was that post misogynistic? I thought it was anything but. :confused: