Free HD channels

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
I'm currently paying £10 for a Sky+ subscription and freesat.

I have been offered a cheap HD Sky box from a friend. Would I be able to watch any HD channels (i.e. BBCHD) without increasing my monthly subsciption.

Comments

• slacker17slacker17 Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC only AFAIK (on astra 2 at least)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you already pay the sky+ £10 then the HD wont cost any more and you will get all the HD channels except Movies & Sport unless you subscribe to the Movies & Sports packs.
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    vinnie wrote:
    if you already pay the sky+ £10 then the HD wont cost any more and you will get all the HD channels except Movies & Sport unless you subscribe to the Movies & Sports packs.

That's only the case if the person subscribes to any of the mixes, and as they say, they have freesat. So it is only BBC HD you'll get.

If the OP is prepared to pay an extra £15 a month for two mixes, you will get all the non sports & movies HD channels regardless of which mixes you pick, with the £10 a month already paid for Sky+ being the HD sub which includes the Sky+ features.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Hi, when you say "you will get all the non sports & movies HD channels regardless of which mixes you pick" am i right in thinking you are saying that i would get sky one HD even if i did not pick the entertainment mix? Or Discovery HD even if i don't take the knowledge mix as i have paid the tenner HD subs?

I did not know that!
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cocks3 wrote:
    Hi, when you say "you will get all the non sports & movies HD channels regardless of which mixes you pick" am i right in thinking you are saying that i would get sky one HD even if i did not pick the entertainment mix? Or Discovery HD even if i don't take the knowledge mix as i have paid the tenner HD subs?

I did not know that!

Sorry, but no you won't.
  • firestarter.ukfirestarter.uk Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Yes you will.

I get NatGeoHD, DiscHD, HistHD and ArtsHD even though I don't subscribe to the Docs and Lifestyle & Culture mixes.

(No idea why some people can & some can't receive them)
    Forum Member
    cocks3 wrote:

I did not know that!

Yes, it certainly was the case at launch, don't think they've changed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    vinnie wrote:

Yep I get all that for £10 a month even though many on here were telling me I wouldnt get it as we got our HD from that offer of get a TV and get HD box installed for £150 thing about 6 months ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    What are the current list of free to air HD channels available through my sky hd box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,222
    Forum Member
    trenry wrote: »
    What are the current list of free to air HD channels available through my sky hd box.

BBC HD, Luxe TV HD, Ch4 HD is FTV so needs a card. ITV HD isn't available at all on Sky. Think that's it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    There is RushHD but I'm not sure what cards are nneded to get this.
  • not007not007 Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Snoods wrote: »
    BBC HD, Luxe TV HD, Ch4 HD is FTV so needs a card. ITV HD isn't available at all on Sky. Think that's it.

I get these channels and can watch/record BBC HD. I can only watch Ch 4 HD and not able to record this channel, is this correct?
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    not007 wrote: »
    I get these channels and can watch/record BBC HD. I can only watch Ch 4 HD and not able to record this channel, is this correct?
    If this is a statement and not a question the answer is - no it is not correct! You should be able to record C4HD!

If you cannot it is most likely that you have not had the smartcard paired with the Sky+HD box.
    Forum Member
    jdslater1 wrote: »
    There is RushHD but I'm not sure what cards are nneded to get this.

Rush HD is a subscription channel and is part of the HD Mix.
  • andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    surely if a person has freesat they would get bbchd aswell? no need for skyHD sub? as this is the only free to view channel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,222
    Forum Member
    andybno1 wrote: »
    surely if a person has freesat they would get bbchd aswell? no need for skyHD sub? as this is the only free to view channel

I have freesat (BBC/ITV) and the HD channels i get are BBC HD, ITV HD, Luxe TV HD.

The only other one that is missing is CH4 HD but you need a freesatfromsky card for that as it's not FTA, it's FTV.

ITV HD isn't available on Sky as you probably know. :)
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andybno1 wrote: »

Not sure I understand your point. Everybody knows that BBC HD is available on a Freesat HD box (but not a standard Freesat box) - along with ITV HD.

Everybody knows that BBC HD is available for free on a Sky HD box - along with Luxe HD and C4 HD. So it obviously isn't the only free to view channel - both platforms offer other FTA/FTV high definition output also.

What point are you trying to get across? That somebody who only wants BBC HD could get it using a Freesat HD box? Correct. But nobody other than you has mentioned Freesat HD - the question was "If I cancel my Sky HD subscription what high definition channels will I still be able to receive on my Sky HD box?".

The OP has FreesatfromSky (note, this thread was started almost 18 months ago, long before the BBC/ITV Freesat platform existed) - but doesn't have Freesat HD.
  • gazzer1970gazzer1970 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Yes you will.

I get NatGeoHD, DiscHD, HistHD and ArtsHD even though I don't subscribe to the Docs and Lifestyle & Culture mixes.

(No idea why some people can & some can't receive them)

you get these channels as part of the HD mix it doesn't depend on whether or not you subscribe to the other mixes
  • andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    Not sure I understand your point. Everybody knows that BBC HD is available on a Freesat HD box (but not a standard Freesat box) - along with ITV HD.

Everybody knows that BBC HD is available for free on a Sky HD box - along with Luxe HD and C4 HD. So it obviously isn't the only free to view channel - both platforms offer other FTA/FTV high definition output also.

What point are you trying to get across? That somebody who only wants BBC HD could get it using a Freesat HD box? Correct. But nobody other than you has mentioned Freesat HD - the question was "If I cancel my Sky HD subscription what high definition channels will I still be able to receive on my Sky HD box?".

The OP has FreesatfromSky (note, this thread was started almost 18 months ago, long before the BBC/ITV Freesat platform existed) - but doesn't have Freesat HD.

wow...... just wow
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    After reading some information on the subject on this forum (not this thread) I cancelled by HD sub and all premium channels. I now have all mixes at £22 per month. I was expecting to get BBC HD, C4 HD and Luxe HD but I can receive none of them.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    markfraser wrote: »
    After reading some information on the subject on this forum (not this thread) I cancelled by HD sub and all premium channels. I now have all mixes at £22 per month. I was expecting to get BBC HD, C4 HD and Luxe HD but I can receive none of them.
    Pardon?? BBCHD and LuxeTV are not encrypted!

What happens when you tune to them??
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markfraser wrote: »

Are you sure you still have a Sky HD box?