That's because bow ties are cool!

Haha, indeed! - and cute, when worn by Matt Smith :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    That's hilarious:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Haha, indeed! - and cute, when worn by Matt Smith :p

Quite! He looks great, but I can't see how many other people are going to be able to carry them off unless they really are aged professors, who I presume would already have some!
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    As trends go this is almost as stupid as young girls colouring their hair grey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than having your pants showing?

<old git>

Seriously, whats all that about?

I think we should organise a team of crack grannies to rove the streets and whenever they find young men with their trousers round their arse the grannies would pull them up for them and then clean their faces with a cat lick.

I feel I should go up to these young men and explain. I remember the fashion disasters of the 70s and in hindsight I wish someone had come up to me and said, "You look a complete TOOL". Perhaps I could save them from that fate?

</old git>
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    My son has already had two maroon ones, for his outfit, the first he lost, the second I have told him if it goes astray then that is it.

He now wants a dark blue one!

We had to buy them new from the outfitters, we tried the charity shps in town, but the woman said they had had a rush on them, and 6 people in 24 hours had asked for bow ties!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I found a tweed waistcoat in a wardrobe in my house but my mum won't tell me where there is a bowtie in my house because she refuses to let me wear them both together :(
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, good bow ties :D But I do worry given the Daily Heil's indignant article on tonight's last five minutes...will there be an increase in...
    ...women becoming predatory in order to try and sleep with men considerably older than themselves?

:D
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pazozo wrote: »
    I found a tweed waistcoat in a wardrobe in my house but my mum won't tell me where there is a bowtie in my house because she refuses to let me wear them both together :(

Is this a fear of Who geekdom, a fashion concern..

...or is it deeply personal? :(

I remember wanting an army cap to go to a fancy dress party when I was very little, asked my mum if my grandad had one (he had fairly recently died) and she yelled at me for even asking.

I was such an insensitive dunce back then :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How funny, there could be a Doctor Who clothing range! Well, you can get pretty much everything else Who!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Is this a fear of Who geekdom, a fashion concern..

...or is it deeply personal? :(

I remember wanting an army cap to go to a fancy dress party when I was very little, asked my mum if my grandad had one (he had fairly recently died) and she yelled at me for even asking.

I was such an insensitive dunce back then :(

I think it's a fashion concern more than anything, I was also wearing a pocket watch...then again she didn't complain when I went to school dressed as a pirate for no reason, or a 50s school girl, or in a cape (it's my last weeks of school, I ignore uniform rules)
    I still want to find that bowtie!
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Strangely I just bought a red one today from the vintage clothes shop in Sheffield. It was only £2 and they had quite a selection of red ones. I also got some matching vintage braces too! I'm wearing them to a fancy dress party (the theme is 1930s but the host is a DW fan so I'm hoping he doesn't mind! :p)!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    My son has appropriated his Dad's bow tie and is going around in a shirt and a jacket! He also wants braces after seeing the picture in this weeks TV guide!
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    My little one also had to have braces, he has the full outfit now apart from appropriate shoes. He is a stickler for detail :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, good bow ties :D But I do worry given the Daily Heil's indignant article on tonight's last five minutes...will there be an increase in...
    ...women becoming predatory in order to try and sleep with men considerably older than themselves?

:D

I have no issues with that, Just as long as they are of a legal age :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Well the Doc has always thought he was a natty dresser so I think it's nice that the public are finally acclaiming him as a fashion icon. I wonder if celery sales went up in the 80s
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if celery sales went up in the 80s

Wouldn't be that odd. I'm guessing they used to sell shoes and hats in grocers in the 20s after their surge in popularity as food products.

(Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel :D)